FAO Sirius & other Linux Smp users

Associate
Well I decided to upgrade to GG but it stalled saying not enough disk space - 126 MB short. While try to make space I deleted the HDD in VMware:eek:
Burned GG to CD to reinstall VM but got to desktop & both HDD & DVDrom busy & couldn't get Firefox to open or install OS despite several attempts:(
While searching for Sirius' guide I noticed that you can set VMware to read from the ISO in place of CD & this solved the problem.
Following the guide - v helpful - but why no sticky to it in the forum or don't I know where to look? - I had 2 problems:
couldn't get http link to FAH6 to work so had to download in Firefox & use Archive Manager, same with FahMon:confused:
I forgot to step to install libwxgtk2.6-dev & g++
Thanks to Uncle Fungus I found the help on the FahMon site that I needed
libwxgtk2.8-devand after ./confiure and make it should be sudo make install:) & that got FahMon finally working.

FAH downloaded core a2 & WU's were corrupt &/or wouldn't run & program crashed or stopped.
Finally this morning got core a1 & everything seems to be running ok.
And that is how a simple upgrade of 40 minutes turns into 6 hrs of frustration:(
Any feedback or help for the next time much appreciated.

Soldato
If it's any consultation I've been to linuxSMP frustration central many times.

Stuck without smp myself at present when trying to use Arch instead of Ubuntu server, and killing both :(

And yes the guide should be in the sticky agreed - linky

Last edited:
Soldato
FAH downloaded core a2 & WU's were corrupt &/or wouldn't run & program crashed or stopped.

How much RAM are your VMs allocated? There's an issue with these new a2 WUs where they're allocated to systems with too little RAM, so the core crashes. They've been moved back to advanced testing to sort it out, so you should only get them at the moment if your client is set to receive advanced WUs.

Also I've found it easier to run FAHMon in Windows and access the VM clients via a Samba share than to compile FAHMon natively under Linux. It's fairly easy to set up, I'm sure there's a guide somewhere.

Soldato
if you did the manuel install with (as SB guide)

Code:
wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz

It's been updated and moved to new location - complete instruction below, but use Finstall as it's much easier

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
mkdir -p ~/FAH
cd ~/FAH
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta2-Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH6.00beta2-Linux.tgz
./fah6 -configonly
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
sudo sh -c "cd /home/user/FAH; ./fah6 -local -forceasm -verbosity 9 -smp"

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How much RAM are your VMs allocated? There's an issue with these new a2 WUs where they're allocated to systems with too little RAM, so the core crashes. They've been moved back to advanced testing to sort it out, so you should only get them at the moment if your client is set to receive advanced WUs.

Also I've found it easier to run FAHMon in Windows and access the VM clients via a Samba share than to compile FAHMon natively under Linux. It's fairly easy to set up, I'm sure there's a guide somewhere.

Pesky PC's I'd just finished my reply last night in Firefox, hit the preview button & got bounced to the login page - post lost:confused:

As my 2GB of Ballistix went belly up recently for the 3rd time I'm back to 1GB of Corsair with 380 MB allocated to VM. Was using 260MB last night now 350MB this a.m.
I did try Samba with Dapper Drake but couldn't get it to work, the shared folders. So for now I persevere with Linux ver. of FahMon I guess I must be masochistic. I might try samba again once Hardy Heron it out.

@ Cob I didn't use finstall as I didn't want it to run as a service. I'm familiar with how it works after a manual install: starting, stopping, -oneunit etc.

@ shadowscotland - thanks for that. Incidentally where do you find out this info?

@Yeggstry - I did look at that from Cob but it seems a bit beyond my meagre Linux skills. What I need is "Ubuntu for Dummies" as I don't know my apt-get from my wget at the moment;)
Thanks guys for all your help.

