• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA 1080 Classified - Waterblock

Associate
Hi guys,

Ok so I am looking to put my 1080's underwater with a full block.

My question is; will the EVGA Classified have a full cover water block like the 980/980ti did?

I am flitting between FTW (written off as it's unlikely to get a full block), STRIX, Gaming X and Classified with the latter being my preferred option.

I really need to make my mind up, but need solid advice.
Thank you in advance! :)

Cheers :)

Associate
I don't know why EK wouldn't do a FTW waterblock since FTW is the 2nd most popular custom card so far.

I have ordered both a FTW and strix and will keep whichever EK release a block for first.

Associate
Just from looking at both the 980 ti classified and the 1080 classified pcb it looks like the 780 classy block may fit.....

980 ti classified pcb

1080 classified pcb

GTX 780 Classy block

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys,

Ok so I am looking to put my 1080's underwater with a full block.

My question is; will the EVGA Classified have a full cover water block like the 980/980ti did?

I am flitting between FTW (written off as it's unlikely to get a full block), STRIX, Gaming X and Classified with the latter being my preferred option.

I really need to make my mind up, but need solid advice.
Thank you in advance! :)

Cheers :)

Hi

We will have blocks for FTW and Classified cards... More details will come but not from EK this time around you may have seen.

Ben

Associate
Will the non ek waterblocks be decent enough then?

Also noob question. If the rest of my water cooling solution uses ek parts, will they work being mixed with non ek parts on the gpu?

Associate
OP
Not planned yet but will mention it this week to add to schedule.

Thanks Ben (great name btw), so it's safe to go with the Classified then.. I will stick with EVGA Classy then! It's crucial for me as I am building a multi card setup and waterblocks are the centre of this build, as is the design which assume the blocks will be black/clear/silver like the 980 Hydro Copper?

Cheers Ben

Last edited:
Soldato
Was looking forward to blocking the 1080 classified. Might have to buy two MSI cards being as they are confirmed. Or ref EVGA cards :(.

Not a fan of the hydro coppers personally. LED's, Port spacing, EK parallel's don't fit etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
EK Parrallels don't fit? That's sounds totally bogus, especially if EVGA are not making their own bridges.... I will need a bridge for 3 cards so hopefully EVGA will step up, otherwise it's back to MSI Gaming X for me...

So far I have gone from FTW, to MSI, to Classifieds and now back to MSI again... This early card adoption lark is very stressful when you don't get all the information up front...

Sigh.

Soldato
No EK parallels are for EK cards only. Due to their port design.

EVGA Hydro coppers have to be connected with fittings and flexi/hardline tube. I dont like the look myself and much prefer EK parallel's which i have on my current Ti's.

Im torn between either waiting for the Ti's. MSI X or EVGA Ref. Jayztwocents just leaked some photos on twitter so should see reviews for the MSI X very soon.

I'm just wanting to know if its worth it over a ref card.

Soldato
Just from looking at both the 980 ti classified and the 1080 classified pcb it looks like the 780 classy block may fit.....

980 ti classified pcb

1080 classified pcb

GTX 780 Classy block

EK are now saying no Classified support, so this may be the only way if the PCBs are the same.

Disappointed but I do have a 780 Classified block kicking around. It would be handy if an EVGA rep can confirm.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, it fits perfectly.
See my article here: http://forums.evga.com/Must-Have-ch...-780TI-Classy-Block-1080-Classy-m2598540.aspx

Just use 1mm pads on memory instead of 0.5mm
And use 1.5mm pads on VRM instead of 1.0mm

Any decent pad 3 W/mk or better is fine (got excellent results with them and less than £5 on ebay).

I'm getting better temps than an FTW owners are getting using a block specifically designed for their card. (probably due to the oversized VRM on classy = more heat dissipation) PCB is also bigger so the core is "further away" from the hotter, VRM side of the board.

My results were so good, I actually got EK to agree to update their configurator. (talked with EK_Grega) If you check it, for 1080 Classy you'll see the 780TI block now pops up as supported.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom