Where am I going wrong here?

Soldato
Hi all, got a bit of a dilemma here, not sure what to do about it.

Basically, at the start of November, I called Orange CS with the intention of having them unlock my old iPhone 3GS so that I could sell it to a friend on Vodafone. The phone itself was about 2 years old at the time.

I spoke to CS who put it all through for me, told me that it'd cost £20, charged to my bill and that it'd take upto 30 days. I knew this as i'd read it online.

Anyhow, a month passes - no unlock, no charge to my bill. I call Orange again. I'm told there's no record of the unlock even being ordered. Ho-hum, alright, mistakes get made. I ask them to put it through, and I was told that as i'd been messed around they'd have it done quicker than a month, that I should expect it within a week.

A week passes, no unlock. Phone again. I'm told that there's "no way to put it through faster" and that it'd be upto a month. Right, okay, starting to get annoyed here.

December passes, and so does most of January. No charge, no unlock. I phone again, expecting to be told that there's no trace of it, but alas there is. It's just that it's been "put through wrong" and would need to be submitted again. By this point i'm rather annoyed and tell them of it. I speak to a manager who assures me that he can indeed get it put through quicker than a month, simply because of how long i've had to wait already.

So here I am, two weeks on from that and guess what? No unlock, no charge to my bill. I'm at my wits end here and before I phone back and let them have both barrels does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try another language? Because "can you unlock a phone?" doesn't seem to work, at all, despite assurances it will.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hmm this is making me wonder. I requested an unluck for an iphone 4 who claimed they have sent it to apple and takes upto 30 days. I better phone them tomorrow and find out if they actually have sent it.

Soldato
OP
Can the local market guy unlock it for a tenner? :p

Well I wanted somewhere that I could get some kind of "guarantee" - i.e if I had problems with it down the line and the market trader had moved on.

I guess a guarantee that they'll actually do it would be a start.

Soldato
OP
Okay, HELP ME PLEASE! :( :( :(

I've just been on the phone with them, and there's no record of having asked for the unlock! I'm at the end of my tether, I don't know what to say or ask them anymore!

Does anyone here work for Orange CS and can help me with this?

I don't really want to get a code off ebay or the market as I have no guarantee, and as i'll be selling this phone on, I need somewhere to take it in the event of problems.

FIVE MONTHS this has been going on, and now i'm getting the old "that'll be 30 days" restart.

Soldato
OP
I've got an email through that confirms i've asked - but that doesn't seem to help here. They just deny all knowledge of me ever having asked.

Soldato
OP
Well that's that. Phoned me back to say it would be THREE MONTHS then I could start the process to unlock it again. When asked why, they told me there was no record of the phone being used.

Yes, Orange. I never stood in YOUR shop and took out YOUR contract, and I was never handed this phone by the store manager of the Exeter Orange branch. No, that never happened.

So I told them to shove it. And i'm going to the regulator about this, it's been long enough.

Soldato
Almost sounds as bad as t-mobile 28 WORKING days they wont do anything about it until the 22nd of march. Iphones raging me now. I feel for you bud.

Edit: just seen your edit thats utterly disgusting to be honest my unlock was for an iphone 4 thats now in egypt with my brother or I would have swapped it out. I will no doubt be heading to the regulator as well as T-mobile sound just as rubbish at orange.

Soldato
Vodaphone unlocked an old mobile for free. It was almost instant. crazy.

I got my orange unlock from a guy online for £10 (not for an iphone I admit). Crazy to think that this process can take so long.

Also.. I did read that some companies will NOT unlock phones if it's not actively in use. That's sucks mega ass Tute :(

I got fed up of Orange in general since they can't do things like keep there online safety feature turned off, take three months to sort out a screwed up bill at the start of the contract, then do it again on my wife's orange contract.... awesome company. They used to be such a good company before about 2005.. not sure what happened (Takeover?)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's not in use currently. It was my phone in 2009 when it came out on Orange. When the iPhone 4 came out I swapped to that, and my girlfriend got the 3GS. She put her SIM into it and carried on using it. Then when I got the 4S and the missus got the 4, it's sat dormant since.

I have a mate I promised this to who's on Vodafone, I feel so bad as i've mucked him around since November chasing it, and now it's all fallen through.

I'm drafting a letter to OFCOM as we speak, i'm not letting them get away with this. I was tempted to tell them to cancel my SIM only plan too and i'd take my custom elsewhere, but I just about stopped myself as that'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face somewhat.

I just wish i'd been told this back in November/December last year. I'd have not been happy but i'd probably have dealt with it. But to be jacked around for 5 months to be told it'd be another 3-4, no ****ing chance.

And from now on, all my phones will come unlocked from the shop I buy them. Never again am I buying a phone locked to a network, especially Orange.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Similar kind of thing...I called up 3 asking for the unlock code for an old NOkia 6700 Classic I got through them on an upgrade few years ago...£15 charge please...will take 48 hours..no problem I say...

I call them up 2 days later - sorry there is no record of you requesting it...right...we will have to request it again...another 2 days later I get an email with the code! Woohoo...not...the code does not work! £15 has been charged to my bill.

Call them up again...we will have to submit it again..another 48 hours...I wait about 4 days and call them again...sorry we are still waiting to hear back from Nokia.. I call another 2 days later and they have the new code! Guess what...didnt work either..

Another week passes and they call me with a 3rd code..and guess what...doesn't work either. I tell them to forget it as its a joke and ask for a refund and get that processed (I hope!) They said I should still get the code at some point..for free I guess..but Im not holding much hope.

Soldato
OP
I don't understand why it's so difficult. At least yours was 48 hours though. :p

The cynical side of me wonders if it's done on purpose to try and stop you from switching networks.

Anyhow, said friend has now asked me for advice on what mobile to go for for £150. He's happy with either Android or Windows. Needs to be usable on Vodafone, so either locked to them or SIM free please. I suggested the Lumia 710, but i'm not really clued up on £150 phones, so any suggestions?

Soldato
They allways just blame apple. They send the request to them apple tell them its 28 working days for them to update the database or whatever nonsense it is and then you get a letter or an email to tell you when you next connect to Itunes it will unlock.

Back
Top Bottom