iPhone officially switches from O2 UK to Orange UK after restore!!!

Associate
I can’t believe what has just happened!

I am now factory locked on another carrier!

My partner's 3G has been locked to O2 from out of the box from new but I had JB'ed and unlocked it. iPhone was on 3.0 so I updated to 3.1.2 via iTunes this evening.

When the phone switched back on it activated in iTunes then downloaded a carrier update, as Orange UK are about to start selling iPhones from next week I believe my partner's iPhone is now factory locked to Orange UK rather than O2 UK as I got full reception and haven’t even ran any other "tools" as of yet! Just tried an O2 sim and now states invalid sim inserted!

Now I’m only going to JB and not apply the unlock. My theory is Apple are going to ship O2 devices and simply change the lock status within iTunes on first activation depending on the sim card used!

I will try my 3GS as I'm on 3.1 JB and soft unlocked also on Orange UK pay monthly. Can anyone else try this?

UPDATE!

Just did the same on my 3GS and it is now factory locked to Orange rather than O2!

I restored the 3G to 3.2.1. After the iTunes restore the phone displays "Connect to iTunes" I connect it and it then says "Activated" and Orange UK was showing, this is without using any "tools".

This happened on both phones. I've only JB'ed not unlocked and both are fully working on 3.2.1 officially on Orange UK with full servies. My options have gone for editing the "Cellular data settings" under network.

Both phones are fully working without having applied a software unlock.

Means apple are selling the phones locked and activate depending on what sim card you use.

Please try this and let me know!

Permabanned
Doesn't sound like anything went wrong to me if you read the post - sounds like his missus was on Orange and when he restored the phone he didn't need to unlock it anymore after the carrier update. If he restored it again with an O2 SIM I assume it would go back to being locked to O2, that's what it sounds like he means anyway.

Associate
OP
Doesn't sound like anything went wrong to me if you read the post - sounds like his missus was on Orange and when he restored the phone he didn't need to unlock it anymore after the carrier update. If he restored it again with an O2 SIM I assume it would go back to being locked to O2, that's what it sounds like he means anyway.

Exactly right. If I now restore with an O2 Sim it is then relocked to O2.

This indicates that Apple will not sell different versions with different locks.

Associate
So if I hooked up my o2 locked iPhone 3G into iTunes with my Orange SIM card, restored using the 3.1.2 firmware and once it is done, iTunes will detect my phone on Orange & download the new Carrier settings and once it has installed on my iPhone it will now be solely locked to Orange? Has anybody else tried this?

Thanks - Liam

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So if I hooked up my o2 locked iPhone 3G into iTunes with my Orange SIM card, restored using the 3.1.2 firmware and once it is done, iTunes will detect my phone on Orange & download the new Carrier settings and once it has installed on my iPhone it will now be solely locked to Orange? Has anybody else tried this?

Thanks - Liam

Yes, correct.

Again at weekend I needed to restore my girlfriends 3G as app's wouldn't load after the back-up restore.

I put the phone in DFU mode, restored firmware. iTunes displayed "Activated" then a carrier update from Apple was ready for download. I should have filmed it.

Back
Top Bottom