£1,000 cycle to work scheme at work

Associate
what advantage has that got?
it'll be slow on the roads and naf off them!
also only 1 size left.

I've got a carrera hybrid and i pass "road" bikes all the time, i also have been offroad on my bike and it performs well even without suspension, its not the bike its the rider...i know if i was doing extreme mountian biking i'd need a stronger bike but for normal commute and occasional country rides.. a hybrid will do just fine.

Man of Honour
I've got a carrera hybrid and i pass "road" bikes all the time, i also have been offroad on my bike and it performs well even without suspension, its not the bike its the rider...

Of course it's the rider and even as a beginner I pass every hybrid/MTB I've come across but I know a mate of mine could pull his heaviest MTB out and whip my ass.
I also know that none of the hybrid/MTB riders are racing me and that is a mistake you are making with your 'I pass 'road' bikes' statement.
My mate above used to come in work every day boasting he had just passed x amount of road bikes but we always pointed out that none of them were racing him.

Man of Honour
what advantage has that got?
it'll be slow on the roads and naf off them!
also only 1 size left.
Slow? My average speed on my hybrid is a bit slower (a few km/h) and there is very little in top speed (about the same)
Sure a road bike is faster, especially in more experienced hands, but it's not night and day.

but why ever go for that over a cyclocross?
Because some people just can't get on with drop handlebars for starters.

Soldato
Also factor in what the roads are like. If you are cycling through carpet bombed scorched earth like I am (Dublin) then you'll possibly find yourself more suited to a mountain bike.

I used to ride a full suspension mountain bike with hybrid tyres to work back in England, and boy do I miss it now. At the moment I'm using a Giant Defy 2 racer and whilst it sure is fast - it's twitchy and bone shattering and I spend more time watching bumps and holes in the road than the traffic.

Can't wait until I bring my Kona over.

Associate
Of course it's the rider and even as a beginner I pass every hybrid/MTB I've come across but I know a mate of mine could pull his heaviest MTB out and whip my ass.
I also know that none of the hybrid/MTB riders are racing me and that is a mistake you are making with your 'I pass 'road' bikes' statement.
My mate above used to come in work every day boasting he had just passed x amount of road bikes but we always pointed out that none of them were racing him.

All i was saying was that Hybrid bikes arnt "slow" only a rider is slow. i ride at a quicker pace naturally, i live in sheffield and its all hills, i commute and i "pass" road bikes, not racing them either there just going slower,its not just road bikes its most bikes, but it's harder for them with all the hills, you should by a bike that suits you and the terrain your riding on.

Soldato
I went for a Diamond Back Sortie

diamond.jpg

Value was £1,100, I was lucky enough to have a really good deal though! As it is costing me ziltch! Not even coming out my wages, work are picking up the entire thing and it will be mine in 7 months time completely.

One thing I do regret though, is not going for a road bike, or a hybrid at the very least, I have got more in to distance cycling, and the mountain bike is very tiring!

Man of Honour
All i was saying was that Hybrid bikes arnt "slow" only a rider is slow. i ride at a quicker pace naturally, i live in sheffield and its all hills, i commute and i "pass" road bikes, not racing them either there just going slower,its not just road bikes its most bikes, but it's harder for them with all the hills, you should by a bike that suits you and the terrain your riding on.

but if hybrids were quicker overall we'd see Bradley Wiggins and Lance Armstrong using them so if you are riding on hilly roads you need a road bike.

Soldato
its not just road bikes its most bikes, but it's harder for them with all the hills

if you are riding on hilly roads you need a road bike.

You dont NEED a road bike if you are riding on hilly roads, but it definitely helps. I'm not sure where you get the idea that hybrids are faster on hills? In my experience, road bikes are a lot faster on roads and especially going uphill. Most hybrids are heavier than road bikes and it's the weight that really makes the difference on hills.

Man of Honour
You dont NEED a road bike if you are riding on hilly roads, but it definitely helps. I'm not sure where you get the idea that hybrids are faster on hills? In my experience, road bikes are a lot faster on roads and especially going uphill. Most hybrids are heavier than road bikes and it's the weight that really makes the difference on hills.

You're quoting the wrong person. I definitely know that road bikes are better on roads and road hills than hybrids and mtbs

Associate
OP
I have put forward an extension request for this because our HR Department have had system issues the last 7 days and are incompetent without them it seems. So I am still able to look for the best combo for me. I Currently am loving the idea of having a Mountain bike with a suspension switch and an extra set of 'slimmer' wheels. Also I have spoken with the company and they have said that they would not want the bike and would be happy to sell it me after a year, how much well I still need the HR staff to tell me.. erghh.

So the search is on this weekend and next, I was almost drooling at a bike setup last weekend but it was a tad bit out of the budget.

Soldato
He could always order a bike at £1k when has actually getting a £600 bike and £400 set of wheels.

If hmrc ask where the bike is...it got stolen? Replaced with current bike. Win win.

Caporegime
He could always order a bike at £1k when has actually getting a £600 bike and £400 set of wheels.

If hmrc ask where the bike is...it got stolen? Replaced with current bike. Win win.

Wheels aren't an approved accessory, that's all there is to it. The retailer will have to report what they're giving to the "purchaser" in exchange for the voucher, given that they will have to lodge a claim with the cycle scheme people for the cash value of that voucher, and the cycle scheme people aren't going to give up the cash for just anything. At that point you're then looking for the retailer to commit fraud on your behalf - good luck with that.

Back
Top Bottom