Creative T20 Series II speakers standby mode?

Associate
I`ve just bought some Creative T20 Series II speakers and have found to my annoyance that they go into standby mode after a 10 minutes without audio. This means that you lose alert sound and the first few seconds of audio when they start up again.

Anyone know how to disable this or is it a fault.

Associate
OP
It appears the standby mode on the T20 speakers is meant to be there and is not a fault. There is no mention of it in the manual or the spec on there site. From Creative

"Hi Customer,

Good Day!

We have received your question about the Gigabits 20 Series II turning off after 10 minutes.

With regards to that, it's normal that it will automatically turn off after some time when there is no music being played, then it will automatically turn on once it detects a music.

If the above is not your case, kindly provide us more information on the issue.

If you still require assistance, please reply to this email and include any previous correspondence to ensure a quick response.

Regards,

Ryan
Creative Worldwide Customer Response"

Associate
OP
After 10 minutes or so of no sound though the system the speakers go into standby mode with the light on the volume switch turning off. When the speaker detect sound the light comes straight on but it takes about 3 seconds before you get any sound from the speakers. Any alerts that sound when in standby mode have come and gone before the speakers have started up again. If not for this I would be very happy with these speakers. Anyone else have this?

Soldato
Of all the comments I have seen, I have never seen anyone else mention this. Either it's a new feature Creative have added recently, or it's a fault. If it is a new feature they have added, it should have been included in the blurb. It does sound a little too specific to be a fault. Faults are normally intermittent or stop something from working altogether. For the speakers to go into a standby mode after 10 mins of no sound and to wake up again once sound is detected sounds like a feature you get with wireless headphones.

Looking at very recent user reviews on the jungle site, not one that I have read mentions this. If indeed it is a fault, it's a very specific one. Can you not return them to the place you bought them, or do you have to deal with Creative? If you have to deal with Creative, I'd make it clear that no one else has mentioned this. Surely if it is normal, then some other people will have mentioned it by now given that there are loads of reviews and comments. Creative are known for their rubbish CS, so maybe are trying to get away with dealing with this by telling you it's normal. Just a thought.

Associate
OP
I sent the first pair of speakers back for replacement before I got the message from creative. The new one's work the same. They will by going back as well, no good if they miss alert from programs because they have gone into standby mode.

Soldato
Have these exact speakers and mine don't do this. Should be clearly advertised if this is a new feature but seemingly they forgot.

Associate
Just purchased a pair and same problem. Wasted purchase for me now as I need my speakers to alert me to new emails and these turn off after 10 minutes.

Wrote to Creative and here is their response:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Creative Labs.

With regards to your enquiry, you are correct that this standby feature is present with the GigaWorks T40 Series II and this is to comply to the European regulation.

We regret to inform you that we cannot disable or remove this feature.

If you still require assistance, please email us again and include any previous correspondence to ensure a quick response.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Creative Worldwide Customer Response

Associate
I`ve just bought some Creative T20 Series II speakers and have found to my annoyance that they go into standby mode after a 10 minutes without audio. This means that you lose alert sound and the first few seconds of audio when they start up again.

Anyone know how to disable this or is it a fault.

This is EU policy to save energy, switches off the power after 10 mins of non-use. It seems it doesn't matter if you miss important notifications!

There is however a way around it. I used a file named '20khz_16.WAV' just google it. Then I set-up a simple 'Quick wizard' macro in 'Macro Express' program, (you may find it to download, it is about 14 years old but works on Win7) or similar macro program, to play this file every 9 mins. This is inaudible but keeps the speakers ON.

Soldato
My brother and I both have these speakers. I plug mine into my Creative soundcard, and they go on standby after 10 minutes. He plugs his speakers into the onboard sound on his MSI MPower motherboard, and the light around volume knob is always on.

Dunno what to take away from that really. Perhaps it depends on the features of the soundcard/onboard sound drivers, or the power draw of the device?

Very nice speakers though I think :). Prefer them to the 5.1 Z5500 Logitech I had before. Way cheaper, more compact, easier to setup.

Associate
This is EU policy to save energy, switches off the power after 10 mins of non-use. It seems it doesn't matter if you miss important notifications!

There is however a way around it. I used a file named '20khz_16.WAV' just google it. Then I set-up a simple 'Quick wizard' macro in 'Macro Express' program, (you may find it to download, it is about 14 years old but works on Win7) or similar macro program, to play this file every 9 mins. This is inaudible but keeps the speakers ON.
Zombie thread alert! A few years have elapsed since the last post but I just bought a pair of these and encountered the power-down issue. This advice was invaluable but I was able to find a .vbs script to play the audio file in the background, here:

https://superuser.com/questions/857...from-a-batch-file-without-any-windows-showing

Obviously the path to the audio file needs to be specified. I then used Windows scheduler to run the script at startup and every 9 minutes indefinitely. May as well use an inbuilt Windows feature that's already running rather than adding yet another program that will drain resources. (Besides Macro Express seems to require a purchase?)

Associate
Zombie thread alert! A few years have elapsed since the last post but I just bought a pair of these and encountered the power-down issue. This advice was invaluable but I was able to find a .vbs script to play the audio file in the background, here:

https://superuser.com/questions/857...from-a-batch-file-without-any-windows-showing

Obviously the path to the audio file needs to be specified. I then used Windows scheduler to run the script at startup and every 9 minutes indefinitely. May as well use an inbuilt Windows feature that's already running rather than adding yet another program that will drain resources. (Besides Macro Express seems to require a purchase?)
how do you go about setting up the script exactly on windows scheduler once youve created that text file from that link?

Back
Top Bottom