Soundbar that's good for movies and music?

Associate
I just looked through manuals for YSP2500 and Q acoustics soundbars.
Neither seems to have a mechanism to control how 5.1 sound will be mixed down, so you can manually control the relative level of the centre vocal speaker - is that correct ? you just have to go with their pre-programmed modes.

(I want to get one of these for a parent, harder of hearing, and the ability to control the mix, or maybe have a graphic equalizer of some sort was on my list of needs.)

Not entirely sure if I get what you mean but there's a clear voice setting on the 2500 and each individual channel can be adjusted up or down as well, it has several equaliser setting for films, music and games

Soldato
Thanks, what I was trying to say -
the quality of the voices are real important (relation hard of hearing) and I do not want to have voices dominated by the back-ground music.
I had not realised you can control individual channels on ysp, and maybe that will be fine, just turn down everything except the central voice channel.
( I assume that in the yamaha although it has 7 of 1" speakers, these do not actually move, so one speaker is not exclusively providing an individual channel, I could not find a tear-down review any volunteers ? best I saw was this )

The clear voice mode, on the TV's I have had are never that successful but maybe the yamaha is better.

I would even consider a sound-bar that had 2.1 (so sacrifice 5.1 capabilities) as a compromise if the speakers were maybe more capable of rendering vocals,mid range drivers say (which I think 3500 has albeit $$)

I suppose with RS, and maybe Amazon if it does not work out I can return it

Soldato
The Q Acoustics does not use any sound processing but it is very clear with voices as it uses bigger drivers.

Tbh for your needs it would be best to buy a soundbar and see if it fits your requirements as it's something you really need to hear in the environment it is going to be used.

Associate
If there's a richer sounds near you then they have a demo room that you could try out different speakers, just give them a call, they should also pay your parking as well which is cool.

Associate
Hi Guys, just thought I'd chip in as I bought the YSP2500 in May and I love it. Not as precise as a full 5.1/7.1 separates set up but very impressive room filling sound that does give that surround feel. That said I recently got the XBOX ONE S and found that the 2500 is not HDCP 2.2 compliant and therefore will not play my 4k blurays at UHD resolution only 1080p. If I link the XBOX ONE S directly to my 4k TV they play fine. This then brings up another issue. If I use the ARC functions of the TV and 2500 I cannot get the 2500 to recognise 7.1 audio as it's being down mixed by the telly. So in the end I've sold my 2500 and upgraded to the 2700. I got £400 for the 2500 and sourced the 2700 for a bargain price of £699. I only paid £450 for the 2500 back in May. So if you have a 4k TV and 4k blurays you will need the 2700 or 5600.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Guys, just thought I'd chip in as I bought the YSP2500 in May and I love it. Not as precise as a full 5.1/7.1 separates set up but very impressive room filling sound that does give that surround feel. That said I recently got the XBOX ONE S and found that the 2500 is not HDCP 2.2 compliant and therefore will not play my 4k blurays at UHD resolution only 1080p. If I link the XBOX ONE S directly to my 4k TV they play fine. This then brings up another issue. If I use the ARC functions of the TV and 2500 I cannot get the 2500 to recognise 7.1 audio as it's being down mixed by the telly. So in the end I've sold my 2500 and upgraded to the 2700. I got £400 for the 2500 and sourced the 2700 for a bargain price of £699. I only paid £450 for the 2500 back in May. So if you have a 4k TV and 4k blurays you will need the 2700 or 5600.

How did you manage to get the 2700 for £699? Cheapest I can find is £799.

Associate
I was doing and online search and clicked on
https://www.bestavdeals.co.uk/
They didn't have it in stock online but I used the chat now option in the bottom right corner and spoke to a guy called Anthony who said he could get one in for me for £699.
He said it was okay post this on here and just mention Oliver sent you. Hope this isn't against forum rules.

Soldato
I was doing and online search and clicked on
https://www.bestavdeals.co.uk/
They didn't have it in stock online but I used the chat now option in the bottom right corner and spoke to a guy called Anthony who said he could get one in for me for £699.
He said it was okay post this on here and just mention Oliver sent you. Hope this isn't against forum rules.

Thanks but it's now listed as 799.

Back
Top Bottom