• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which card for my rig, please help me !!!

Associate
Im currently looking to get an new dx10 gfx card, either the 8800 GTS or and 2900 XT.

I got a 3800 x2 with 3 gig ram, whats the best bet with what I got, im completly undecided and not sure what to do.

Caporegime
What resolution do you play at?

I currently run a 3800+ X2 with an HD2900XT, and to be honest the CPU is the bottleneck of the system (upgrading to C2D today).

EDIT: That's not to say that my system is slow by any stretch of the imagination. I would link you to my 3DMark06 result, but the ORB seems to be down. I get just over 9100 3DMarks at the moment.

Associate
OP
I do plan on upgrading / overclocking the CPU as well as for the res that I play at initially it will be 1280*1024 until I get my new monitor and then 1650 * 1050. If that helps anyone with there advice?

I was told that getting a card with anything less than 512 would probably hinder me in the newer games on the horizon. Don't know if that is true?

Caporegime
Have a look through this A64 performance review with the GTS here , Doesn't look to bad considering the 3800+ would be quite a bottleneck, id imagine the 2900 would probably be about the same, but either the 2900 or the GTS would do as they both top cards, and your Hiper would power either fine, Tom|Nbk's powering his 2900 on the same PSU with no problems at all. :)

Caporegime
therubble said:
That's something that I'm going to address when I update the rest of the system. In vista whats the best card atm?

At the moment vista performance is greater with ATi than nVidia, but remember that this may not always be the case. I'm more than happy with the performance of my x2 3800+ and HD 2900XT in vista, only reason I'm moving to C2D is because I fancy a change.

It may just be coincidence, but my Hiper Type-R was 100% stable UNTIL I got the HD 2900XT, then within two weeks, it was dead.

Associate
OP
Looks like a 2900 for me then. Perhaps another PSU as well althought this one is only 6 - 8 months old.

I'll O/C the nuts off the 3800 as well should make for a relatively good setup I hope.

Back
Top Bottom