• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI and Physx in win7

uv

uv

Soldato
Howdy :)

*edit*
IT WORKS :D

My current setup has a 4870 as the main graphics, and a 9500GT in as a secondary, under the Windows 7 Beta.
Both cards are recognised correctly, and I can enable hardware Physx - but only when the nvidia enabled monitor is set as the main, and the 4870 set as secondary. Obviously, I'd rather have the 4870 doing the grunt of the GPU work :p

There's a handful of people out there that have managed to run an ATI primary with the nVidia secondary doing h/w Physx, but I'm almost pulling my hair out trying to get it to work!

Have some links:

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/452154-guide-how-enable-physx-nvidia-card.html
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=33521
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2277303
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217129

Has anyone else on here tried this? Some colaboration might get us nearer to some mixed-gpu heaven :p

Last edited:
Associate
I would be more intrested getting the Physx to work on the 4870 itself, was a site not to long ago bosting about doing just that lol.

uv

uv

Soldato
OP
I managed to get it working :p

updated both ATI and nVidia drivers to the latest, plugged the vga out from my 9500gt into the vga on my monitor so it thinks a monitor is attached, used the nvPhysxTweaker to switch physx to GPU (as the nvidia CP doesn't work - driver mismatch), and bob's your bloomin' uncle!

Soldato
To carry this on from the previous thread in cases.

@uvmain: So is there any performance hit with your normal gaming? And does it work in Vista?

uv

uv

Soldato
OP
You can get it from Torrent sites. I assume it's legal to do so, as it was a public beta, with only a handful of serials between the thousands of users.

I'd change your sig.. the mods frown upon such things :p

As for performance hit.. how do you mean? Do you mean due to running both cards, or due to the beta OS? If anything, Windows7 has better framerates than Vista :)

Soldato
You can get it from Torrent sites. I assume it's legal to do so, as it was a public beta, with only a handful of serials between the thousands of users.

I'd change your sig.. the mods frown upon such things :p

As for performance hit.. how do you mean? Do you mean due to running both cards, or due to the beta OS? If anything, Windows7 has better framerates than Vista :)

Well, I am not spamming to get the postcount but fair point lol

I meant a performance hit from having both running. Is it the 4870 doing all the work? How do you make sure its not the nvidia card trying to do all the work? Or am I just being dim and its just simple.

Permabanned
Well, I am not spamming to get the postcount but fair point lol

I meant a performance hit from having both running. Is it the 4870 doing all the work? How do you make sure its not the nvidia card trying to do all the work? Or am I just being dim and its just simple.

Because they won't share the 3D rendering load, it will be one or the other, plus you'd have your monitor connected to the 4870.

It's essentially like having a PPU except it's got additional functionality in the form of being able to run more screens while not playing games.

I'm actually considering trying it soon if I can get my hands on a cheap 9600 or something.

uv

uv

Soldato
OP
It's definitely the 4870 doing all the work.. there's no way in hell a 9500GT would get the 3dmark Vantage score I get, or the fps I get. I play at 1920x1200, so I'd notice the slowdown :)

Both cards are plugged into my monitor, I just have an extended display, with the 4870 set to primary. Unfortunately, it does mean I can lose my mouse on the right-hand screen, which isn't actually there :p

*edit*
darn photobucket resizing

Last edited:

uv

uv

Soldato
OP
nope :/

hopefully as win7 matures, and nvidia release better drivers, it will.

nVidia are planning on releasing drivers that enable 'hybrid physx', which should hopefully make the whole process much easier.

Back
Top Bottom