• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming

Associate
OP
Wow that is quite poor! Both my FE solid at 2100mhz. One runs fine at 2139mhz.

But not even able to hold 1936mhz is quite shocking. I'd be tempted to return it if it can't even hold its own boost clock.

It has been returned already. The card is faulty, as it is not achieving the speed it should. I had always assumed that all cards are tested to run at whatever clock speed they are designed to run at. Obviously not.

Last edited:
Associate

It may be apparent that I'm not somebody who really makes videos, so sorry for the sketchy quality- took this purely to illustrate the problem... I now have an EVGA FTW coming tomorrow. Loved my Xtreme 980Ti but feel massively let down by Gigabyte this time around between the time it took to get it in stock only for this problem to be a thing...

IMG_1108.jpg

Fan clipping the frame

IMG_1109.jpg

Bent fins behind fans (is that normal?)

IMG_1116.jpg

Bent fins at back of card (that's after I've straightened them a bit- was far worse!)

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's terrible.

If either of my cards have these problems... (when they eventually turn up - thanks for prioritizing the premium pack :rolleyes:)

Have to get milking the customers of course, screw the fact these cards are already hilariously overpriced! Get the PP out there and milk that for a few weeks first.

Associate
OP

It may be apparent that I'm not somebody who really makes videos, so sorry for the sketchy quality- took this purely to illustrate the problem... I now have an EVGA FTW coming tomorrow. Loved my Xtreme 980Ti but feel massively let down by Gigabyte this time around between the time it took to get it in stock only for this problem to be a thing...

That is bad. I read that someone took a nail file to the plastic X and sanded it down till it stopped catching, and someone else bent the frame away to stop it catching. Crazy!!!
By the way does your card pass the 3Dmark stress test on "OC mode"?

Last edited:
Associate
That is bad. I read that someone took a nail file to the plastic X and sanded it down till it stopped catching, and someone else bent the frame away to stop it catching. Crazy!!!
By the way does your card pass the 3Dmark stress test on "OC mode"?

Common sense should dictate to most people that yes, you could do this. Should you be having to file away or bend parts of a card that costs upwards of £600? Hell ****** no. You shouldn't be having to do that on any respectably built card.

Can't comment about testing, it's already RMA'd and on the way back. Another retailer had the EVGA FTW in stock this morning so I ordered and it has been dispatched to be here tomorrow. Given the stock issues with that one, I think I got VERY lucky :D

Caporegime
So the gigabyte card so far can have a dodgy fan, bent fins, or not be able to maintain its clocks without crashing. Bargain

Water-force version does look nice though.

Associate
Well I can only assume that the packaging will change quite considerably due to not having all the additional "stuff" that was in the PP.

Associate
OP
Well I have finally got over the horror of my Xtreme gaming purchase and bought the Gainward GLH card and I absolutely love it. No bent fins, no coil whine and it is super quiet. I cranked up the boost clock to 1960mhz which boosted over 2100mhz during benching and it completed several passes of 3Dmarks stress tests with 70% voltage and 100% fan at 65 degrees max, power limit and temp max too.
I could have pushed it further but I am more than happy with what I am seeing and I will just run it at the stock OC in my games, something I couldn't do with the Xtreme.

It just shows that some of the underdog cards can show the big boys a thing or two.

Last edited:
Associate
yep Gigabyte have dropped the ball this time round..

its totally unacceptable re packaging damaging cards and that peeps are having to self repair there £600+ cards its beyond a joke

i knew gigabyte failed this round seeing the G1 with 1 8pin and no windforce so the G1 has been downgraded to a windforce ..

And this so called GPU gauntlet that's taking the **** there just not binning at all and throwing em out the door ...

Shame really

Associate
I just got mine and sadly coil whine concert here too. My whole system is almost inaudible until you run Heaven and then the Xtreme starts to hiss like a stabbed rattlesnake. Strangely on FSX at max sliders it isn't so bad. Wouldn't mind if it cost 400 but at over 700 with bent fins and drivers that crash on the splash screen... Fortunately no fans hitting the 'x'. The unique selling point for me was the advertised military grade components, but how does that tally with the racket I'm hearing, I wonder...

EDIT - EVGA 750 G2 PSU (the one with the 'XR' manufacturer reference meaning I believe some Japanese components giving a 100k hours lifespan, officially 7 year warranty) so I would think probably not likely to be responsible for the coil whine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I just got mine and sadly coil whine concert here too. My whole system is almost inaudible until you run Heaven and then the Xtreme starts to hiss like a stabbed rattlesnake. Strangely on FSX at max sliders it isn't so bad. Wouldn't mind if it cost 400 but at over 700 with bent fins and drivers that crash on the splash screen... Fortunately no fans hitting the 'x'. The unique selling point for me was the advertised military grade components, but how does that tally with the racket I'm hearing, I wonder...

Bent fins on yours too? Can you bench without crashing on OC mode?

Permabanned
Sad really that I considered a G1 but I wont be buying one again now. This whole thing is a joke and the 3 mates I have that buy top end gear are all of the same opinion now as well.

GG Gigabyte :rolleyes:

Associate
I'll say this to all the people sending back their Gigabyte cards..

Check the MSI 1080 Gaming X out, i actually wasn't intending on buying it but it came into stock when i was looking. I did intend to go for an EVGA.. But i'm so glad i went for the MSI, it's sooo quiet.

Caporegime
If you can fit it, grab the palit super jetstream (prettier looking one) or the gamerock (if you cant see your card)

Quietness and coolest AIB card you can buy.

And some fo the cheapest too

Plus EK next waterblock is for them if you are going water.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gigabyte's been dropping the ball heavily with their AMD gpus for the past 3 generations, now they started to do the same with the Nvidia ones. Amusing, to say the least, because there isn't a lack of other vendors.

Back
Top Bottom