Removing the AG coating on Dell IPS screens (warning - will void warranty)

Soldato
Iv got a U2410 which I would love to have the glossy screen like you see on some. Basically before going all out on my U2410 will full warranty iv got a old 17" dell ultrasharp with the same anti glare coating. Its soaking at the moment so should have some results tomorrow to show the difference.

Its supposed to give a near gloss finish comparable to the iMac screens. Heres the guide I am following and a few pics of the finished product.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=878149

First is a screen with the mod done next to a stock screen with the coating.

6w5a3.jpg

4672028261_2ffa274797.jpg

Has anyone done this before? Just to add this voids any warranty obviously and i take no responsibility if you try it and mess it up. :)

Soldato
I haven't but I have used screens that it has been done to. It certainly makes a difference to colour vibrancy and I would love to know how you get on. Don't take this as encouragement to do it (if you need any) as I don't have experience of the actual removal process myself.

Soldato
OP
If you read the link its supposed to make blacks better and colours more vibrant. It really is just a big sticker stuck on it with water based glue. The hardest part I found was taking the screen apart. Although its not back together iv plugged it in and it still powers up fine.

Associate
... been reading that you need to put a glass sheet infront of it... as you have just uncoverd the poleariser?

You don't NEED to, but it's much more vulnerable now it's exposed!

The process of removing the AG filter can damage the polariser too - it's not exactly risk free.

If it were risk free, I'd have done it to all of my monitors.

By the time you've found a glass sheet to cover it, ruined your warranty and risked destroying the monitor - you may as well have just bought an apple cinema display!

Soldato
OP
Well if you didn't already own a matte screen then that might be a better option but the fact is lots of people already own there's with the AG coating. I thought the apple screens lacked inputs and OSD menus?

Any idea how you would attach some glass?

Soldato
I just find it amusing how he says it's instantly made the colours better for "his photography" but probably hasn't ever calibrated the thing properly. :D

Back
Top Bottom