• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How do you get audio out from a GTX 580 ??

Soldato
Does anyone know if the audio on an MSI GTX 580 GPU comes out of the DVI socket by using an DVI to HDMI adaptor
Or does it come out of the mini HDMI socket ??

As I want to feed a HDMI cable from my GTX 580 to my AV amp.

My MSI GTX 580 are the same as this one below
small_580570_msi2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
DVI doesn't carry audio, but i think mini-hdmi does.

Even with the dvi-hdmi adapter you wont get sound. You will probably have to use the mini-HDMI to get any audio.

I've never had mini-hdmi myself, so not 100%, but im pretty sure it carries sound.

Don
Correct only ATI special DVI to HDMI connnectors allowed for sound conversion :)

I would have thought over mini HDMI would have worked though...

Stelly

Soldato
If I remember right,the audio comes out of the DVI sockets on my old GTX 285 cards when using a DVI to HDMI adaptor...

Sorry, it may well do then. I've always assumed it was digital video only, looks like you can get an adapter for it. Apologies :)

Not sure if its all the same for DVI-I and DVI-D though... But since that card uses DVI-D i guess it shouldn't be a problem.

Caporegime
Mini hdmi does carry audio, my previous gtx 470's had mini ports, an adapter was supplied with the cards. My current gtx 670 though has a full sized hdmi connector. Used both to watch movies from the pc on an lcd telly.

Soldato
OP
Used both to watch movies from the pc on an lcd telly.
Am trying to do this because i want play the new tomb raider game on my plasma screen with a wireless gamepad...

And my HTPC that I already have connected to my plasma screen only has an old GTX 285 in it..:(
(Think I need to look at ordering a new more powerful GPU for my HTPC next week)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did your card not come with an adapter or a mini to standard hdmi cable? My 470's had the adapters, a couple of gtx 460's i had came with the cables. Theyre 153cm in length. Your welcome to it if you need it.

Soldato
OP
Did your card not come with an adapter or a mini to standard hdmi cable? My 470's had the adapters, a couple of gtx 460's i had came with the cables. Theyre 153cm in length. Your welcome to it if you need it.
Yes my 580's came with a short mini HDMI to normal HDMI cable
But I need a 4 metre cable to reach my plasma from my desktop system and I only own a normal 5metre HDMI cable..:(

Looks like I need to buy a mini HDMI to normal HDMI adaptor so I can use my 5 HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom