Bristol

Associate
I don't know anything about Bristol or the area so some advice please...so my girlfriend and i are off to Ireland on the wed 21st oct flying from Bristol. just a few things i need help with:

1) a hotel on the 20th for 1 night ~ £50 would be ideal, also close to Temple Meads station.

2) best way to get to the airport on the 21st. our flight is at 11am!

3) we arrive in Bristol via train at midday on the 20th, after we've checked into the hotel what can we do to occupy ourselves shopping/eating wise for the rest of the day??

think that's it..fankyoo!! ;)

Soldato
Theres a Premier Inn literally opposite Temple Meads. You can also get a bus from TM up to Clifton and go see the Suspension bridge, or you can walk into town and go to Cabots Circus (big shopping place)

You can also get the shuttle bus from TM direct to Bristol Airport. Shout if you want more specifics but its dead easy to find it all on google.

Soldato
1) There's several hotels near the station, though the closest one would probably be best, it's marked on google earth iirc.

3) Take her to the new Cabot Circus shopping centre, there's loads of nice places to eat in there as well as a whole host of fairly nice shops to keep you occupied. Failing that, take a walk into the centre and admire the architecture like the cathedral, council building, Wills Memorial building etc. If the weather's nice it's not too bad.

Associate
OP
Theres a Premier Inn literally opposite Temple Meads. You can also get a bus from TM up to Clifton and go see the Suspension bridge, or you can walk into town and go to Cabots Circus (big shopping place)

You can also get the shuttle bus from TM direct to Bristol Airport. Shout if you want more specifics but its dead easy to find it all on google.

ty. the suspension bridge sounds like fun. she'll defo like Cabots Circus!

1) There's several hotels near the station, though the closest one would probably be best, it's marked on google earth iirc.

3) Take her to the new Cabot Circus shopping centre, there's loads of nice places to eat in there as well as a whole host of fairly nice shops to keep you occupied. Failing that, take a walk into the centre and admire the architecture like the cathedral, council building, Wills Memorial building etc. If the weather's nice it's not too bad.

cool. so these places are all in walking distance from the TM area??

just seen at hotel called the Ibis on google..says its 12 mins walk from TM. at £55 p/n doesn't seem too bad. will check the Premier inn too :)

Soldato
I think there's two Ibis hotels closeish to TM, though that price sounds pretty good.

Shopping centre isn't far at all from TM, centre of town (including the bridge) is a bit more of a trek, so might want to bus it for that like knip suggests. Just punch them into google maps/earth and you can see for yourself.

Soldato
1) a hotel on the 20th for 1 night ~ £50 would be ideal, also close to Temple Meads station.

Loads of hotels near the station and there's a Travel Lodge in the centre (will come to this later).

2) best way to get to the airport on the 21st. our flight is at 11am!

Bus. The main station is in the middle of town and buses run every 10 minutes iirc. As before, the Travel Lodge is also right next to this.

3) we arrive in Bristol via train at midday on the 20th, after we've checked into the hotel what can we do to occupy ourselves shopping/eating wise for the rest of the day??

Depends what you want to do. There's the new Cabot Circus shopping centre in town and plenty to do in the similar area - loads of restaurants on the welsh back by the floating harbour, SS Great Britain etc.

There's also the Clifton Suspension Bridge a bit further up (£8 taxi ride) with the zoo a further 5 minutes walk from there. Clifton Village also has loads of nice cafes, deli's and restaurants and the like.

Edit: Feel free to add me to MSN if you need any more help or want more specifics! Email in trust.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are hotels in and around Cabots circus as well, I was just suggesting the one opposite TM because it means you just have to cross the road to get the bus up to Clifton, and also the bus that will take you to the airport. Cabots Circus is walkable from there as well.

Associate
OP
I think there's two Ibis hotels closeish to TM, though that price sounds pretty good.

Shopping centre isn't far at all from TM, centre of town (including the bridge) is a bit more of a trek, so might want to bus it for that like knip suggests. Just punch them into google maps/earth and you can see for yourself.

aye bus sounds best. one Ibis is city centre and one is on Avon St, <-this looks closest to TM on google! mixed reviews tho.

Associate
OP
Depends what you want to do. There's the new Cabot Circus shopping centre in town and plenty to do in the similar area - loads of restaurants on the welsh back by the floating harbour, SS Great Britain etc.

There's also the Clifton Suspension Bridge a bit further up (£8 taxi ride) with the zoo a further 5 minutes walk from there. Clifton Village also has loads of nice cafes, deli's and restaurants and the like.

Edit: Feel free to add me to MSN if you need any more help or want more specifics! Email in trust.

sounds good!! will check Travelodge now. i might just email ya for specifics, appreciated that! :)

Associate
Top floor of Cabbot Circus is filled with nice places to eat for lunch, and there's 2 Mac shops, one near the station and one near Cabbot Circus, so you can get yourself a nice new Mac too :)

Loads of places to top on on clothes if you need some to take. Every label you could want.
Also a HUGE new Primark just opened if she like to buy lots because its cheap, like most women do.

There's also a BRILLIANT food place called Flavas (or something like that.) near the Theatre, opposite end of Birstol, I'd totally advise going there for lunch too.

Zoo and there's a Nice view form up at Clifton Suspension Bridge.
Or you could come to my house :)

Right next the the Rail Station theres a Big museum of something if you like History. Think its about Brittish Commenwealth.

PLEASE AVIOD ST. PAULS!
There's nothing there apart from people that will stab you.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Top floor of Cabbot Circus is filled with nice places to eat for lunch, and there's 2 Mac shops, one near the station and one near Cabbot Circus, so you can get yourself a nice new Mac too :)

Loads of places to top on on clothes if you need some to take. Every label you could want.
Also a HUGE new Primark just opened if she like to buy lots because its cheap, like most women do.

There's also a BRILLIANT food place called Flavas (or something like that.) near the Theatre, opposite end of Birstol, I'd totally advise going there for lunch too.

Primark! yes!! lol. good food is a must, girlfriend loves sandwiches.

Zoo and there's a Nice view form up at Clifton Suspension Bridge.
Or you could come to my house :)

i'll be there! 1 sugar in my tea please :)

PLEASE AVIOD ST. PAULS!
There's nothing there apart from people that will stab you.

made me lol. cheers for the warning!

Soldato

How often have you been there? It's very hit and miss. Been three times. First was great, second was bad and third was even worse. Haven't been back since.

Soldato
I stayed at a Travel Lodge for one night near @Bristol - got a taxi from Temple Meads.

Girlfriend now lives in Bristol for uni.

However, there is a stop for First buses 8 and 9, as you come out of temple meads, it's on your right near some benches. Costs £1.35 for a single to the centre. Going back to the station you get the bus from stop Cg (all stops have a map with marked bus stops on) every 10-15mins or so.

From there you're in walking distance to a variety of budget hotels and restaurants. If you want a cheap buffet, Flavour Z isn't too bad. As much as you can eat for about £12 a head, with Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian and a variety of salads and deserts. It's a lively place and alright for a quick bite.

Also, if you like Indian go towards the fountains etc near the centre, walk towards @Bristol and there's a place called Tikka Flame - had a good meal there last week. (~£3-6 for starters / mains ~ £9-13 / rice ~ £2.50)

Colston Hall is something I fancy taking a look at, walked past last week while there was some heavy rock playing with a load of people sat having coffee and drinks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom