can someone help me remove windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi, I've posted in the software section but I'm not getting anywhere. I need to remove windows 7 from my hard drive but without deleting all my movies on it. I can't move these files elsewhere because I don't have another hard drive big enough.

I have 3 folders to delete but I can't, it won't let me because I need the permission of a 'trusted installer' appparently. the folders are 'windows' 'program files' 'program files(x86)'

can anyone please help me?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Biz I thought of that but I couldn't figure out how to do it, If you know how to tell me and ill try it if andy's method don't work :D.

andy im in the exact same position as you were :D just bought an ssd and want to remove them from my 2tb :) Ill try this take ownership thing you suggested since it seems quite good :)

Associate
OP
tried your take ownership, and it worked for the windows and the program files folders. but it didnt work for the program files (x86). any ideas why this doesnt work?

Associate
OP
okay tried going into the folder and taking ownership of the subfolders and deleting them, worked other than the GIGABYTE folder :/ this is the one with easytune 6 in that i installed in it when I installed the drivers for my motherboard. this is the final thing i need to remove. any ideas?

Associate
OP
okay so i have a single file that i need to delete and apparently dont have permissions to delete even after using the take ownership tool.

the file is the gigabyte easytune 6 file called 'flash11e.ocx'
any ideas on how to delete it? I've been trying for what must be 4 hours now. please save me :D

Soldato
Why do you want to uninstall windows and why have you not backed up your data? Why not sign up to drop box orget a cheap usb stick copy the films over then format the drive as normal.

Associate
download easus partition master. right click your hard drive and then select shrink. Shrink it the size of your movies and then click apply. then you should see another sort of hard drive underneath yours. it should be called 'Unallocated'. right click it and create volume. leave the settings as it is except for format, select NTFS. then click create volume. you should then have two hard drives.
then format the HD with the os on it, then move the movies back on the HD that the OS was on, then go back on easus partion master and delete the volume you created for movies, then right click your hard drive and select expand and then add the unallocated partition and then DONe.
o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom