• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

0.5 - 6% of Ryzen 5000 Processors Faulty

Associate
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/amd-ryzen-5000-processor-failures-are-they-really-that-bad

1. "According to PowerGPU, of the 50 5950X CPUs it received, eight were DOA. Out of 50 5900X CPUs, four were DOA.

PowerGPU’s 5800X and 5600X stock also reportedly had high failure rates as well."

2. However PowerGPUs initial tweet on this was deleted, and other retailers have failure rates of c2%:

"Hardware Unboxed asked some ‘major’ PC parts retailers in Australia, and were told the AMD Ryzen 5000 failure rate was below 2% – which is around normal."

Is even 2% normal? I've not encountered too many examples of DOA CPUs on forums before.

3. (edit) Recent Mindfactory.de data show an even lower fault rate for the first 15 days of c0.5% (source via @Zeeflyboy)

4. (edit) PC World have suggested an aggregate failure rate of 2.9% for Ryzen 5000 (source via @humbug)

Last edited:
Soldato
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/amd-ryzen-5000-processor-failures-are-they-really-that-bad

"According to PowerGPU, of the 50 5950X CPUs it received, eight were DOA. Out of 50 5900X CPUs, four were DOA.

PowerGPU’s 5800X and 5600X stock also reportedly had high failure rates as well."

However PowerGPUs initial tweet on this was deleted, and other retailers have failure rates of c2%:

"Hardware Unboxed asked some ‘major’ PC parts retailers in Australia, and were told the AMD Ryzen 5000 failure rate was below 2% – which is around normal."

Is even 2% normal? I've not encountered too many examples of DOA CPUs on7 forums before.
Theres already a thread about this mate

Soldato
powerGPU.com are skint, probably because of the lockdown and the fact that the money in the industry right now is office PC’s not overpriced RGB gaming systems. Clearly they are desperate to drive traffic to the site and what better way than to drive a bit of controversy against AMD.

It’s baseless nonsense.

Associate
OP
Theres already a thread about this mate
There's a thread about crashes we're having, but not one about alleged DOA chips etc is there? Apologies if I'm doubling up.

powerGPU.com are skint, probably because of the lockdown and the fact that the money in the industry right now is office PC’s not overpriced RGB gaming systems. Clearly they are desperate to drive traffic to the site and what better way than to drive a bit of controversy against AMD.

It’s baseless nonsense.

Hmm, that would make a fair bit of sense.

Soldato
There's a thread about crashes we're having, but not one about alleged DOA chips etc is there? Apologies if I'm doubling up.

Hmm, that would make a fair bit of sense.
Think its in the crashes thread mate but could be mistaken though i know i read it somewhere i apologise if im mistaken no doubt dave will be along soon :D theres a link in tbe crashes thread mate

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Think its in the crashes thread mate but could be mistaken though i know i read it somewhere i apologise if im mistaken no doubt dave will be along soon :D
Haha true :) I did actually think about how there's be gloating from one side of the Aisle (Dave in particular) but numbers are numbers.

I think its more to be honest. Ill give them a big side eye before buying one..
For what it's worth, I've had no problems outside of memory and even that was just an overclocking issue; I'd classify myself as a very happy Ryzen 5000 owner.

Still even 2% seems high for DOA chips.

Soldato
Haha true :) I did actually think about how there's be gloating from one side of the Aisle (Dave in particular) but numbers are numbers.

For what it's worth, I've had no problems outside of memory and even that was just an overclocking issue; I'd classify myself as a very happy Ryzen 5000 owner.

Still even 2% seems high for DOA chips.
Yeh 2% is high really but it also depends how many have actually been sold I'm still on a 3700x at moment but building daughter a pc and thinking going intel route to be honest as better value at moment for her needs

Soldato
We would have heard more about this by now. Seems like a hot load of nothing.

It's pretty bold making a thread titled "~2-6% of Ryzen 5000 Processors Faulty" based on one company's experience...

Soldato
Clickbait thread based on clickbait "article" based on deleted tweet that the author didn't feel like standing by :p

Meanwhile everyone willing to give a number and not delete it says it's sub 2% and that's normal.

Man of Honour
Clickbait thread based on clickbait "article" based on deleted tweet that the author didn't feel like standing by :p

Meanwhile everyone willing to give a number and not delete it says it's sub 2% and that's normal.
To be fair, I can't imagine AMD or their suppliers would be very happy with it being public, especially if they were all replaced with no quibble. Sabotaging those relationships seems unwise.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately don't know anyone who has done big purchases of 5000 series CPUs.

From previous experiences of people building big render farms, etc. Intel CPUs have very low failure rate - to the point some setups didn't have a single obviously faulty CPU, some of the first Ryzen lines weren't so good through with a fair few failures especially with the 1700(X) but the 2000 series has been pretty much the same as Intel.

Soldato
it could be a bad batch of CPU as many online pointed out, the fabrication node is the same as Zen 2. X570 boards have been succesfully used with Zen 2 with no reported issues such as this.

Associate
Know two people whove had faulty 5950xs. One wouldn't allow memory to clocker higher then jdec standard despite being 3600mhz and constantly crashed if you enabled any form of pbo, diddnt work with 3 kits of ram and two boards. Same issue. The second died during normal operations (desktop browsing) all default.

My 5900x is rock solid however and clocks well and cool.

Man of Honour
The second died during normal operations (desktop browsing) all default.

Very very rare for a CPU to just die like that - normally they'd be faulty in operation in some way out the box or degrade gradually over time unless you hit them with too much voltage or overheated them etc. that is as true for AMD as Intel.

Back
Top Bottom