Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I want to drop about 6kg. I'd like to get to 70kg. I've not even thought about how to do it, though. The last few months of the year are always terrible, as I drink more then and eat so much rubbish at work as everyone is stressed so it's non stop cakes and sweets.

Soldato
Forgot how good proper mudguards are, not raining but wet on the ground get to work and still 100% dry. Still doesn't mean the hours on Saturday were any better though.

Soldato

Very cool, would be nice to only show rides as there's lots of routes around here that people run but you wouldn't usually ride (unless commuting/pavement riders do!?). Good to see the regular routes (and those encouraged by local clubs/shops) are easily the most travelled around here, showing much more riding focused areas in the 2015 map than the 2014. There's been a big increase in riders during 2015 also, enough for me to notice (and I didn't do much leisure/social riding in 2014).

Well, as you own one of each model of mudguard you would know. Boom :p

Guilty as charged. Raceblade V2's fitted to the mrs' new ride over the holiday. Highly recommended! :p

Checked this morning and 3kg of xmas flab :( (well, really that's just over two months of severe inactivity and eating badly)

Time to get serious about things again.

Ride in this morning was painful too. Crazy HR figures given the relatively mild pace.

I was up to 82kg yesterday morning, must've been water as I'm back down to 80.4kg again this morning (after only a 1.5 hr turbo session yesterday).

Commute in felt good, felt fast and I realised I was pushing quite hard for some of it for some reason so had to force myself to back off... Too much energy from all the cheese and chocolate? Increase in power/stamina? More than likely just well rested! Will see how the week pans out. :cool:

Going back to the turbo session yesterday, I did a 75/80 mins High Intensity Recovery with 2 sets of 3*3 minute over/under intervals. With my FTP set quite conservative (200) the intervals were at 210/190W which I found ok for this duration - will maybe creep up the FTP by 10 or 15 to really train at. Although over this duration (3 mins at each with no recovery, then 15 mins active recovery @120W between sets) I did have to dig a little to hit the power targets in the second set. May need to hunt down a narrower cassette as switching gear and holding 85 & 92+ cadence was the only ways I could hit them and hold, would be better to have 90 cadence for each! :o

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I felt relatively good on the way in. Not too much grief from my knee and I quite enjoyed the new upright riding position with risers. But I don't think I need some straight-topped ones because I didn't get on well with the slight sweep back on the ones I've got.

Weight after Christmas: 69kg. Weight gained/lost: 0kg :D

But that's misleading, because I'm ~69kg at triathlon race weight and I'm currently not carrying any upper body muscle and my fixed gear legs have mostly faded away :p

Soldato
Good ride in this morning, traffic wasn't too bad considering what it has been like before Christmas, think it helps that some of the schools are having a teachers training day.

First time since I've cycled by my area and rode with another 'proper' cyclist (gear and a decent bike) but he showed me up considering he could track stand like a boss at every traffic light... oh how I wish I could.

2016 Goals:

• 4,500+ Miles
  • Mad March Hare Sportive (71 Miles, Local)
  • 2/4 Club runs a month = 2 x 100KM
  • New Summer Bike
  • Work out my numbers (FTP etc.)
  • Try to find a good training loop to make use of those numbers!
Not too fussed about average speed as going by all the different routes local to me, some are lumpy, some are flat and some are all over the place!

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know of any "budget oriented" rims with an offset spoke bed? 32h drilling.

I've seen Velcoity A23 OC at £57 and DTRR440 at ~£65, but i'd rather something in the £30-40 region for winter use

Caporegime
Hmm, I need to come up with some goals. Let's think...

2016 goals

• First and foremost, enjoy myself. I don't want this to become too much like hard work!
  • Commute by bike for a significant majority of the time. This should be easy, as the new job I'm starting in mid-Feb is in a really good location for cycling to. It'll probably only be an issue in Winter or if we have some dire weather at other times of the year.
  • Cover 7,500 miles. This is about double what I did this year. The majority will be commuting!
  • Get a power meter and figure out what the hell to do with it.
  • No new bikes, but some upgrades to existing ones. Gotta do some fixing and fiddling!
  • 6 rides at least metric century in length. Do one of those on my single speed bike. 1 imperial century - probably the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool sportive in July.
  • See the Tour of Britain for the fourth year running! Hopefully there will be a stage reasonably close by!
  • Ride all over the place. Get in lots of variety in terms of where I go. I may even draw up a list of particular climbs and segments or routes that I want to do during the year and then I can tick them off as I go.
  • Do more group riding - I fell away from this a lot last year, and I'd like to get back to it. Say 1 group ride a month?
  • Stretch goal - get my Eddington number up to 45. It's currently 42, and I need to do 14 days with total rides of more than 45 miles to get to 45.

