unable to resolve hostname: No such host is known. (11001)

Soldato
I get this when trying to VNC onto a Wyse terminal. I can successfully VNC onto a Wyse box in our office but if I try to get onto one outside our office I get this message.

"unable to resolve hostname: No such host is known. (11001)"

It has nothing to do with Windows firewall because that would be once a user is logged in and Firewall is off by default on all our Citrix servers

I'm using a Wyse box here that was taken from another office, it has the same settings as all other boxes

Does anyone have any clues what could be causing the message?

Man of Honour
Sounds like you're trying to connect to a hostname that you've got no DNS resolution for, either from a DNS server or hosts entry. Have you tried connecting to the IP address of the target machine?

Soldato
Sounds like you're trying to connect to a hostname that you've got no DNS resolution for, either from a DNS server or hosts entry. Have you tried connecting to the IP address of the target machine?

Probably this. "Inside the office" you probably pick up the DNS settings automatically but outside you need to configure them manually.

Soldato
OP
IP address is set to DHCP on all Wyse boxes. How would i find the IP address of the target machine as they are outside the office and on DHCP. Doing a ping of the terminal name does not find them

Thanks

Soldato
I'm getting this exact problem trying to VNC onto a laptop. It isn't a DNS issue as its done via IP but I'm getting the same error code. Havnet had too much time to look at it yet though

- Pea0n

Soldato
OP
I was able to VNC onto another local machine inside the office, then ping the client wyse terminals to get the ip addresses. I can now use VNC to get onto the Wyse boxes but a. I dont know some of the old passwords so get authentication failed and b. DHCP will give the clients a new address on new login anyway.

I'm going down to the office in the new year to fix ip addresses to terminals

Thanks all

Associate
I'm getting this exact problem trying to VNC onto a laptop. It isn't a DNS issue as its done via IP but I'm getting the same error code. Havnet had too much time to look at it yet though

- Pea0n

Double check the IP address you're entering doesn't have any odd characters.

Double check the IP address on the actual VNC Server machine, is it the same? Can you ping it?

Back
Top Bottom