AMD no longer competing with Intel, goes Mobile

The way I see this is Intel cannot compete against ARM in mobile space; AMD cannot compete against Intel right now. So AMD are going to try and compete against ARM in mobile!

This doesn’t seem like a smart move by AMD.

This is extremely bad news for us. The last thing we need is a single company making desktop CPU's. Intel will basically be able to charge what they want.

If AMD had some decent management that guided the company in a more positive direction then maybe they would'nt find themselves in this hole that they have dug for themselves by churning out mediocre CPU's. What happened to the company that gave us the awesome Athlon and Athlon 64 cpu's?

Does this mean that Llano's successor is going to be delayed/cancelled, because that was looking promising?

He*us said:
Suggestions have been flying around that the firm may even look to licence and work with ARM designs; certainly ARM is well established as the mobile leader and working with, rather than against ARM and risking the full wrath of the firm's many partners would seem like a sound move, though, either way AMD will of course have to compete with the likes of NVIDIA, Qualcomm and Samsung on some level and, with the same ARM designs, would it be able to differentiate itself successfully from the competition?

Just thinking aloud here, but with AMDs know how they could potentially own the mobile space if they got an ARM license. I mean compared to Intel there fairly small, but compared to Qualcomm they must have a lot more experience designing CPUs?

Edit: http://hexus.net/business/news/corporate/32779-amd-make-move-mobile/

Last edited:
It's a shame they're throwing in the towel because all they had to do was release a Phenom X8 and that would have bought them another few years to correct Bulldozer's many problems or just scrap it altogether and work on something new.

I'm beginning to think that ex-AMD bloke that said they had lost/sacked all of the great minds behind their earlier success and were heading for the gutter was right, he was spot on about how Bulldozer would turn out despite being written off as just a bitter ex-employee by most AMD fans at the time.

I only hope they keep the Phenom line alive, at least then they will still have a strong foothold in the value segment.

Last edited:
Bad news... guess the desktop pc is going to suffer as a result.

Higher prices, less innovation. Might be my last desktop I guess, unless someone comes along to provide some competition.

Awesome news, about time they woke up and stopped wasting money on desktop x86 CPUs.

...but there's no way they can compete in the super competitive ARM market without doing something different.

What will they do next?

Buy TIs OMAP division?
Go down the Qualcomm route of a fully custom v7/v8 architecture but licence it out rather than keep it in house?
Licence Radeon IP to SoC designers?

Low end renames of the 6 series then, with the exciting stuff January I thought?

More than that. 6950 and 6970 will get a die shrink and a clock speed increase (named 7850/7870). Prices will fall into $199 and $299 bracket. Nvidia in the mean time will have to make price cuts to their 560ti/570/580 cards in order to compete. Then in January they will have no response to 7950/7970 until Kepler comes out (which could be 2012Q2/Q3).

While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more AMD chips in smartphones, tablets and other such devices, this could get pretty bad for the performance market. Prices could go up quite a bit, and now Intel has no pressure whatsoever to bring out new products.

I can't see AMD making much headway against the ARM behemoth. Surely they're just trading into a market in which they have even less going for them? I guess they figure without such a stable terrain there's room for them to carve something out.

As for the PC market, this is bad for us, and I see competition lawsuits ahead. Intel have the whole thing sewn up and can charge what they please.

how can a lawsuit happen when their is no competition? Intel have done nothing wrong by being significantly better....you cant bring someone to court for being good at what they do in a legitment way.

Back
Top Bottom