Odd phone call : Silence then a voice says "Goodbye"

Soldato
Had this about a dozen times in the last 4 days. The first time it happened I dialed 1471 and for some bizarre reason 1471 told me the number consisted entirely of zero's. :confused:

Phone rings, you pick up. There's a pause of about 5 seconds then an automated voice says "Goodbye" and the line goes dead. Ignored it but it happened again. The last few times I have just hung up as soon as I hear that tell tale "pause" at the start of the call at the other end of the line but this time 1471 says We do not have the callers number". We are registered on the TPS ( although that doesn't seem to deter certain companies nowadays :rolleyes: ) but it's getting quite annoying now. Just had the same call about 5 minutes ago and last night for the first time we had one of these calls at 11.50pm ish which was really annoying!!. :mad:

Anyone had these calls or know what they are about?. Some kind of scam to get you to call them back and then charge you a fortune for doing so?. This is what I first suspected but then if 1471 does not have the number this isn't possible obviously. So what's the point of them calling?.

Soldato
OP
LOL!!!. :D

Been having a Google of similar calls, seems to be quite frequent / common but so far I haven't found any info as to what the calls are all about. Would be nice to pin it down to a one culprit in particular so as to be able to call them back and ask them politely to "fornicate off". :p

Caporegime
Auto diallers. Rings 100 numbers at once and there are 20 operators available to take the calls. First 20 get through, the rest get a "goodbye" although normally silence/hang up.

I had one a couple of months ago which was all zeros on the caller display. I think it was one of those get rid of your debts companies.

Strung them along cause I was bored for about 5 minutes answering their questions and getting them all excited especially the size of my (company) debts/borrowings. Finally, she asked, "are you a company and not a private individual" to which I said yes and she said "but we only deal with private debts" to which I answered "why have you rung the main office number then?"

She hung up after that. :D

Associate
Auto diallers. Rings 100 numbers at once and there are 20 operators available to take the calls. First 20 get through, the rest get a "goodbye" although normally silence/hang up.

I had one a couple of months ago which was all zeros on the caller display. I think it was one of those get rid of your debts companies.

Strung them along cause I was bored for about 5 minutes answering their questions and getting them all excited especially the size of my (company) debts/borrowings. Finally, she asked, "are you a company and not a private individual" to which I said yes and she said "but we only deal with private debts" to which I answered "why have you rung the main office number then?"

She hung up after that. :D

This. I dont even bother answering the parents house phone as 9 times out of 10 its people trying to sell you things. Even when you say your not intrested they still continue!

Back
Top Bottom