£1,500 to spend.. Please check my basket

tnx

tnx

Associate
Been asked to put a system together for a mate of my sons.
Has a budget of around £1,500.
He has the OS, keyboard,mouse etc. Using his TV as a monitor as far as I know.

Here's my basket
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,564.80 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

I recently put together a Corsair RGB case for my son and his mate likes it. But his budget wont quite stretch as yet. So I picked a nice looking case which would look good fully RGB. Adding the Corsair fans and controllers at a later date would work really well.

I would suggest to him to hang fire for the Z390 boards too.

Would a 1070 play top end games ?

Associate
Will he be overclocking it? I'm just thinking if you are building it then he may not know how to overclock and could go with a 8700 non-k.

Also that PSU is overkill for a 1070, i think one of these would be ample:

Total: £358.66 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

The corsair H100i is only £15 more and its a 240mm Rad

With regards to the 1070, it will play all the latest games at 1080p and 1440p @60hz

As BriT said, new Intel CPU's coming out next month and i think the 2070 too, may be worth waiting for them.

Also...i think an AMD 2700x build may be slightly cheaper and may allow for a GPU upgrade with out sacrificing much CPU performance.

Soldato
Similar spec but with better motherboard, cooler and a GTX 1080. Swapped the psu for a 550W which is enough and a cheaper but still good SSD.

The case only has a single fan pre-installed so you would need to get 1 or 2 more for front airflow.

As mentioned above though the Z390 chipset and new cpu's are supposedly due out week 40 2018 if they haven't been delayed. Not sure if @orbitalwalsh has any more info on that.

Total: £1,530.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
You don't think it's worth to wait for the 9700k? I've seen the 8700k for £303 in one reputable place right now ;)

If you've got deep wallet :) speed might be faster hopefully due to being soldered and not needing a small river to cool it.. but the cost will be high due to demand and limited stock . Specially if they are short on 8700k/8700, 8700 non k isn't being phased out aswell

Last edited:
Associate
If you've got deep wallet :) speed might be faster hopefully due to being soldered and not needing a small river to cool it.. but the cost will be high due to demand and limited stock . Specially if they are short on 8700k/8700, 8700 non k isn't being phased out aswell

Lol. You just convinced me and it's not even my thread :p
Just bought a 8700k :S

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
The lad is meant to be ordering next Wednesday to be delivered on Friday.
Will take all points on board and point him in the right direction.
Got a feeling he doesn't want to wait. That's up to him.

One thing though. If it comes off, he says I can have his old bits.

Asus Z97 Pro Game, i5 chip and 8 gig of RAM.

Like a true Yorkshire man, out for nowt..

Thanks again for the input guys...

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
One thing I forgot to add..

My son and his mate were talking. My son has an Asus 1080 and is seriously considering splashing out on a 2080ti, depending on reviews and the like.
So he offered his 1080 to his mate for £350 if he does indeed upgrade.

The lad is going to take him up on this offer so he is going to hold out on buying a GPU and wait to see what my son does.

Does £350 seem like a good deal for a two year old Asus 1080 ?

Soldato
Seems fair enough if it's a Strix version too.
Just have to make sure he's happy with only a year warranty and your son is able.to sort out RMA if anything goes wrong etc .

It's about 30% less powerful then 1080ti and great for 1440p/1080p 100hz gaming. Of trying to push 4k then doesn't have the legs for it really .

If your son's anywhere near Birmingham , tell him to pop into EGX 2018. Vendors will have 2080ti on display and to play since NDA is day before 19th

Associate
350 for a 2 year old 1080 is pretty steep for mates rates. It's about the going rate on ebay. I just paid that for a 3 month old gigabyte windforce oc on here.

Does he need a 750W? I have a 1080 and an antec 550w true power classic runs it fine

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Let's talk PSU..

Would a 550w run a 2080 ok or is more juice needed ?

Then there's the next, next gen GPU's. I wouldn't like to advise him to buy a certain PSU only to tell him he has to buy another one not too far down the road.

My feeling was a 750w would easily last, say four years no matter what he threw at it. Better to have more than not enough.
I say four years cause I think that's how long he's had this one.

My sons 1080 is an Asus Strix. The lad seemes quite happy to pay £350.

Birmingham ,EGX 2018. I will tell him this info. We live probably 2.5 hours from there. He could gather his mates and take a trip down.

Soldato
all reviews should go live the day before , i know OCUK is there (@Gibbo) and believe they have their own stand with a few vendors supporting . asus, gigabyte and msi should be there etc . would expect systems to be on full display and be able to get hands on :)

650w should cover 2080 as a middle ground, nvidia have listed 550w will do the job but no idea with any overclocking etc etc

we tend to state Formula model here as lowest price tier 2 unit thats good for its price , so could look at 750w version or antec earthwatt 650 as the middle ground

if your son get shift 1080 for £350 then should help fund 2080ti :D seems that has a good jump in specs but at a big price tag!

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Lets talk chips...

I picked the K version because it can be overclocked. The lad has read and heard about overclocking but has never actually done it. If he gets a K he might have a dabble. If he doesn't get the K he wont be able to.
I will leave that up to him.

I will look at he state of play next Tuesday and see what deals there are to be had.

I will try to get him to hold out just a bit longer for the new chips and boards.
If it were me I would hate to buy new bits knowing there are sort of old before I even bought them.

He's been managing with his old stuff, a few more weeks wont hurt....

Got a feeling too my son is going to upgrade from Z170, i7 6700K too. Once the new stuff is out.

I GET HIS CPU....Hurrah for me....

Back
Top Bottom