[360] Guided tour of spring update - update now due 6/06/06

Soldato
Looks like M$ has solved all the big issues :D

Definately looks like the dashboard has been sped up a little which wasnt a massive niggle for me but will still be a welcome addition.

Now come on get this update out!

Oh and now you've solved all the big issues M$ get a backwards compatibility update sorted :p (preferably including Shenmue 2, Outrun 2 & Timesplitters 3!)

Soldato
OP
This is just what we need. It's good to see MS acting on the feedback and implementing whatever they can without it falling over. I love the fact they're working on getting more performance out of the dashboard while adding in new features. Divx support now plz :D

Soldato
Am I just confusing what they said or did it look like when they dropped out of Table Tennis the download had stopped all together and only restarted when the hit the dash again? I was under the impression that even when in a Live! game the download would continue but throttle to ensure lag free gameplay?

Permabanned
Memphis said:
Am I just confusing what they said or did it look like when they dropped out of Table Tennis the download had stopped all together and only restarted when the hit the dash again? I was under the impression that even when in a Live! game the download would continue but throttle to ensure lag free gameplay?

downloads pause while you're playing a game on live. live would suck bigtime if the download carried on.

Soldato
Listened to this weeks Major Nelson podcast and he seems to hint that the update will be released at some point this week! Leaving today, Wednesday or Thursday as they wont release it on a Friday.

Very interesting listen actually it also contained an interview with the one of the dashboard guys going through all the new features, points to note are:

* The update writes to the 360's flash memory so doesnt use any HD or memory card space.

* It will take about a minute to download.

* If you dont/cant connect to the net for whatever reason (all 2 of you :p) then they will add the update to future games so you can update (much like the PSP does with the firmware)

* With the new update marketplace will be able to be updated serverside so they wont need to update everyones 360 to alter the layout in future.

* The 360 camera will also be compatible with your PC to be a webcam.

* A new feature not covered on that video is an MSN like "away" feature for live, where if you leave the 360 on but go away from it, it changes your status to friends to away.

* Theres going to be another update in about Q4 this year and twice yearly updates is their plan.

There was loads of stuff on it actually its well worth a listen.

Soldato
Memphis said:
That was mentioned.
Obviously wasnt paying attention when it was mentioned :o

Remembered another thing which was mentioned, slow downloads are meant to be fixed and I know some people on here have problems with DL speeds (though I thought it was NTL related rather than M$ but still) so hopefully this might sort it out.

I wonder what they've got in mind for the next update cos all the niggles I had with marketplace being sorted with this one! Though no doubt a new batch of irritants will replace background downloading and boot to dash :p

Major Nelson mentioned one he's put in for for the future in that having the name of the game you have in the disk drive on the "play game" bit of the dash (you know that icon thats made to look like the front of the disk drive) which though not exactly a life or death one might be useful if like me you forget what you've got in it!

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is better abiliy to preview stuff on Marketplace (i.e Themes, picture packs etc) apparently this hasnt been sorted this time but should be looked at in the future if they expect me to waste points on things I cant even see what they look like!

Soldato
Psycho Ned said:
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is better abiliy to preview stuff on Marketplace (i.e Themes, picture packs etc) apparently this hasnt been sorted this time but should be looked at in the future if they expect me to waste points on things I cant even see what they look like!

Trial/Expiring content would be good, and 'fix' that problem. It would be nice to be able to download a theme/picture and use it for 24hours or something before forking out for it. Same for the full versions of the games on the arcade. I'm never quite sure whether they're worth paying for.

Soldato
things i still want fixed/altered be it xbox360 side or xbox.com side

a)the ability to delete demo's or old games that you don't own from showing up in your played list

b)the ability to have your achievments show online on other peoples screens in your friends list who are online when you unlock a new achievement (think this would be cool and could be done)

c)the ability to get mp3/wma files from a cd/dvd onto the HD without having to burn it as a audio cd

d)custom playlist music option to play only ingame and not same track during loading or menu's, like the music plays when you actual start playing and anothe track plays at menu' ect, ect

cannot think of anymore, but at least i tried

Soldato
Some good ones there actually.

That editing your played games list would be one i'd like to see put in (maybe even the top ask for next time I think) surely it cant be hard to do and would mean I could get rid of crap like the playonline viewer, OXM demo disks and all those flippin arcade games which I never brought only trialed!

Caporegime
I have my own custom picture on my dashboard. I noticed on the themes from that video that the picture changes with each blade. Is it possible to do that with custom pictures? A different picture each blade??

Back
Top Bottom