Soldato
Finstall doesn't set up a service - you have to do that manually with

Code:
~/foldingathome/installService

or not in your case :D

and was from another folding forum (I just googled it)
I remember that last time i updated from beta1 to beta2 (client expired) that finstall hadn't been updated so needed to do a manual load
- but web address was wrong (cob came to my rescue that time)

Last edited:
Associate
@Yeggstry - I did look at that from Cob but it seems a bit beyond my meagre Linux skills. What I need is "Ubuntu for Dummies" as I don't know my apt-get from my wget at the moment;)
Thanks guys for all your help.

No offence mate but the folding VMWare instance that Cob linked to looks a hell of a lot easier than installing Ubuntu, setting up folding, setting up samba etc. This is all in one package, built for you.

Soldato
What's wrong with that? It works identically to the Windows version.

I don't think he's having a go UF - it's just more hassle to open VM, then wake up Ubuntu and activate Fahmon.

I reinstalled Ubuntu server (Samba File server option) point me at the setup guide to get windows fahmon to read the VM disk, thanks in advance

found cob's linky but can some one cut out all the padding please.

just want windows Fahmon to work
(request when writing please inc promt if one is present)

so this -
Code:
[B]sudo smbpasswd -a system_username[/B]
will read as this (I think)

ubuntu@stephen: sudo smbpasswd -a stephen

Edit: Oops that wrong isn't it.... you can see my problem

Code:
system_username = "network username"
will be.... system_username = stephen

Oh don't worry I'll stick with nano (or I really should stick with the desktop version - that I can actually use - well enough to break anyway :p )

Edit: note to self stop eating chocolate

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What's wrong with that? It works identically to the Windows version.

When its running its just fine but not being a Linux guru - see my 1st post - I had problems compiling it. Had 2.6 not 2.8 libwxgtk & Sirius' guide didn't have sudo before make install so it didn't work without it. I guess I'm lazy as the win install of FahMon is a breeze ( 1 click) compared to getting it to work in Ubuntu. I am improving with practise though:) I did say that without yr help section I wouldn't have discover the solution.

@Yeggstry - maybe I'm just timid at trying new things but it hardly ever works first time & compared to windows I'm not sure what's gone wrong let alone how to fix it. But then not have a USB pen drive is a bit of a stumbling block at present:eek:

Associate
@Yeggstry - maybe I'm just timid at trying new things but it hardly ever works first time & compared to windows I'm not sure what's gone wrong let alone how to fix it. But then not have a USB pen drive is a bit of a stumbling block at present:eek:

Ok, I'll try it tonight then when I've got my machine built :p I think I've got a spare 256Mb key lying around somewhere...

Associate
shadowscotland said:
Samba stuff

Here's how I normally setup Samba on the VM.

At the command prompt enter

Code:
sudo smbpasswd -a system_username
system_username is your Ubuntu username. To keep things simple my Ubuntu and Windows usernames are the same.
You should be prompted for a password. Again, to keep things simple I set this the same as my Windows password.

Then enter
Code:
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
Scroll down to the bottom of the file and add the following, changing username/path as appropriate

Code:
[foldingathome]

path = /home/username/foldingathome
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

Save and close the file and then enter

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

Then add a new client in Windows Fahmon with the path
Code:
\\VM_ip_address\foldingathome\CPU1\

If you have 2 clients on the VM then the path for the second client will end CPU2 etc.

Associate
I guess I'm lazy as the win install of FahMon is a breeze ( 1 click) compared to getting it to work in Ubuntu.

Hmm, part of that is me not getting off my arse and making some 1-click Ubuntu packages. I do have a valid excuse though... honest ;)

(Oh, and be glad you don't have to compile FahMon for Windows, its much worse than in Linux ;) )

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Then add a new client in Windows Fahmon with the path
Code:
\\VM_ip_address\foldingathome\CPU1\

If you can't work out the IP address, just manually add the client to Fahmon by selecting 'Network' when it brings up the list of locations. It might take a good few seconds to find the VM, but it will.

Soldato
needed to down load samba (follow linky)
couldn't use return so used the down arrow to add text after last line of smb.conf
no save option (exit - then given save command)

but it's not showing up in 'my network places' (or anywhere else)

Back
Top Bottom