£1,000 budget, gaming only, 1440p

Associate
Hi all,

Interesting one for me, I've finally convinced my brother to ditch the PS4 and switch. My issue is I'm the idiot that goes 980ti, 1080 to 1080 ti as an upgrade route so don't know what would be best at the this budget.

In terms of usage:
Gaming only
1440p
No keyboard/mouse required
No monitor required
No windows

From my limited knowledge I was thinking a 1600/X with 16 Gb of 3200 mzh (not sure which give the highest chance of hitting it on Ryzen). Ideally would sqeeze a 1070 in, but can do a 1060 if would give a better balance system. I may well give him my 1080 ti when I upgrade so don't want a weak CPU. Or would an intel route be better at this budget?

In terms of case, something not too expensive, pretty'ish, easy to build in and a see through side panel would be nice. Any builds would be good, he wants to build it for him soon.

Thanks all

Soldato
A 1070Ti build suited more for 1440p - and guaranteed 3200MHz but over budget:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,128.84 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Cheaper build with a 1060 which struggle at high settings with some games at 1440p and 3000MHz memory (not a problem) and a different but quality case:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £993.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
OP
Ok, that's great. Really appreciate it.

I'm going to try and convince him to go the top 1. Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's not good value for money! I am a companies dream!

Anything you would change or you think that's best bang for buck. Looks really good to me.

Soldato
Anything you would change or you think that's best bang for buck. Looks really good to me.
If you can stretch to the 1070Ti then your 1440p gaming experience wiil be far more enjoyable.

Case is personal preference - i personally like the Phantek.

The CPU comes with a quality stock cooler which should clock the CPU to 3.7GHz across all cores and still keep things relatively frosty.

The Palit is not the best quality card out there - but it's present price is a bargain - plus it's a 1070Ti!!!.

The memory you could drop to 3000MHz to save some money - as memory prices are nuts at the moment.

Associate
OP
Couldn't agree more. It's for my bro. Lot more graphics card for your money.

I agree, Phanteks looks a lot nicer. I've got a Phanteks Evolv too, which I've been very pleased with. Just got off the phone to him, he's convinced. We'll name the PC Plec! He's ordering tomorrow. I'll upload a pic once it's done.

Soldato
With 1070ti you could drop to 8GB 2x4 for the time being .... As he's only getting into it and GPU has enough internal ram

On the other hand, if he wants to play FF15 on pc.. hell need 32gb hahaha

Soldato
I agree, Phanteks looks a lot nicer. I've got a Phanteks Evolv too, which I've been very pleased with. Just got off the phone to him, he's convinced. We'll name the PC Plec! He's ordering tomorrow. I'll upload a pic once it's done.
You don't waste anytime - good luck with it.

Associate
OP
No family member of mine is having 8 gb! I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye.

With hardware, I think you're better off buying when you have the need no point in wondering what may happen. Prices go up as well as down!

Low stock is always good to prompt a purchase. Cheers. He's been on consoles for last 10 or so years so be good to bring him back.

Associate
True I'm not interested in 4k myself so I don't tend to take it into account. I would have thought a 550w PSU would be fine but can't speak for the quality of that specific one.

Back
Top Bottom