Bad problem with Asus P8Z77-V with onboard graphics

Associate
I am disappointed with this motherboard, I purchased one the other week and I was building the machine the other day but felt that this board is of poor design. I found that after installing it all and then putting the graphics card I'd purchased in that there was a conflict between the onboard graphics (The Intel HD 4000 graphics) and the graphics card that I put in the machine. I bought a Radeon HD 7950. The problem I was having was that when I'd installed and enabled both drivers for the onboard graphics and the Radeon graphics card there was a conflict and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit wouldn't boot properly. I tried and tried with it and spent hours on end trying to get it to work with both running at the same time, I tried their software they recommended called LucidLogix Virtu MVP where it's supposed to allow you to select which GPU you want to use and which you don't when using a separate graphics card.

The conclusion that I arrived at is that it doesn't work, as I spent many hours trying all the possibilities of trying to get it to install properly and get it working. I did however manage to get LucidLogix Virtu MVP to install with both graphics drivers installed but this was only possible by plugging my monitor using the DVI-I connector into the onboard graphics. But I was trying everything in the motherboard manual about using LucidLogix Virtu MVP and setting it up correctly in the bios also like setting your graphics card to the PCI-E as the primary interface. It was no good and didn't work at all. I did however waste quite a lot of time with it and it doesn't appear to work really so I was very let down by Asus in how this board does work. The only solution was to simply disable the Intel onboard graphics in the Device Manager in Windows 7. It is a shame that this is the only way you can stop the conflict between the two GPUs. It is a shame with this motherboard that you have to put up with a disabled device in the device manager if you're wanting to use a decent graphics card in your machine.

Asus could have solved this problem but they didn't and I think it is bad on their part as a motherboard manufacturer, it could have been very simple really they could have either put a feature in the bios so you could completely disable the onboard graphics or even better could have just put a jumper on the motherboard so you could choose whether you wanted to use the onboard graphics and just deactivate the onboard graphics completely. They obviously failed here, it is such a shame that I have to put up with this problem and paying something around £155 for this board was such a shame.

Like I said I did spend many hours trying to resolve this problem but there appears to be no way around it. I was even thinking at one point about maybe changing the bios firmware again as I'd already put the latest one on but was thinking about maybe swapping to the earlier previous firmware to that but then I decided not to bother as there's probably no point and it would still not work properly.

I guess I can put up with it as just a disabled device in Windows 7, it shouldn't have to be like that though and Asus do things wrong at times, they can be poor at manufacturing things. I notice that this problem regarding this onboard Intel graphics issue has affected many people on the internet, you only have to google this problem and find that quite a few of their boards are causing a problem when trying to install a graphics card.

Shame really, the rest of the board seems good but this silly Intel HD 4000 problem really should be sorted out for future boards, I think Asus need telling really, they are muppets.

Associate
OP
I was trying to read more about this problem the other day. There was a thread somewhere on some tech forum talking about this, though the people on the thread were a bit on the thick side because they couldn't even manage to install that Virtu program until something like post number 60. It was interesting though seeing them talking about this. It's not just this board that I got, it's other boards that are similar to it, all the ASUS ones.

There's no way to get it working, it does tell you what to do in the manual but it's just stupid because it doesn't do what it's supposed to. I do understand something more recently that this onboard graphics thing well the Intel HD 4000 thing comes as part of the CPU. I did notice that when I bought the CPU. I've got one of those Intel Core i5-3570K processors like this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-418-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1275

I still think though Asus could have just put a simple jumper on the board or something so it doesn't show up in Windows anymore if you want to install your own graphics card. I'm not sure how it works exactly when it comes to being part of the CPU but still, I would have been happy if it had worked like it said in the motherboard manual. Why do Asus do this? It's a bit silly, they're supposed to be the experts when it comes to all this computer and electronic stuff. It's just daft and plus it's not like it was a cheap motherboard either it was fairly expensive.

Last week, last Friday it was actually I tried and tried to get it working for hours. But I just had to give up eventually because it was doing my head in and getting me annoyed.

Has anybody else had this problem here? Surely this motherboard and ones like it are sold quite widespread, there must be some others who have experienced this? What are you supposed to do consider a different board instead? Having to have it disabled in the device manager all the time just so you can plug a graphics card into your motherboard is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard of.

Associate
OP

No, it is no good. What they're suggesting on that other thread doesn't work.

It's quite simple really, if you enable the Intel HD 4000 graphics adapter then it will make the machine have severe problems as far as when you enable the Intel graphics your screen will go off and you can't see your desktop anymore therefore you have to hard reset your computer.

Also if you install the Intel graphics when you're using your graphics card the machine won't boot properly and it will crash on the Windows 7 logo screen. The only way to get your machine to boot properly is to boot into safe mode and then disable the Intel graphics in the device manager.

The machine does seem fine IF you disable the Intel graphics in device manager but the moment you enable it it causes all kinds of problems, the ones I mentioned above.

I have changed the settings in the bios for the Intel graphics, have disabled it for multi monitor and everything and even set the primary adapter as PCI-E but it still makes no difference and the Intel graphics comes up as an issue.

Also if you don't install it and then boot your machine, Windows 7 updates will try and install the driver for it as an important update so there's no way of stopping it from doing that, eventually it will find its way onto your machine again and then will cause your display to go blank.

It is a silly mistake from Asus, they should have never designed this the way they have. Like I said earlier on in this thread, the simple answer to the problem would have been to put a physical jumper on the motherboard so you could just disable the Intel graphics adapter completely. Asus failed in this area, it is their embarressment. I have tried and tried with it but to no luck it is a complete failure.

I wish I had not bought this motherboard now, I don't plan on exchanging it either as it's too much hassle to go down that road, I guess I just have to like it and lump it.

I'm not very happy about it, do Asus actually care? Well probably not, they don't even speak good English anyway as they are half way around the world in Taiwan. It really is silly, also pointless trying to contact them as I've found out before, their communication skills are a joke.

It's a very sad situation, for a £155 motherboard I would have expected more, it just causes all kinds of problems this Intel HD 4000 graphics and OF COURSE people are gonna use stand alone graphics cards, most people do that. Heck why they even bothered to put onboard graphics on it is beyond me. As far as I'm concerned they should have gone back to the drawing board with this mobo, it is rubbish and now I have to leave it with a permanent issue in the Windows 7 device manager because of their design fault.

Caporegime
if I were you id scrap the idea of lucid virtue and turn off onboard in the bios and stick to your 7950 as main display

it's flakey at the best of times and doesn't really add much over your 7950 so id stick with that

just use the onboard graphics in emergencies when you don't have a dedicated graphic card

Associate
OP
if I were you id scrap the idea of lucid virtue and turn off onboard in the bios and stick to your 7950 as main display

it's flakey at the best of times and doesn't really add much over your 7950 so id stick with that

just use the onboard graphics in emergencies when you don't have a dedicated graphic card

This is why I'm so annoyed with it because there's NO WAY you can actually disable the onboard graphics in the bios, there's no such feature.

It really is crap by Asus, I mean they should have just put a physical jumper on the motherboard to disable it, that's what I would have done. They are just muppets those people, how could they overlook such a simple solution to something that doesn't work right?

Associate
OP
On my board, P8Z77-V Pro it's in CPU Agent. Have a look there?

Can you be more specific, I can't find where you can disable the Intel onboard graphics in the bios. I was just looking then, there doesn't seem to be an option anywhere.

Also I've just found something important out, it says in the motherboard manual that it is NOT recommended to use LucidLogix Virtu MVP whilst operating in RAID mode.

This is probably what is causing the problem, I'm using a RAID in my system. It doesn't work with a RAID system and causes problems and I've just noticed this in the manual just then.

No wonder I couldn't get it to work before, I spent ages, dam it, wish I'd of seen that now in the manual I've only just noticed it just now.

Can't seem to find where to disable it in the bios though, can any of you give me a clue? I'm stuck...

Caporegime

Agreed, it's flakier than a cadburys cocolate flake bar. Tried it a while back, crasged every browser i tried when trying to launch bf3. Thought sod this, just use the dedicated card and no more hassle. Lucid virtu sounds good in theory, but in practical terms it's as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike.

