Which migrating tool SSD->SSD

Associate
Hi,

It's high time that I changed my SSD. So I've bought new Agility 3 60 and I'm going to place my "old" Agility 60 GB to wife's laptop to enhance its responsiveness :)

But question is - which tool would you recommend to make an exact copy of my old drive ? I've got multiboot system, so I'd like to have all stuff copied, including MBR, EBR and rest of files. Drivers should be the same (AHCI), so eventually Windows will install its own stuff once new Agility 3 will be detected.

Which program is good for SSDs ? Acronis True Image ? Anyone checked it out already ?

Thanks

Soldato
Whatever you use make sure it supports alignment.

AFAIK I thought the only way preserve alignment was with Windows 7 own imaging tool? I do not think that will preserve MBR etc however.

Associate
OP
AFAIK alignment is something to consider once partition has been set up under WinXP. Since I've got Win7-partitioned SSD (one partition BTW), this shouldn't be an issue.

http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4084

Link above tells about restore option, but link inside:

http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Partition_Alignment.htm

tells me there's alignment management there, just in case.

So I will try Macrium, thank you for keeping me updated ;), anyway did anyone try this soft for SSD cloning (philtor you didn't mention that, would you be so kind, plz - how it goes) ?

Caporegime
use paragon migrate,works for me and free if you look in the right places

can use acronis true image but it did error when i tried to clone an ssd to a hdd,hdd to hdd it worked fine

one thing you must do for safety,remove any un needed hdd's/ssd's before you clone the drives you want to clone,after its done unplugg your old original cloned os/data hdd/ssd,then plug your new cloned hdd/ssd into your pc and it will be fine,add other drives later if you like for storage ect

if you dont do that it will usually mess up the mbr or boot manager

Last edited:
Associate
if i take say my boot drive out of my server its using whs2011 put it in another pc as a normal drive can i clone that aswell or soes it only work with the boot drive of the pc you are using...

Caporegime
if i take say my boot drive out of my server its using whs2011 put it in another pc as a normal drive can i clone that aswell or soes it only work with the boot drive of the pc you are using...

Aslong as you don't try to boot from it in your other pc,just put it in as add in hdd and a blank hdd and clone it to the blank hdd I can't see why it wouldn't work

Associate
might try it for my server aswell thanks...no way just installed it...it cant be that easy to migrate can it...it does it all for you lol...ill play with it tomorrow thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Aslong as you don't try to boot from it in your other pc,just put it in as add in hdd and a blank hdd and clone it to the blank hdd I can't see why it wouldn't work

It would work, but it might create some issues, as well. People shouldn't clone HDD to SSD due to few reasons (alignment, drivers and OS-specific features addressed for specific hardware like disk indexing/caching etc), I'd propose to install system from the scratch & tweak system features for SSD & install further software & restore backed up data in such case.

Associate
OP
OK, I confirm :) Macrium Reflect did it well. I had to initialize and quick format new Agility 3 drive first, and whole process took about 7.5 min.
Now my linuxes don't start because I've added second GFX card to SLI, what a crappy systems ;)

Soldato
I used Macrium Reflect the other night do do a regular HDD backup for another persons drive.

Was very impressed with the product so decided to image my own SSD also. Will be kept as a "Return to fresh install" image.

Wanted to use the Win 7 built in but it refused to let me image to my RAID-0 volume. Reckoned it was part of the system when it clearly is not!

Back
Top Bottom