Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Caporegime
Looking good matson! You need a bigger desk though :p

What is the anti-glare finish like compared to the LG?

Be interesting to hear what you think of motion clarity compared to the LG too :)

Soldato
Looking good matson! You need a bigger desk though :p

What is the anti-glare finish like compared to the LG?

Be interesting to hear what you think of motion clarity compared to the LG too :)

haha yeah that's why I didn't go for the Philips no room :D. This just manages to fit.
The finish looks very similar to the LG from what I can see. If you thought the anti glare finish on that looked good you definatly wont be disappointed with the Samsung.

Soldato
Tried some Assetto Corsa and didn't notice any ghosting. It felt smoother than the LG too. Maybe because of the 2.9ms compared to the 8.3 on the LG.
So far the only slight negatives for me are that there is still a little reddish tint at the sides of the screen. Maybe that will settle more in time. The middle is perfect and whites are white but the whites at the side have a red tint but its not so bad.
My monitor leans slightly to the left aswell.

Not sure where the comments about sharpness not being good on this monitor came from too it looks as sharp as the LG to me.
Its nearly double the contrast ratio of the LG also. I think my LG measured around 1000 and this measures around 1800.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got mine today:

IMG_20150225_164112_zpsnny23899.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is lovely. Got it side by side with an IPS and it is hard to see a difference. Got mine on a vesa mount as the stand that comes with it is huge but I had no issues with it for the short time i used it.

Now all i need is a second one to go side by side :p

Associate
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-001-PL&groupid=17&catid=1992

That one there. Is a very solid stand with no issues, technically this monitor is outside the 30" limit but the weight of it is comparable to 30" monitors so I am sure it will be fine. Had to tighten up the adjustable bolt on the up down motion as the weight of the monitor kept dropping it. It is 7.7kg without a stand which is the same as 27" monitors with their stand still attached.

Soldato
Updated settings as the colour shifted a little after a few hours of use.

Remember these might not be any good for anyone else but these give 6501k Colour temp and 121cd/m2 for me which is perfect.

Use the default profile and then change the settings on the actual monitor.

Brightness = 21
Contrast = 85
Red = 44
Green = 35
Blue = 41
Gamma = Mode 3

adjust the brightness to suit your taste but 21 is perfect for me during the night. On a bright day you will want it higher most likely.

My results. A proper calibration really does make a huge difference.

al2eprg.jpg

Soldato
ive found after a weeks use im slowly increasing the brightness, could be me but the image seems to improve the more i use it, could be like a fine wine improving with time

Soldato
Yeah it looking like a keeper at the moment. There is some clouding but its not noticible at all with normal use and barely noticible when I have the lights out and a full black screen. Compared to the bleed I had on the LG its far better.
Jasonst888 how are you finding yours?

Last edited:
Soldato
Been playing with mine for a bit now and I'm pretty happy with it. The colours are on a par with my previous IPS panel and so far no issues with reponse time or ghosting in the games I've played. I did find it was pretty essential to turn on Vsync as screen tearing is very noticeable on this monitor without it. Not sure if that's due to the size of the panel, refresh rate or the aspect making it worse. Having said that I played counterstrike, Titanfall last night and no problems. Skyrim looks fantastic and that was only running it at 16:9 1440p. Incidentally black levels are great so no issue with any bleed/light in the corners impacting any games you need to run 16:9 with bars at the side. It's very good at that resolution too since it's exactly the same size as a 27" 1440 monitor in 16:9 mode. Need to find a way to get it running at 1440p as I know it can be done looking at videos online.

The only negative I've noticed which has been mentioned is the colour shift when moving from side to side. If you put a single colour background across the entire monitor it's very noticeable that it isn't totally consistent from left to right. Also, whist not enough to be visably noticeable, my stand is about 1cm out from the left and the right side of the montor so there is a very slight lean on it. It's not noticeable but it's disappointing that Samsung don't seem able to consistently keep the monitor level!

As others have mentioned the out of the box brightness is way too severe and I found it better around the 20-30 mark. It's also probably down to me coming from a 1080p monitor but I'm finding the text and some Windows fonts quite small. I might get used to it over time however.

Very happy with it in general though and it's a fantastic replacement for a dual monitor setup. I'm totally sold on the 21:9 3440x1440 aspect ratio and resolution. There really is no going back to 16:9 after trying one and I'm pretty confident we'll see this become a standard as time goes on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Couple of pictures just to show that theres no bleed. This is how it looks during normal use.
There is clouding but you cant see it unless you turn the brightness up really high and turn the lights off completely. In normal use it looks like these.

9EV2DQL.jpg

6DGK7o6.jpg

Soldato
Here is my ICC profile to go with the posted settings.

http://speedy.sh/phjQe/SE790C.icm

Just click where it says slow download and youll download it.

Brightness = 21
Contrast = 85
Red = 44
Green = 35
Blue = 41
Colour tone = custom
Gamma = Mode 3

You can try the profile by itself but for me personally it goes with these monitor settings.

Last edited:
Associate
Here is my ICC profile to go with the posted settings.

http://speedy.sh/phjQe/SE790C.icm

Just click where it says slow download and youll download it.

Brightness = 21
Contrast = 85
Red = 44
Green = 35
Blue = 41
Colour tone = custom
Gamma = Mode 3

You can try the profile by itself but for me personally it goes with these monitor settings.

Thanks @Matson - those settings work very well for me (my brightness is at 57 however... I can't believe it when people say 20-30). Still on the fence about this monitor though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom