Bikers What Cam Do You Use?

Man of Honour
gopro_vintage_04-355x500.jpg

:D

To add to the OP's question - those who use separate sound recorders (Zoom H1/H2N etc) - what do you use? Poor quality audio with no mic input is normal on a £100 action cam, so a separate sound recorder is needed too.
Use your phone.

Associate
I bought my GoPro 3+ Black for snowboarding and surfing footage but I have put it on my helmet and used the suction cup on the fuel tank for some good angles of riding.

I've had the GoPro for over a year now and its very easy to turn on and start a video with the two large buttons and loud beeps for confirmation. You can set the GoPro to start recording on start up should you want that instant on footage capture.

Yes the extras cost a little more than other manufactures but there is no shortage of useful mounts and add ons.

I film in 1080p@60fps for slow-mo playback smoothness :)

Soldato
Sjc 4000 for £40 and a mic connected to your phone is the best way to try it out with good video quality.

Those go-pro copies :D Isn't there one that uses the exact same mountings as the go-pro? So if you 'upgraded' you wouldn't have to re mount on your helmet.

Edit: In fact it was one that fits in the go-pro housing, was on a Digital Rev (photography reviews) youtube video a week or 2 ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
GoPros are ok. They're a bit square and don't look that good mounted on a helmet imo. Also, I think you have the separate controller, so might be hard to turn it on with gloves?

There's the Contour Roam 3 which is £170. That has a nice big on button and starts recording immediately, same as the Contour2, so perfect for daily use on the bike. It also has a mic port.

Soldato
Innov C3. Wire it into the bike, never have to worry about charging it, pressing record etc.

Wow, they're only £80. Tempted by that. My Contour is a pain to turn on every morning to commute, would love to have something that's permanently on when the bike is on.

Do you mount a button on the handlebars or something to save footage?

Edit: Does it have a cut off or something to stop it draining the bike's battery?

Last edited:
Soldato
Those go-pro copies :D Isn't there one that uses the exact same mountings as the go-pro? So if you 'upgraded' you wouldn't have to re mount on your helmet.

Edit: In fact it was one that fits in the go-pro housing, was on a Digital Rev (photography reviews) youtube video a week or 2 ago.

Did you completely ignore my post ? :p

Man of Honour
GoPros are ok. They're a bit square and don't look that good mounted on a helmet imo. Also, I think you have the separate controller, so might be hard to turn it on with gloves?

There's the Contour Roam 3 which is £170. That has a nice big on button and starts recording immediately, same as the Contour2, so perfect for daily use on the bike. It also has a mic port.

The advantage with the GoPro and clones is you can put it in by far the best mounting position, the chin.

With the bullet cameras you have to have a daft lopsided view with the helmet taking up 1/3 the screen, or put it on top of your head where all videos make you feel like your're floating because of the weird perspective.

The GoPro is very easy to turn on and off with gloves and has one button recording like everyone else.

Soldato
I like the side position where there's a little helmet showing :D gives a reference point in the video.

Is the chin mount position with a gopro easy to get right? it's the only way I'd mount one, too much sticking out if you mount it elsewhere.

Man of Honour
Chin mount is best mount:

I used a Hero 3+ Black and a Neewar mic there.

The chin mount is helmet dependent as you ideally want a non-angular surface to mount it on. Mine is a pain but still easy enough to do with a little brain power.

Soldato
I use a roam2. The video quality isn't that good compared to what you can get these days, but for the price it's pretty good. Also, the night lighting is really bad.

Good as an every day camera.

Associate
Do you mount a button on the handlebars or something to save footage?

you can set it to loop record and it'll just keep overwriting the oldest footage first.

Edit: Does it have a cut off or something to stop it draining the bike's battery?
i've wired mine to the ignition, there's a couple of settings in it to come on and start recording when it receives power, and then to stay on recording for a set time after it loses power

3486nag.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom