1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 £3,000 door

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Maccapacca, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Maccapacca

Don

Also don't forget the developer is making very likely 30% so the cost to the customer is cost plus 40%. Margin based on cost vs margin based on value.

2. koolpc

Capodecina

No value just MDF rubbish

3. OracIe

Wise Guy

Thats an expensive door...does it do anything else, other than open and close?!?

4. Maccapacca

Don

Unfortunately it does less than that. You have to open and close it yourself.

5. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

The thing is though, seeing it's all CNC machined, it's no "craftsmanship" really, and the entire point of CNC machine is to increase production volume and raise consistency. The return should mean a high quality product at what would be a lower price point.

6. Maccapacca

Don

Theoretically correct however the cnc machine is £700k plus the running cost, maintenance, a roof, insurance, training, loading and a cad monkey.

7. koolpc

Capodecina

If it was a veneered cornflakes box the stupidly rich would buy it!!!

8. MatteH Oxford

Wise Guy

I'm only a two man band + subbies, it would probably take me a whole year to do them all with my current setup but it could be done far cheaper by just about anyone with a joiners shop. The hardest thing is to source that much timber, I struggled with the few I had to do here, not even a dozen doors worth.

Besides, I'm busy for at least the next 18 months.

Not to say that I would be disinterested as I reckon I could probably up my income by at least 30%, I think I might get a little bored of making doors though.
    I'll have a word with my partner as I may have to renege on a contract or two, I really do not want to do that as my business is nearly 100% word of mouth recommendations and I would like to keep my current reputation intact.

If all is O.K. and I can up the manpower, would sapele be sufficient over mahogany?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  9. Mr Joshua

Mobster

I think the fact that they're barely touched by human hands during construction would be the most galling part considering the price tag. I'd much rather have doors handmade with the inconsistencies that go with that process.

10. gradyhawks

Wise Guy

Yeah ... not really sold on these.

11. koolpc

Capodecina

Hand made is much more personal and unique.

12. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

You would need all the above like roof, insurance, tools with a handmade door anyway, with higher material costs, longer lead time, more craftsman than a single CAD monkey. The only difference is the investment in the CNC machine, which by raising production volume should really offset that and drive the costs down because you will be fulfilling a lot more orders.

Take guitar making, CNC machines has meant you can now get a £500 real wood guitar made to the smallest tolerance, much more consistent but they are less desirable than a luthier handmade one.

Human beings likes unique well made, handmade objects, machine made objects is less desirable.

And it comes down to the white elephant in the room, it's still veneer on MDF.

13. Shimmyhill

Mobster

You are of course aware that means its wood on wood?

As for your 'what it will look like in a decade' comment, It will look the same except unlike a hardwood door it will still open and close ;)

The OP has done a number on this one, you couldn't get the same door made in solid wood as it would never meet there required acoustic and fire protection so its a mute point but some of the comments in the thread are hilarious - made for some fun reading!

14. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I didn't say a decade, I said 100 years.

As for I know it's wood on wood, well, it's wood on wood powder mixed in a lot of glue.

I am aware of the requirement for fire regs (I have an architecture degree FYI and spent 3 years in practice). I struggle to believe that there are no doors in existence that can meet the same acoustic and fire requirements and U values under £3k.

15. SDK^

Capodecina

I prefer my composite door, which also has a solid timber core.

16. spoffle

Capodecina

Wood?! You'd be wanting bomb proof metal for that money.

17. Shimmyhill

Mobster

There will be plenty, none of them solid wood so will still be veneer based...

18. koolpc

Capodecina

I would rather a door made out of Lego!!

19. jak731

Soldato

The grain in the inlay doesn't totally doesn't match the veneer, send it back!

20. Kiyoshi

Wise Guy

£3,000... for MDF... I don't even...