Poll: Rude recipient of parcel. Find out how the thread ends, using this amazing trick

Is Merlin5 "being too fussy"?

• Yes

Votes: 390 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
On friday, DPD courier was due to turn up with my parcel (nothing to do with OCuK, it was a drum case) between 3.30pm and 4.30pm. Didn't happen and no further texts. Just happened to look on my tracking, and it now said it will be delivered between 6am and 10pm. Thanks for the apology text saying you'll be delayed! :rolleyes:

Got on the phone to them, half an hour of 'someone will be with you shortly' recorded message before I finally gave up and disconnected. At 6pm the courier arrives by which time I'm a bit angry. I said to him "only an hour and a half late then". Now what he SHOULD have done, seeing as how I'm the customer is say "I do apologise for the delay sir, my van had a problem.. etc"
Because apparently his wheel needed changing.

Instead, the first thing he said was "I can take it back if you want" sarcastically. This is of course led to a slightly heated argument with him. He even told me me that I had attitude by the way I started the conversation. Well, yes I did! So? All he needed to do was say sorry and divert any conflict.

I managed to speak to DPD today who were very good, very apologetic and emailed my complaint to their quality control. I also left the same complaint on their feedback page saying that this driver doesn't know how to speak to customers.

You might tell me I'm being too fussy, or you may agree?

Soldato
Only have yourself to blame for future DPD deliveries that mysteriously go "misssing". It is annoying yes however getting up in arms about it only inconveniences yourself. The driver clearly doesn't care but if your name or address comes up in his deliveries in future you can be sure he will be difficult about it.

Man of Honour
You probably finished off what would have been a very crappy day for him.

This.

You probably weren't the first person to come out with some crappy comment at the end of what has probably been a day of him getting it in the neck from his boss because the perfectly greased machine is now running late, through no fault of his.

Yes he shouldn't have bitten but I've been in similar situations at the end of a very long day and it can become very hard to bite your tongue for the millionth time.

If you don't want to be treated like a penis, don't be a penis in the first place.

Associate
I have to say, I side with the sentiments of the courier driver - I think you 'started it' by sarcastically commenting how late he was. Perhaps if you'd approached it more along the lines of 'Bit of a hold up this afternoon, was there?", then you would be less likely to be met with a sarcastic reply.

If there was a delay, and the previous 40 customers had all made similar sarcastic comments relating to tardyness, I think I'd be just as fed up with it as the driver sounded. That said, the driver probably should have kept his retort to himself, and avoid escalating a somewhat trivial situation.

The whole interaction probably could have been handled better on both sides, really.

Caporegime
I'm sure he would rather have got it to you on time as well. Theres no need to be a dick about it.

Did you stop to consider the possible reasons for his lateness? And then consider the amount of those reasons which are directly his fault?

I'm not surprised he snapped at you.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You basically started it. Did you even say Hello first? Sounds like you were the rude one to me.

I bet he'd had a long horrible day in traffic and all you had to do was mooch around the house for a bit extra.

Soldato
This isn't too bad, but I agree. **** DPD. Mostly, they're fine, but occasionally they are just beyond belief.

I changed my plans recently to wait in all day for a parcel to arrive. I live in an estate that's a bit of a maze, so the guy has my mobile number to call me if (when) he gets lost. Waited in all day, as I say. At 10PM I get an email to say I wasn't in the house...of course I was. Checked the email to see a picture of him at my house. It was a picture of a bush that couldn't even have been in the estate I live in. Their complains team did absolutely nothing, though.

Years ago it happened to me before and they did manage to divert the driver, but I'd guess that this was before they started delivering for Amazon.

Soldato
You were rude to him.

Did you think your comment was going to help things? for me personally as long as I got the package I would not care.

Well I think you're wrong. There's no excuse for someone being sarcastic to a customer when ultimately it's the customers paying their wages.

I do like these kinds of comments, people often love to say I paid therefore that's my excuse for being a dick and treating people like ****.

They say the way someone treats people in the service industry is very often a reflection of their character. I've had bad experiences and never once made comments towards workers.

Last edited:
Soldato
You didn't have to make a sarcy comment, but in fairness, he should have remained professional and I'm sure you were frustrated. Just a rubbish situation for you both really. But it is wise to remember that rudeness provokes rudeness.

Soldato
did you pay to get your parcel delivered in that one hour slot? if not, what are you complaining about?

DPD do you a favor by giving an estimated delivery slot, thing went wrong so it was delayed by an hour and a half.

I feel bad for the driver having to deal with people like you.

Caporegime
There is a parcel which is supposed to be arriving before 6PM from DHL today.

If it arrives a second late, I'm going to open the door and immediately punch the driver in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom