***Official Electronics Thread of Officialness (it starts off with lots of Nixie Tube Clock goodness

Caporegime
Just wanted to say, found cable and the panel mount on ebay so have got those ordered and on the way for under a fiver :)

Will double check the connection on the back of the head unit before ordering connectors for the cable. :)

Thanks again!

Caporegime
Does anyone know the official name for these connectors?

cable.jpg

Saves me buying a plug I'll never use.

Thanks!
Jake

Associate
You might have to try a combination of the words, that's what Farnell calls them.

Can you post a picture of the thing your plugging them into as there might be a better option?

Caporegime
You might have to try a combination of the words, that's what Farnell calls them.

Can you post a picture of the thing your plugging them into as there might be a better option?

Not until tomorrow, it's going into the back of the head unit in my car.

I ended up browsing eBay while inebriated last night and ended up buying a plug with the connectors for £4.50 delivered.

So the whole thing has cost me £9.50 - I'm chuffed. An hour or two of swearing and soldering and I should have aux-in in my car. Official cable from Saab is £55...

Last edited:
Soldato
Morning electronics geeks (this is a term of endearment).

When I was at school we used to have these fantastic PCB holders whereby you basically put the PCB into a clamp, and it held it very securely upside down for you, not like those helping hands, which seem to take any opportunity to fall over.

Does anyone know either where I can get one of these holders, or have a recommendation based on what they use?

Edit: something like this, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-R...TF8&qid=1377079650&sr=1-21&keywords=pcb+stand but perhaps a little less expensive?

Permabanned
Those two don't look connected to me, in fact the bottom one looks like a signal transformer.

I've seen relays like the top one, but without knowing the rating/voltage or even a code then I don't know what to say :/ it's the sort of stupid variation that white goods designers use.

Go mad and provide more info, like board, application, fault etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
You were right about the white goods part, it's a PCB from a boiler, the relay is temperamental and the only option is a new PCB, so I was hoping to be able to find a replacement relay and at least try that first for a fraction of the cost.

Edit: I think I've been a bit stupid and posted a picture of the wrong part!

4vJrUmG.jpg

That looks more like it, no?

http://uk.farnell.com/omron-electro...L-EMCO-OMRON&gclid=CO6JuL7msbkCFTLMtAodTEgAZg

Looking at the right part might have helped, lol :p

http://imgur.com/a/Mfzyq

I've put some better pics there of whatever the other thing is, but I don't think that's the issue

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like a perfect match to me. The other item does look like a transformer but the identification doesn't lead anywhere. I'd guess it's likely to be the transformer for the PCB and ultimately the provides the low voltage that activates the relay.

Permabanned
OSH Park are supposed to be good for getting small numbers professionally done. I am planning to use them soon myself, iirc the minimum is 3 identical boards :)

Thank You

I'll pass on the info to him. He did try Pad2pad which was meant to be $25 for three PCB's but when he designed his board and checked the price it came to $70.

Soldato
I think the prices on OSH Park are genuine and there aren't hidden costs, so that board (for 3 copies) should be $25. Hope postage wouldn't be much on something so easy to mail. Their quality is supposed to be top notch too.

Back
Top Bottom