• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 FE Coil Whine

Associate
Anyone had any coil whine on thier FE cards mine was dead silent for about a week playing fallout 4 and then I launched black ops 3 for the first time and bam coil whine started screeching at me and now it does it in all games.

Its not the low clicking my old 980 had instead it's a real screaching that I can hear through my side panel just.

Don't know own if I'm too happy about spending £635 on a card that squeals at me :/

EDIT: Here is a video of it https://youtu.be/anZYKsV2wbE

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone had any coil whine on thier FE cards mine was dead silent for about a week playing fallout 4 and then I launched black ops 3 for the first time and bam coil whine started screeching at me and now it does it in all games.

Its not the low clicking my old 980 had instead it's a real screaching that I can hear through my side panel just.

Don't know own if I'm too happy about spending £635 on a card that squeals at me :/

How many fps do you get in blops 3? Coil wine seems to be more apparent in games that get lots of frames per second. Cap the fps to your refresh rate or set it to something like 100 for example and see if the coil whine goes away? Id assume your 1080 would be getting in excess of 150 fps easily.

Also does it happen in just Blops 3 or other games too?

Associate
OP
How many fps do you get in blops 3? Coil wine seems to be more apparent in games that get lots of frames per second. Cap the fps to your refresh rate or set it to something like 100 for example and see if the coil whine goes away? Id assume your 1080 would be getting in excess of 150 fps easily.

Also does it happen in just Blops 3 or other games too?

I'm gaming on an asus swift so 1440p 144htz refresh rate I'm getting between 120 and 144 FpS but I was getting this in fallout 4 without any noise.

Since launching black ops 3 it now whines in every game.

Will they RMA a card with coil whine I'm aware it's not inherently a fault?

What makes it more pronounced is the fact my card is sitting under a full cover EK waterblock and backplate in a full acrylic loop. This also makes it a real ball ache to remove.

The annoying thing is it has been silent in benches and gaming till I launched one game and it suddenly appeared in every game

Last edited:
Soldato
Put your ear close to the gfx card when it whines. Does it say "I am AMD's ghost and im whining because i cant match your speeds, grumble grumble grumble"

Edit:
@NoNameNoNumber - Just having a kid around. ;) Too much serious banter these days in gfx card section of forums.

At OP, if it were me and for the cost it better had be perfect so if its coil whine for sure and its distracting then defo contact customer service through forums or webnote and request a swap if possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys not cool jacking the thread with ur pettyness. From what I can tell the OP is being genuine and was seeking help.
At op it depends on their discretion I think. If its genuinely auidible they may accept the Rma. But if its only happening in blops3 then thy might not re-create the issue and send it back where u have to pay postage.

Caporegime
Coil whine only seems to have been an issue in the last few year for some reason, whats changed so much that its now an issue when 4 or 5 years ago I don't recall many people talking about it at all.

Soldato
Coil whine only seems to have been an issue in the last few year for some reason, whats changed so much that its now an issue when 4 or 5 years ago I don't recall many people talking about it at all.

Mixture of the voltages, fequencys of cores being used now and quality of parts.

Soldato
It's possible that your card has insulation on the electronics that whine to prevent the vibrations. However bo3 might have induced such a massive amount of vibrations that it broke free of the insulation and now all games make the parts vibrate and whine.

Associate
It might not be your card but possibly the power supply causing it. When I got a GTX 970 I had horrible coil whine, but when I tried a different power supply it went away completey.
It wasn't the best PSU but not cheap either, was a Coolermaster 750W GX, got a replacement (newer better version!) under warranty and it fixed the coil whine, so if you have one laying around or one in another PC try it with your 1080 and see if you still have the same problem.

Soldato

I suspect nvidia are using cheap parts these days. Their cards only seem to last 2 years before dying :/

Associate
OP
It's more like a high pitched clicking/buzzing rathet than an eeeeeeeeeekkkk its very similar to what my gtx 980 had.

I think your right something in black ops 3 caused the card to suddenly start whining and since then it has done it in all games although my frame rate it capped at 144 with my gsync monitor so not sure how it could have caused it its not like 144 frames is particularly high.

Since my gtx 980 days Ive invested in a much more reliable and efficient psu I'm running a HX750I platinum so I don't believe the power supply is the issue and the coil whine has suddenly appeared so I think that rules the psu out.

I've cranked my fans up 20 percent to drown it out somewhat and I'm hoping it might dissappear but I'm not sure what else I can do.

I was so pleased when I was gaming
On this for the first week it was silent and powerfull it's running at 2088 totally stable at 44 degrees, now I'm a bit bummed :(

Associate

Send it back

Back
Top Bottom