As advised, I'm not going to worry too much about average speed... The majority of my riding will be commuting, which could go either way speed wise once I start my new route, particularly as half will be very stop start in traffic and half will be totally open country that I can blitz through.

I may add to this list if anything else particularly leaps to mind...

Associate
Checked this morning and 3kg of xmas flab :( (well, really that's just over two months of severe inactivity and eating badly)

Time to get serious about things again.

Ride in this morning was painful too. Crazy HR figures given the relatively mild pace.

Tell me about it. Just back from holiday and that combined with christmas and doing very little riding since September, I'm four and a half kilos up on my weight in August. :(

Went out and did our usual training route this morning solo and it was hellish. Pace was slow but my heart rate seemed to think i was doing a 10 mile TT! Hit 189bpm just trying to get up the road along from my house and i wasn't pushing it at all.

Got a shed load of work to put in between now and the clocks changing. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Hmm, I need to come up with some goals. Let's think...

2016 goals

• First and foremost, enjoy myself. I don't want this to become too much like hard work!
  • Commute by bike for a significant majority of the time. This should be easy, as the new job I'm starting in mid-Feb is in a really good location for cycling to. It'll probably only be an issue in Winter or if we have some dire weather at other times of the year.
  • Cover 7,500 miles. This is about double what I did this year. The majority will be commuting!
  • Get a power meter and figure out what the hell to do with it.
  • No new bikes, but some upgrades to existing ones. Gotta do some fixing and fiddling!
  • 6 rides at least metric century in length. Do one of those on my single speed bike. 1 imperial century - probably the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool sportive in July.
  • See the Tour of Britain for the fourth year running! Hopefully there will be a stage reasonably close by!
  • Ride all over the place. Get in lots of variety in terms of where I go. I may even draw up a list of particular climbs and segments or routes that I want to do during the year and then I can tick them off as I go.
  • Do more group riding - I fell away from this a lot last year, and I'd like to get back to it. Say 1 group ride a month?
  • Stretch goal - get my Eddington number up to 45. It's currently 42, and I need to do 14 days with total rides of more than 45 miles to get to 45.

As advised, I'm not going to worry too much about average speed... The majority of my riding will be commuting, which could go either way speed wise once I start my new route, particularly as half will be very stop start in traffic and half will be totally open country that I can blitz through.

I may add to this list if anything else particularly leaps to mind...

Looking forwards to bumping into you more often on your new commute!

Soldato
First time since I've cycled by my area and rode with another 'proper' cyclist (gear and a decent bike) but he showed me up considering he could track stand like a boss at every traffic light... oh how I wish I could.

2016 Goals:

• 4,500+ Miles
  • Mad March Hare Sportive (71 Miles, Local)
  • 2/4 Club runs a month = 2 x 100KM
  • New Summer Bike
  • Work out my numbers (FTP etc.)
  • Try to find a good training loop to make use of those numbers!
Not too fussed about average speed as going by all the different routes local to me, some are lumpy, some are flat and some are all over the place!

• A good mileage to aim for when commuting, same as me! ;)
  • I'd looked at this in 2015 but hadn't seen it/been reminded for 2016, might attend!
  • I want to do the same, club ride whenever I can as they're what really pushed my riding forwards at the start of 2015. There's several local 90km Sportives for me that I'll do, several of them I'll be riding to the start which should make my 100km aim fairly easy :D
  • N+1
  • Numbers are only useful if you're using them for training/zone work. Not much point in knowing your FTP if you don't intend to use it! ;)
  • The heatmappers linked earlier are a good place to see local 'loops' or popular routes. Clusterer is good for this too (see this example for 10 mile TT's in/around Solihull). Many of your club rides should cover loops anyway - if they list them online (like mine) they can be a great source to build your own from too!

"Sleeping is dying and eating is poisoning yourself. Voilà. Go to bed at 2am, get up at 4 and leave at 5, whatever the weather."

https://rouleur.cc/journal/history/rene-vietto-and-missing-toe

Rule 5 at its best :D

Perfect lunctime reading - thanks! :D

Soldato

Yeah, wish they'd announce the Tour route so I know if I stand a chance of seeing any... Probably won't as I missed my chance in 2014! :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a website which calculated Eddington from Strava data?

Pace was slow but my heart rate seemed to think i was doing a 10 mile TT! Hit 189bpm just trying to get up the road along from my house and i wasn't pushing it at all.

Tell me about it, I thought I'd been good with my Turbo work but still high average HR's for me this morning when commuting! Normally steer well away from 175+! :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom