Unable to install OS from USB DVD or flash drive :((

Soldato
I purchased a new laptop, but wasn't aware it didn't have an optical drive. that's ok I thought, I'll install from a flash drive...

At the start of the install I'm getting a message 'Load Driver'
'A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.'

I've read that it's due to Windows 7 not having USB 3.0 drivers, and the 'fix' is to plug the drive into a USB 2.0 port. I'm using the USB 2.0 port so that's that.

I've tried from a USB optical driver, I've tried several OS disks and ISO's. I've tried disable various BIOS options (now reset to default). No joy.

I've tried downloading the chipset and various storage drivers onto the bootable flash drive, or another flash drive when trying to DVD...but it only displays 'X' and I'm unable to 'see' the other devices that hold these drivers.

Having spent most of the day trying to resolve, I've given up and hoping somebody on these lovely forums may be able to give me the guidance I desperately require... lol.

:(

Soldato
Not sure on the flash drive part but what USB DVD drive are you using? I use a Samsung SE-208DB for work when installing Windows, and it has worked with PCs even as old as not having SATA, using Windows XP. What motherboard are you using as well?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replying.

It's a Lacie Portable DVD+RW, USB 2.0 Bus Powered.

Trying to install on a brand new HP ProBook 430 G3 laptop. Basically swapped the SATA for an SSD.

[Edit: Maybe I'll order a Samsung...

Scott

Soldato
Looking on Lacie's site it looks like plug and play without the need of extra drivers, it should be working fine. Have you got the extra power cable connected? Does the BIOS see it fine?

Soldato
OP
I can select it as the boot option so it is being detected, and yup power connected as it will boot from the install DVD.

Looks like I'm going have to download all the drivers for the laptop from HP, pop them on another drive and see if it'll detect anything it can use!

Thanks for spending your time trying to help :)

Soldato
You should be able to just create a Windows 7 install USB drive and install from that without any drivers needed. I'm wondering if you're actually seeing the install drivers where it shows you the list of harddrives and it's actually asking for the SATA chipset drivers?

How are you making the USB drive? If you're following a guide, then which guide?

What's the make and model of the laptop?

Associate
I had a similar thing during windows 10 installation, a random youtube comment (on a video that was meant to be helpful but wasn't) had an obscure solution but one that actually worked.

When you encounter the message about missing drivers hit OK/Cancel to get back to retrying, but before you do remove the USB stick from one port and put it in another.

No idea if it helps for Win7, but it did for me on Win10 strangely enough.

Soldato
OP
You should be able to just create a Windows 7 install USB drive and install from that without any drivers needed. I'm wondering if you're actually seeing the install drivers where it shows you the list of harddrives and it's actually asking for the SATA chipset drivers?

How are you making the USB drive? If you're following a guide, then which guide?

What's the make and model of the laptop?

Yeah that's what I keep reading.

I'm using the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, and just following the instructions...pointing it to the ISO and then pointing it to the flash drive.
I've tried a couple of different (legit) .iso's.

I'm confused...It appears to start the install as I get to select country...it's when it's at the stage 'Collecting information' that a 'Select the drive to be installed' screen appears, prompting to load a CD/DVD drive device driver.

The laptop is an HP ProBook 430 G3, the SSD is a Crucial BX200.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for suggestion, but I'm using the only USB 2.0 port, but I have tried the USB 3.0. ports too without joy.

The issue isn't that its a USB2.0 port is that its using the same chipset as the USB3.0 to emulate the USB2.0 but as Windows 7 does not have those drivers installed as its far to old it cannot install. I have come across the exact same issue with my intel NUC and the newer Z170 Chipset motherboards.

The solution is to slipstream the USB drivers into the installation with something like NTLite or Dism. Have you checked on the HP Website to see if there is a utility to install Windows 7 on your laptop? I know that motherboard manufacturers are including it on their driver disks now as it have become an issue. You will probably find that the USB3 windows 7 install util from another motherboard manufacturer will sort you out.

Try these:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/V1_00_08.zip

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip

Hope that helps :)

Associate
Thanks for suggestion, but I'm using the only USB 2.0 port, but I have tried the USB 3.0. ports too without joy.

Shouldn't matter, when it worked for me I booted off USB3 and moved it to another USB2 port (I also tried from USB2 -> 3 with the same result). Obscure issue, but again might only be with the Win10 USB sticks.

Either way worth a try?

Soldato
I found the windows bootable tool very iffy at times.

Try using "rufus" - worked ever time like a charm for me.

Also check the bios - -I swapped out a hard drive for SSD on a laptop and had to switch the bios to legacy to get the USB stick to boot properly.

Soldato
As well as making sure the boot settings is set to legacy mode, might be worth turning off secure boot if the laptop has it and see if that works.

Looking at the specs have you considered trying Windows 10? I assume the laptop has a sticker with the 7 key on it, which can be used to activate 10.

Soldato
Perhaps one way round this is to put the drivers on a separate 2.5" drive and load them from that. Depending on the laptop, you may be able to install the drive in the CD bay as these are often SATA.

Back
Top Bottom