Kebabs!!! with AH2

Man of Honour
A lot of us love kebabs but want something healthier. Well make it yourself..

Good thing with kebabs is you can use what ever flavourings or meat you want and in what ever quantity you want. They are so easy. So don't be scared to change the recipe and adapt it.. These are hot

I have two chilli sauces, one I use for cooking. It's runny and harsh. Then I have another for using as a sauce. It's thicker and a better balance of taste.

Ingredients: will make 4 decent sized kebabs
Filling:
6 Lamb steaks (but you can use any meat, fish, prawns ect.
2 white onions
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon Dried Mint
2 tablespoons chilli sauce
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Chilliflakes or crushed fresh chilli (I use lazy chilli)
1 tablespoon paprika ( I like the depth of flavour and colour it gives)
Salt+pepper

Topping:
White cabbage finely shredded
red onion finely shredded
Ice berg lettuce finely shredded
Mint sauce
Garlic Mayo
Chilli Sauce
Salt + pepper

1) First chops the meat and white onions into 1"-2" cubes(or whatever size you want). Know you can either skewer them onto sticks and grill, or throw in a bowl and fry in a decent non stick frying pan. As I don't have a grill I will be frying.

2) Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Ideally marinade for at least an hour, occasionally stirring or rotating. Marinade for as long as possible however today I didn't leave it to marinade at all and it still works very well.

3) fry or grill to taste.

Meanwhile Make the cabbage and onion salad
1) shred the cabbage and onion into a bowl
2) add the olive oil, lemon juice and salt+pepper
3) this really does need to sit for 30mins up to a few hours is fine. Any longer and you need to refrigerate and use within about 12 hours.

finally assemble. I use pita bread. nut you could use wraps, naan bread or anything else you fancy including sitting it on rice.

With pita bread, rinse under water for about 10seconds until nice and wet. then put in a very hot oven for about 3 minutes. till puffed up.

Put a slit in it and assemble everything.

I put the sauces in first, then meat, then cabbage then lettuce to finish of and a little more meat to eat with some of the salad.

Easy great snack or main course and healthy. There's very little added fat except in the sauces. But that is easy to solve by using extra light mayo or fromage frais, just adding a couple of roasted garlic cloves. Or just don't drown it in sauce. Obviously this one is reasonably fatty because of the lamb. but works just as well with chicken or turkey.

Last edited:
Soldato
Woah, spooky. I was going to do a kebab cooking with thread next time I made one - you beat me to it though :p

May still post it, as mine is a slightly different recipe.
I'll have to try making this one as well as it looks damn good.

Soldato
:eek: WOW nice one! :cool:

Trying this with beef sometime soon! (one of the kebab shops on the way to town does an amazing beef kebab and im now sold on the newish concept of it)

Soldato
I do kebabs with a packet of salad and some leftover meat or sausages quickly fried for warmth. Veggies might like to try cubes of feta cheese instead of the meat.

I make my own garlic mayo and use either Mrs Balls chili chutney or Branston Hot Chilli & Jalapeno Relish for the heat.

To me it should be fast food.

Soldato
I make my own kebabs using Pattaks curry paste mixed 50/50 with plain yoguart. Grill the meat and stuff it in the pitta with fresh salad and mayonnaise. Absolutely delicious and takes no time at all to make. The only problem is i cant stop eating them.

Back
Top Bottom