• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

playing GRAW 2 with no physx card, but with effects!

Associate
nice little work around i found (bound to have been found before, sorry if repost)

the file to edit is here:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\Settings\profiles\(your name)\settings.xml

and there are 2 lines to change, they are:

<has_physx value="false" />
<physics value="0" />

change them to 'true' and either '1' for high physics or '2' for extreme

with a Q6600 @ 2.7ghz, i notice no slow down whatsoever with the physx set to extreme

more and more reason to not go physx

edit: a picture if people are sceptical about playability. 1680x1050, all max settings.

graw.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
also, here is how i did it in xp, as its quite different than the method for vista, as the file paths are completely different.

the file youre after is:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\Settings\profiles\(your name)\settings.xml"

make a copy of it just incase.

to get it to work in game start a new game, and during play, go to advanced video options (you should see that either of the physx options are enabled) and just click on the slider so you can say apply. click apply and now the physx effects are enabled

Last edited:
Soldato
“but even at extreme its miles away from unplayable as many claim it to be“
As far as I am ware no one every said extreme was unplayable and if they did they might have meant the Physic map on extreme not the normal maps on extreme.

Does the high detailed physic map work? Do you get the wind and other effects and what’s performance like?

What I find really funny is people go around saying the PPU effects look rubbish when it’s only on the PPU but the same effects on the CPU which look the same as the PPU somehow magically turn from rubbish looking to amazing looking.

EDIT: This is great news as now we can benchmark the same IQ with and without a PPU.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well it definitely works and looks pretty good, more definition and some good touches like more blood splatter. There's a slight performance hit but nothing you'd notice.
I can't get the physx map to work but I might have a play again later.
I wouldn't spend any money on a dedicated card though if you can get similar results with a simple .xml edit :)

With sneaky physx:

Associate
OP
the ageia island doesnt work for some reason with this workaround

edit: pottsey i notice this was pretty much aimed at my statements a while back

'What I find really funny is people go around saying the PPU effects look rubbish when it’s only on the PPU but the same effects on the CPU which look the same as the PPU somehow magically turn from rubbish looking to amazing looking.'

for your benefit, i still find the effects poor. i just found this out and posted it to prove that these physics cards are just to take our money, and that a cpu is perfectly capable of these tasks, which many many people have claimed to not be true. im still extremely frustrated how none of these particles stay on screen for more than about 5 seconds.

i can almost garuntee that the ageia effects can be forced on every other game that supports it, and i will go out of my way to find out and let everyone know.

Last edited:
Soldato
”and that a cpu is perfectly capable of these tasks, which many many people have claimed to not be true”
So far this proves the CPU is not perfectly capable of these tasks. The effects done on the PPU which are said to be to slow on the CPU don’t work even with the tweak. You have not proven anything yet.

No one ever said extra particles won’t work on the CPU only that extra particles cause slow down. That’s just what happens. It’s the other effects like cloth, wind, liquids that’s the CPU cannot do at decent speeds.

The tweak posted is not adding the new effects. It only increasing the particles. My comment before wasn’t aimed at you it was general.

Associate
OP
Pottsey said:
”and that a cpu is perfectly capable of these tasks, which many many people have claimed to not be true”
So far this proves the CPU is not perfectly capable of these tasks. The effects done on the PPU which are said to be to slow on the CPU don’t work even with the tweak. You have not proven anything yet.

No one ever said extra particles won’t work on the CPU only that extra particles cause slow down. That’s just what happens. It’s the other effects like cloth, wind, liquids that’s the CPU cannot do at decent speeds.

The tweak posted is not adding the new effects. It only increasing the particles.

so you will eat your words if i manage to get the ageia island to work yeah?

edit: im not out to argue, im just confident i can get this to work

Last edited:
Soldato
“so you will eat your words if i manage to get the ageia island to work yeah?”
Work at playable FPS at normal setting and resolutions. I expect at least a 50% FPS drop doing it on the CPU if not more. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone got it to work, it would surprise me if it’s at playable speeds.

Soldato
Pottsey said:
“so you will eat your words if i manage to get the ageia island to work yeah?”
Work at playable FPS at normal setting and resolutions. I expect at least a 50% FPS drop doing it on the CPU if not more. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone got it to work, it would surprise me if it’s at playable speeds.

God your so bloody obsessed with that damnd Physx card, your know its not worth the money and not worth buying and you still defend it :rolleyes:

Soldato
“God your so bloody obsessed with that damnd Physx card, your know its not worth the money and not worth buying and you still defend it !”
People are entitled to opinions. Just because you don’t find it useful doesn’t mean other people wont. I am not going around telling everyone to buy it or saying its useful to everyone so stop telling me what I find useful. The performance boost alone makes it useful to me. If its useful to me then its worth buying for me.

Associate
I play GRAW 2 a lot, And did GRAW 1. I won't be buying a PhysX card for them either, They don't really add anything spectacular to the games to be honest (GRAW games that is).

And now this workaround, If your running a dual core CPU you'll probably be fine.

I have tried this and it does work fine, I use a E6600 CPU with a 8800GTX, FPS is still high and doesn't drop below 40.

Associate
OP
Gerard said:
For me with a quad core if its set to extreme and applied i the options its a slideshow. :eek:

odd, its well fine for me. even in pretty hectic parts its still fairly playable, never goes below 30.

and im thinking the way to get the island to work, would be to try to trick your pc into thinking you have the card installed.

so im working my way through the driver files to see if theres anything at all that i can change (same with the registry)

Soldato
Gerard said:
For me with a quad core if its set to extreme and applied i the options its a slideshow. :eek:
the one time i went to options and did the apply trick beffor loading the map it was like a slideshow for me too, but if you load the map beffor going to options and applying it works fine.

Soldato
“i can almost garuntee that the ageia effects can be forced on every other game that supports it, and i will go out of my way to find out and let everyone know.”
How can you guarantee that? What do you know something we don’t? So far all but 1 of the PPU main effects have never been done on the CPU and the one that has, put the CPU down to single digits and that was cloth.

You seem to be acting like you got GRAW 2 working on the CPU with the PPU effects. Well you haven’t none of the PPU new effects work out of large list of effects. All you did was increase the particle count but we all know the CPU can do particles.

Still I hope you do pull it off so we can do fair benchmarking between the PPU and CPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom