1/48 Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C, No 801 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Hermes, 1969.

Soldato
The Blackburn Buccaneer is a British carrier-borne attack aircraft designed in the 1950s for the Royal Navy (RN). Designed and initially produced by Blackburn Aircraft at Brough, it was later officially known as the Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer when Blackburn became a part of the Hawker Siddeley Group, but this name is rarely used.

The Buccaneer was originally designed in response to the Soviet Union's Sverdlov-class cruiser construction programme. Instead of building a new fleet of its own, the Royal Navy could use the Buccaneer to attack these ships by approaching at low altitudes below the ship's radar horizon. The Buccaneer could attack using a nuclear bomb, or conventional weapons. It was later intended to carry short-range anti-shipping missiles to improve its survivability against more modern ship-based anti-aircraft weapons.

The Buccaneer entered Royal Naval service in 1962. The initial production aircraft suffered a series of accidents due to insufficient engine power, which was quickly addressed in the Buccaneer S.2, equipped with more powerful Rolls-Royce Spey jet engines. The Buccaneer was also offered as an entrant into a new Royal Air Force (RAF) contest for a new attack aircraft. It was initially rejected in favour of the much more advanced supersonic BAC TSR-2, but the cost of the TSR-2 programme led to its cancellation, only to be followed by the cancellation of its selected replacement, the General Dynamics F-111K. The Buccaneer was finally purchased by the RAF, entering service in 1969.

The Royal Navy retired the last of its large aircraft carriers in 1978, moving their strike role to the British Aerospace Sea Harrier, and passing their Buccaneers to the RAF. After a crash in 1980 revealed metal fatigue problems, the RAF fleet was reduced to 60 aircraft, while the rest were scrapped. The ending of the Cold War led to a reduction in strength of the RAF, and the accelerated retirement of the remaining fleet, with the last Buccaneers in RAF service being retired in 1994; in favour of the Panavia Tornado. The South African Air Force (SAAF) also procured the type. Buccaneers saw combat action in the first Gulf War of 1991, and the South African Border War.

• Kit Manufacture: Airfix
  • Kit Number: A12012
  • Scale : 1/48
  • Type: Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C
  • Paints: Mr surfacer white as primer, MRP, Mr Color and AK Xtreme metals.
  • Weathering: Flory dark dirt and AK landing gear effects.

ipXoZj2.jpg

ghwPqpQ.jpg

Jn4t2JY.jpg

120he72.jpg

6HT9jQV.jpg

YVojlop.jpg

ObiyuqF.jpg

JXuK8EV.jpg

VP5HJC9.jpg

0w1x8Pr.jpg

YRJzIXi.jpg

bQ7wSlX.jpg

j6hCj0v.jpg

XDu0QfY.jpg

tePvr5b.jpg

JK1Nqb4.jpg

G4NAHrF.jpg

An aircraft from back when we had style. Love the Bucc. The rotating bomb bay is truly a thing of wonder.

Heard stories from crew about it being so stable at low level over water that it was hands off the stick at 20ft as it rode a pressure wave. Took some massive brass ones to try that...

Sadly, another one where we have non currently airworthy. 3 live in South Africa, former Thunder City airframes, and one being apparently restored to airworthy by Hunter Aviation in the UK, but it's been like that for years with no apparent progress.

Last edited:
An aircraft from back when we had style. Love the Bucc. The rotating bomb bay is truly a thing of wonder.

Heard stories from crew about it being so stable at low level over water that it was hands off the stick at 20ft as it rode a pressure wave. Took some massive brass ones to try that...

Sadly, another one where we have non currently airworthy. 3 live in South Africa, former Thunder City airframes, and one being apparently restored to airworthy by Hunter Aviation in the UK, but it's been like that for years with no apparent progress.

There used to be 3 buccs at Bruntingthorpe that did fast taxi runs. They have now moved to the Cotswolds airport (formerly RAF Kemble).

Here are some photos I took at Bruntingthorpe cold war jets day in august 2019.

q6fGujG.jpg
e2GbSSY.jpg
oYnuRH7.jpg
aGXdF3T.jpg
wn95sJC.jpg
1DMUw6I.jpg
uXMN4fc.jpg
H469HP7.jpg
KG9GplN.jpg
2S0CZa2.jpg
3O3ZyAO.jpg
MijmAcP.jpg
ndnesXI.jpg
Jn5fzuA.jpg
eLKyJuE.jpg
7znh5gk.jpg
j8jjdgR.jpg
HmpA5B6.jpg
kuTMz0J.jpg
KEk4RVw.jpg
g8bRhTF.jpg
6PnCfUA.jpg
kzfDxpk.jpg
5ggeSjQ.jpg
a2WnS2T.jpg
2jTFkJ8.jpg
H5LcXZe.jpg
0xcnk0u.jpg
9tyzEEJ.jpg
owpjweC.jpg
gn5CELP.jpg
YP2c9ta.jpg
UXXbp4y.jpg
CQ0CNP6.jpg
H2mM5Pr.jpg
8kERHT7.jpg

The Blackburn Buccaneer is a British carrier-borne attack aircraft designed in the 1950s for the Royal Navy (RN).

That's a lovely model and your pictures are gorgeous. A friend used to fly them. I should note that as it has its wheels down it is operating at higher than normal altitude. :)

WOW ... extreme reaction to someone saying is that enough pics LOL, near wore out scroll wheel on my mouse going through them, but love your choice of aircraft, its very similar to mine!

I guess you satisfied him :)

Is this the new 1/48 Airfix Bucc? I have one on order awaiting the new 1/24 Spit before shipping, but have a couple of the older kits too, built the older 1/48 Buccaneer once and it was not an easy build but was pleased with it.

Live beside RAF Lossiemouth and was at Friends and Family Buccaneer farewell day here, and once the jets were scrapped locally (mostly) me and my mate bought Bucc Martin Baker ejection seats for just £15 each ... I kid you not.

I love the Buccaneers still too Plas, brilliant build.

Just down from where I live, about 5 mins walk lived a surviving RAF Lossimouth Buccaneer at our petrol station, this vid is about its removal upon new garage ownership.

Three planes on there are my all time favourites - It was hard for number one but for asthetics the HP Victor has the looks.

For sheer noise it's the Vulcan.

For looks and speed the Lightning.

Perhaps two pics at most for each plane - I had to buy a new mouse as scroll broke. :D

Back
Top Bottom