• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870 + VNF100 = China Syndrome

Associate
The stock fan on my Saphire 4870 was getting on my nerves (VERY LOUD!) so i put a Zalman VNF100 on it and the noise difference was astounding.

However the thing now runs so hot i cant touch it! I dare not use anything to actually find what temp it is running at, but frak me its very hot indeed.

How can i attach a fan to it? Is there a simple fix? Or is it incompatible with the 4870?

Soldato
You are trying to cool a 4870 with a fanless solution :eek:

From the Zalman site

"The VNF100 model is a silent VGA cooler that supports low and mid performance graphics cards.
Following is a list of low and mid performance graphics cards that are compatible with the VNF100.
* ATI Products
Radeon 9*** Series
Radeon X*** Series (Excluding X700 Pro, X850 Series)
Radeon X1050 Series
Radeon X1300 Series
Radeon X1550 Series
Radeon X1600 Series
Radeon X1800 XL Series
Radeon HD 2600Pro
Radeon HD 2600XT

Get a proper HSF designed for a 4870, they are powerful beasts that are hot. At the moment you are not far from killing yours.

**Edit, get the original HSF back on before you do anything else.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive got an Akasa Vortexx Neo on mine @ 100% fan and its not the quietest, but does the job. You defo dont want a fanless cooler on a 4870! Get the original cooler back on asap.

Soldato
That Zalman looks ok but obviously not quite good enough to cool a HD4870! :D

Cheap way forward would too just cable tie a 92mm or 120mm fan to the heatsink if you have space!

Associate
OP
mhhh passive 4870:eek: whats the temperature like

I still have the burn mark on my finger from last night. It must be 30 or 40 degrees celcius ABOVE stock.

Its been running in my Ip35/Dual Core/Scythe Ninja since February with no problems at all.

:eek:

Will it make a difference if i cable-tie a fan directly on to the GPU heatsink (just until i can buy another cooler)?

Soldato
The China Syndrome (1979)

Wikipedia said:
The China Syndrome is a hypothesis of a possible extreme result of a nuclear meltdown in which molten reactor core products breach the barriers below them and flow downwards through the floor of the containment building. The origin of the phrase is the concept that molten material from an American reactor may melt through the crust of the Earth and reach China

Associate
OP
I FOUND AN OLD ZALMAN FAN IN MY GADGET DRAW (ZMOP1) WHICH I MANAGED TO ATACH TO THE GPU HEATSINK. ITS NOW A LOT COOLER (RIVATUNER SAYS 52 DEGREES STATIC).

SORRY FOR SHOUTING BUT THE FAN IS SO LOUD!

(its actually louder than the stock fan assembly - which i threw away!)

Soldato
I FOUND AN OLD ZALMAN FAN IN MY GADGET DRAW (ZMOP1) WHICH I MANAGED TO ATACH TO THE GPU HEATSINK. ITS NOW A LOT COOLER (RIVATUNER SAYS 52 DEGREES STATIC).

SORRY FOR SHOUTING BUT THE FAN IS SO LOUD!

(its actually louder than the stock fan assembly - which i threw away!)

I've heard of makeshift modding but... whatever floats yer boat!

Back
Top Bottom