Decided to delid my i7 4770k + results

Associate
Hello my i7 4770k cpu always run little hot ever since I got it and lately it been getting even hotter even when playing games, I was going to buy the i7 4790k when release but after seeing reviews on it I have decided to try my hand at delidding my i7 4770k instead because its a pretty good chip right now running it at 4.6ghz at 1.26v in bios but does say 1.28v in cpuid, I can boot in to windows at 4.8ghz on this chip but it will req more volts which I cant do because of my temps.

At 4.6ghz this beast runs hot I mean 93c on 1 cores and 91c on core 2 after about 15 mins in prime 95 and while in game can jump up to 75-80c here's a pic of temps ect before delidding.

20140608_115201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As u can see 93c core 1 and 91c on core 2 followed by 88c on 3rd core, and this i7 has hit 100c before.

So on Saturday I popped over to overclockers after work to get some cool laboratory metal ultra but out of stock so I went for the pro after people on here said should use this on die, I also got some mx-4 for the ihs.

20140614_185403.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I decided to use the vice method which seemed the easy way to get the ihs off but I must say putting my i7 4770k in vice and hitting it with wood and a hammer did make think am I really doing this but on the second hit pop off.

After i give it a clean ect and applied the metal pro and mx-4 put my h100i back on fired it up with the same setting in bios run prime 95 on large fft test striate away so no curing wow I was shock at the results.

Here is after delidding and metal pro on the die with mx-4 on the ihs.

20140614_211902.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

70c on 3 cores that is a 23C drop on core 1 wow I am really over the moon with these results I could not believe it and my idle temps are around 29c, both tests for for around 15 mins in prime 95 but before delidding I ran the small fft and after was large fft in prime.

So now I am going for 4.7ghz stable and if can see if can make a 4.8ghz stable.

20140614_202541.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140614_204314.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140420_154008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just thought I show you my results at delidding my first cpu.

Kyle

Last edited:
Associate
Nice job m8. Looking at these results it makes me very interested in doing the same thing on my 4770k, it runs stable at 4.6 with 1.2 volts so am thinking I have a bit of head room to overclock to maybe 4.8 if I'm lucky if I could get the temps down and run say 1.3v through it.

I have watched a couple of vids on doing this, but what I would be interested to know is ppl are saying you should use nail varnish or something to cover up the little pins next to the core. did you do this? as the paste is conductive. Also did you use anything to seal the heat spreader back to the chip or just lay it on top and rely on the clamp?.

Anyhow nice job

Caporegime
only slight criticism would be that you didn't scrape off all the old black thermal adhesive from the cpu pcb,it comes off easy with your fingernail,it helps lower the cap and sit closer to the die (I wouldn't mess/disturb it now though)

and no need to reseal the cap,the cpu clamp will hold it in place

mx4 is non conductive so is ideal to cover/protect the line of resistors

Associate
OP
Wow de-lidding a CPU looks like it provides good results but damn it looks scary as h***

To be honest it not that hard I hit the wood two times and the ihs popped off tuck less than 30 seconds to delid and the results I got is crazy compared to before I delidded. I had the voltage up to 1.36 volts last nite doing some benching and my temps was only 78c on one of the cores :)

Who ever is thinking about delidding do it :)

Caporegime
So what's better for on the core the ultra or pro?

Would not also using it instead of mx4 further improve temps on say a copper water block?

pro is better,ultra is slightly thicker

ive seen one horror story where someone used pro on the gpu core and it stuck solid and they ripped the actual die off the gpu,so if you ever decide to remove things later down the road I would get the cpu warm first with a few stress tests then remove the cpu cooler/his

that's just being carefull,ive never had that happen while ive been using it,and yes between cpu cooler top of cpu would help temps further,aswell as between the die

Associate
OP
So what's better for on the core the ultra or pro?

Would not also using it instead of mx4 further improve temps on say a copper water block?

The only reason I didnt put pro on top of the ihs is because I have read reviews that when cured can be hard to remove so because I wont really be removing the cpu out of the motherboard for while I desided to just use mx4 I might just try some see the difference with pro on top ihs but right now my temps are so good dont wont to touch the beast. 48c while playing watch dogs it was in 70s before delidding.

Associate
i'm definitely going to give this a go. Just hope I don't kill my cpu lol

Thanks for the info guys. I will order the pro and some mx4 as well. With a bit of luck I will get similar results to yourself.

Associate
OP
i'm definitely going to give this a go. Just hope I don't kill my cpu lol

Thanks for the info guys. I will order the pro and some mx4 as well. With a bit of luck I will get similar results to yourself.

When you apply the metal pro on the cpu die use a very very very little bit this stuff spreads like crazy.

I used some ear buds to spread it :) then for the mx-4 I just did a line striate down on the ihs where the die would be under the ihs.

Caporegime
you can use two strong flat pieces of wood if you have no vice,like this

29opnqq.jpg

287db3o.jpg

make note of how the wood is positioned against the cpu in the top pic,one edge on the cpu's pcb and other blocks edge on the lip of the cpu's ihs

Back
Top Bottom