I'm sorry. Another BMW...but I have a question too!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14644687 said:
Oh you live in Jersey? I guess that would mean anything more than a 2.0 would be a bit frustrating anyway, so now I understand why you chose it. Great looking car, by the way :)

Why is owning anything more than 2L in Jersey frustrating? (Couldn't find anything on Google)

Soldato
40mph speed limit on designated roads, otherwise its 30, 20 or 15.

Plenty of windy roads where you can use a bit of power within the speed limits for fun though. Then there are "those roads".

We do leave the island though :p

Motormall is Jacksons? Damn I feel dirty now ;)

Jacksons has the BMW side of things along with Merc, Aston, Bentley, VW, Audi etc. All BMW parts/servicing are up there. Motormall houses Mitsi, Jag, Citroen, Peugeot, Land Rover etc but for all intent and purposes is the same company.

Approach both with the same air of caution :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Do many people stick to the limits?

Depends really. Some people stick to them religiously, some go under them (religiously) and some people just do what they feel is safe condition permitting.

Some sections of 40 roads are not safe to do at 40, and conversely some 15s are fine at 40. It's a bit of a joke over here tbh.

I'm due a Parish Hall Enquiry for an alleged 50 in a 40 at 10pm on a totally isolated 40 road yet most people will get away with 40 in 15s and 20s.

There is no real uniformity to the speed limits.

Soldato
OP
Depends really. Some people stick to them religiously, some go under them (religiously) and some people just do what they feel is safe condition permitting.

Some sections of 40 roads are not safe to do at 40, and conversely some 15s are fine at 40. It's a bit of a joke over here tbh.

I'm due a Parish Hall Enquiry for an alleged 50 in a 40 at 10pm on a totally isolated 40 road yet most people will get away with 40 in 15s and 20s.

There is no real uniformity to the speed limits.

Of course we stick to the speed limit ;)

Good luck in your enquiry. Seems kinda harsh even if you were doing 50. What was the road?

Associate
[TW]Fox;14644392 said:
I'll expand on earlier. Once a BMW warranty lapses, it is impossible to renew it. There are no if's and buts and it's not down to the individual dealer - once an AUC, New Car Warranty or Insured Warranty product expires if you've not renewed it for continuous cover, the car cannot be covered by BMW again.

Yes you can, unless that's changed in the last 24 months or so. I did it on my M3.

Man of Honour
Yes you can, unless that's changed in the last 24 months or so. I did it on my M3.

No, you can't - it's always been the case, even back when the warranty product didn't suck, once the warranty has expired and there is no warranty on force you cannot take out another BMW warranty. It's all administrated centrally and they are very clear on the rules.

Ridiculous rules, but rules all the same.

The ONLY way to get BMW warranty back onto a car which doesn't have it is if you are a BMW main dealer and you sell the car as an Approved Used Car.

Associate
[TW]Fox;14647590 said:
No, you can't - it's always been the case, even back when the warranty product didn't suck, once the warranty has expired and there is no warranty on force you cannot take out another BMW warranty. It's all administrated centrally and they are very clear on the rules.

Ridiculous rules, but rules all the same.

The ONLY way to get BMW warranty back onto a car which doesn't have it is if you are a BMW main dealer and you sell the car as an Approved Used Car.

Well, that wasn't the case when I got one in early 2008 (which, to be fair, was before the latest BMW warranty products were offered). My car had been out of manufacturers warranty for a year.

Man of Honour
Well, that wasn't the case when I got one in early 2008 (which, to be fair, was before the latest BMW warranty products were offered). My car had been out of manufacturers warranty for a year.

So you bought a BMW Insured Warranty, from BMW, on a car which had no warranty in force and had had no warranty in force for over a year?

The rules have always stated that once cover lapses, you can never renew. I have numerous documentation which states this and it was stated in every letter I've had as well. I attempted to renew, a year after, in 2007, and this was declined. The letter regarding the Z4's warranty, sent 2 months ago, also re-iterated this policy.

The only plausable explanation is that you were the fortunate victim of a BMW admin cockup.

Associate
[TW]Fox;14648878 said:
The only plausable explanation is that you were the fortunate victim of a BMW admin cockup.

Couldn't really tell you tbh. Spoke to the service manager at the time and within a few days had a phone call and then the paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom