SCSI raid O installed! looks good!

Soldato
Do you notice much difference in every day usage compared to a non raided scsi setup ?
Im going to use scsi drives for my new pc not sure how im going to set them up yet.

Associate
OP
To be honest i havnt used a non raided SCSI setup so i cant coment really, against my raided raptors the SCSI is faster and is more responsive. over all iam really pleased with the SCSI setup so far! the drives are quiet and i dont notice any diffrence noise wise over my raptors.

what makes this a bonus is the fact i got this whole setup off a well know auction site for a fraction of the new price, yet all items were new and boxed and still sealed, so iam well pleased!

I have now downloaded the latest drivers for my card, which have improved things even more! if only SCSI wasnt so expensive more people would see the gains to be had.

Soldato
Yeah shame about the costs of the drives, Only reason im using it is because I have 2 15k drives sitting under my desk that I havnt used for ages. Think I might try raid and non raid and see if theres much difference.

Hope your enjoying youre new setup, gota love the scsi snappyness :)

Associate
OP
from what i have read and been told, to take advantage of the full speed of SCSI raid 320 you will need to use a PCI-X slot as PCI will limit the speed of your drives.

One of the main reasons i went for SCSI was the fact my board has 2 PCI-X slots so the 320 SCSI drives can run full speed with no slow down.

in a standard PCI slot any SCSI card will be restricted by the bus speed!

get them up and running and see what you think, i would be intrested in seeing the diffrence between single and raid performance.

Associate
OP
Hi, well i got the adaptec 39320A-R dual channel SCSI card PCI-X along with 2 Atlas II 15k 68 pin drives.

and now with the lastest drivers installed they are even smoother!

well pleased with them and might even go raid 10 if i can find 2 more drives the same speed. what surprises me the most is the fact i was expecting some noise, but they are no diffrent to my raptor drives, or iam going deaf!

Back
Top Bottom