Associate
OP
I just had a very good look through the manual and I don't think there's a way you can disable the onboard Intel graphics on this board in the bios, unless I'm wrong of course, I might be wrong but I'm not sure.

I was just having a look before, can't seem to see anything. I'm glad though that I know you can't run that Virtu program in RAID mode, that I can't believe I didn't notice before lol

Now at least I've gotten somewhere with this, if I could disable in the bios then great but I just can't see it anywhere???

Associate
When I added a GTX670 to my pc I had to clear the cmos on P8Z77-V to stop the HD4000 from showing up in Device Manager.

Clear cmos then set iGPU Multi-Monitor to disabled under system agent and it should be disabled.

Associate
:( Ok, I wish to kickstart this thread again if the first user/poster doesn't mind, probably not I guess ?

I also have the 'Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard model' which I believe has the onboard INTEL HD 4000 Graphics output ? (I think, but I am not 100% sure on that as I haven't attempted to even try use that output yet (until now).

Anyways, I am having lots of problems here with my PC having the 116 BSOD error and its driving me nutz, I have another thread/post of my own about that too, but as this post is exactly what I was just about to ask then I thought best to bump it again please as it may get someone having a look in here :) ?

My goal right now is to try and eliminate my main separate AMD graphics card as a potential cause of the problem for the 116 error, I thought if I could just try and eliminate one thing at a time, Graphics, PSU and finally anything else, then that would be the way to go.

BUT, I have plugged in my HDMI cable into to the motherboards onboard rear HDMI output port but although I can hear windows booting through the speakers sound, I am not getting any picture on my screen :(

I have to then plug the hdmi cable back into the AMD graphics card and that way I get a picture, but that's useless as the computer is freezing up at any random time with this stupid 116 error, so as I said, because everything I have read seems to be pointing the finger at the Graphics through some shape or form, that's why I would like to be able to try and run the system Via the onboard graphics, you know what I am saying ?

That way I would know if my graphics card is faulty or not, but nomatter what I do I am not getting very far very fast at all nomatter what I try these days, NIGHTMARE :mad: , tired of the lot man :( feel like throwing the whole thing in the bin :(

Its going to be even more of a nightmare if someone suggests like they might do that I need or have to take out my main graphics card in order to try and get the onboard graphics working because apart from the main graphics card that's the only way I am able to view any picture like just now on the screen, know what I'm saying guys ?

So if it comes to that then I would have to be kneeling down on my solid tiled floor up and down constantly doing what I have to do and that would be fine if I had good legs/knees, but my knees are finished as I suffer from a problem with them etc which I wont go into detail about, but you can see what I am saying, my desktop PC isn't on the desktop, its on the floor where it has always been and has to stay (temps are cooler down there anyway, lol).

So anyhows guys, anyone at all, is there a way to get roundabout this what I am asking please ? I am getting totally desperate for answers or especially fixes now :(

Hope someone can help, thanks again.

Last edited:
Associate
116 error where in windows bsod?

You have to remove the graphic card then plug HDMI cable le into the MB to get onboard graphics,the graphics chip is built into the CPU its the igpu

ahh I see, so pull out the graphics card and then the built in motherboard HD graphics will kick in I guess yea ? this has been a nightmare for me :(

This is my 116 error thread here >>

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18679875

Associate
I think its to do with your gpu/driver

try display driver uninstaller and do a clean install of amd display driver

google ddu and download/run it

downloaded and saved it mate, plus I have updated my own thread which is shown two posts above this one too with the latest on how I am now getting on.

Associate
Try this, I had terrible trouble on my P8Z77-V after using the onboard graphics for a couple of days.

-Boot into safe mode
-Uninstall HD4000 graphics drivers from device manager; tick the box that says delete drivers
-Go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers
-Right click your PC and choose "Device installation settings"
-Select "No, let me choose what to do", then "Never install driver updates from Windows Update".
-Accept all changes and reboot

Basically, Windows Updates supplies a driver that isn't actually compatible with all motherboards - Windows auto-installs them then the faulty drivers cause a bluescreen on boot. You can get compatible drivers from the Asus website.

Back
Top Bottom