• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7850 is the most eco card there is. Check this test!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The idle temps on the 79xx series cards are insane, although I know idle temps aren't really that important for those splashing over £300 on a GPU but still! 3 way 7970 idles at 153w yet crossfire idles at 222w :)

Associate
Yeah I know was just saying they are pretty eye catching, load is still pretty excellent but those graphs really draw your attention to the ridiculously low idle temps straight away.

Associate
OP
yeah made in china where they burn coal like theres no tomorrow:eek:

What they do is their business. What we do here is our responsibility to make Britain green again. And I am proudly doing my bit wherever I can.

Be smart and good person and see how you can be grateful to Earth for giving you food, shelter and fun.

Or as thugs depicted in avatar pictures on this forum would say "pay your respect... "

Caporegime
What they do is their business. What we do here is our responsibility to make Britain green again. And I am proudly doing my bit wherever I can.

Be smart and good person and see how you can be grateful to Earth for giving you food, shelter and fun.

Or as thugs depicted in avatar pictures on this forum would say "pay your respect... "

If you were that green you wouldn't have bought it at all.

Or you could have bought a games console which uses even less power.

Caporegime

yeah were all doing the goody two shoes eco green malarkey while china and others couldnt give a rats lala:rolleyes:

go without your pc if you wanna be 100% green:D

Soldato
Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
the daft thing is everybody is going on about how little electricity certain PC components use, and yet we then overclock things as far as they will go.

If you want to really save electricity, only boil the water you need in the kettle or have cold drink instead as that will save you more over the year than any graphics card can.

Caporegime
While the 7850's power consumption is quite impressive, Tweaktown's results seem exaggerated compared to what other sites have found. At the very least it doesn't seem like it should be drawing over 80 watts less than a 7750 (which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be drawing much more than 55W, its TDP, at load)
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/24.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/...-7850-review-rounding-out-southern-islands/17

This is what I was going to post, the numbers are simply incorrect.

Give or take the 7870 is a circa 100W card, the 7850 is more like 85W, the 7770 is 65W and the 7750 is 55w-ish. Their numbers are just wrong, completely.

The 7850 is an exceptionally high performance card for the power used and the size of the die, its more efficient than the 680gtx.

Caporegime
the daft thing is everybody is going on about how little electricity certain PC components use, and yet we then overclock things as far as they will go.

If you want to really save electricity, only boil the water you need in the kettle or have cold drink instead as that will save you more over the year than any graphics card can.

No, what you said is daft.

You can buy a chip that uses 150W stock and overclocked uses 350W, or you can buy a chip that uses 50W, and overclocked uses 150W. You're still saving power going with a lower power chip.

There is a difference between using power at all, which is basically what your argument boils down to, and using power as efficiently as possible when you use it.

Considering all but the most ridiculous of overclocks can be done with idle functions still enabled on both Intel and AMD CPU's, and gpu's can still clock down as low as you want at idle no matter what their 3d clock is, you can still save power.

Vir

Vir

Associate
Wow that's .... great? Energy efficiency is nice and great they are investing in it but personally I find performance more important. Same really with my car, BMW 330i, I pay more fuel but I'll have it any day over some Kia Picanto 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom