• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT or 640GTS?

Associate
i'm wondering the same thing.

but i think all nvidia owners will tell you one thing and amd/ati will tell you an other.

i'v been trying to find out the answer on the net for ages.

my conclusion (from what i have read) is that if you want performance for the price in dx9 go for the gts.

performance for price in dx10 2900 xt f.t.w

and i still cant decide :confused:

Soldato
Explosivo said:

but i think all nvidia owners will tell you one thing and amd/ati will tell you an other.

my conclusion (from what i have read) is that if you want performance for the price in dx9 go for the gts.

performance for price in dx10 2900 xt ***.

Pretty much it in a nutshell, they are very similar cards and similar price so its a matter of preference.

Cue Mav...

Permabanned
Explosivo said:

performance for price in dx10 2900 xt f.t.w

I'm a X2900XT owner and I say the GTS! It's a better card allround, quieter, cooler, more real game performance, less driver issues.

If you're gonna click the button then make it the GTS, its as they say: its a no brainer.

Soldato
Tute said:
I would say...

Vista = 2900XT
XP = 8800GTS

:)

Let me expand on this a bit.

The 8800GTS and 2900XT are pretty much neck and neck in performance, except that when AA is turned up, the GTS opens a rather sizeable gap.

The GTS is also quieter, cooler, and uses less power.

However in the drivers department ATi has the upper hand, especially in Vista, where they've been working hard. nVidia's release schedule is sporadic at best. The nVidia XP drivers are said to be quite good though, hence what I posted. :)

Soldato
Champ_101, quick heads up mate, your sig is a bit too big, you're only allowed 4 lines of text. :)

Although I was just thinking... do PCIe MX440s exist? :confused:

Permabanned
Tute said:
Let me expand on this a bit.

The 8800GTS and 2900XT are pretty much neck and neck in performance, except that when AA is turned up, the GTS opens a rather sizeable gap.

The GTS is also quieter, cooler, and uses less power.

However in the drivers department ATi has the upper hand, especially in Vista, where they've been working hard. nVidia's release schedule is sporadic at best. The nVidia XP drivers are said to be quite good though, hence what I posted. :)

but at this level it's all about AA 'TURNED ON'! otherwise get a mid range card!
Also if the ATI driver department is so good why can't they solve all the crippling issues that comes with the 2900? e.g. fogging in source engined game or massive slow down in HDR enabled setup and AA!?!?!?!?

Permabanned
MaXXeH said:
lol no it is agp

i went for the

EVGA 8800GTS 640MB KO ACS3 Dual DVI HDTV PCI-E

better be good!!

You made the right choioce, I wish I chose the GTS instead of this 2900XT but mistakes will always be made.

Don't worry compared to a MX440 it'd be a galaxy apart lol. Just to note I had a MX440 around 4 years ago when I was poor, I actually liked the card at the time, don't ask me why. :confused:

Soldato
the_champ_101 said:
but at this level it's all about AA 'TURNED ON'! otherwise get a mid range card!
Also if the ATI driver department is so good why can't they solve all the crippling issues that comes with the 2900? e.g. fogging in source engined game or massive slow down in HDR enabled setup and AA!?!?!?!?

Because they're working on it. I, having been an ATi owner for the past couple of years, and seeing what their Catalyst team can do, have absolute faith that most, if not all of the bugs will get ironed out.

Plus there are regular monthly driver updates, each one bringing more performance.

I admit, the AA performance hit is nothing short of embarassing for them, and I don't think it will be fixed in drivers. But also, it depends what kind of gamer you are - I personally run most games with 16xAF but no AA as I don't notice the IQ but I do notice the extra frames it gives. :)

Permabanned
Tute said:
Because they're working on it. I, having been an ATi owner for the past couple of years, and seeing what their Catalyst team can do, have absolute faith that most, if not all of the bugs will get ironed out.

Plus there are regular monthly driver updates, each one bringing more performance.

I admit, the AA performance hit is nothing short of embarassing for them, and I don't think it will be fixed in drivers. But also, it depends what kind of gamer you are - I personally run most games with 16xAF but no AA as I don't notice the IQ but I do notice the extra frames it gives. :)

You don't notice the jagged edges then? at this price AA performance is essential to high end gcards, I have also been a long term ATI owner since 2004 with the X800XT then swapped for the X850XT, X1900XT now this joke! I admit the catalyst drivers team is very good, but I somehow doubt they can fix all the issue, AA and HDR performance on the X2900XT is worse than my old X1900XT 512MB and this is more than embarrassing! Also there's nothing to suggest DX10 performance is better than the G80.

Soldato
I would wait abit, I went and got an EVGA 8800GTS ACS3 KO over the HD2900XT, now if I was buying I would go for an HD2900XT, but it may well be possible the 8800GTS 640 could take over the HD2900XT in DX10 again, because of this I would wait abit longer tbh.

Back
Top Bottom