1 month and 4000 miles with the Octavia VRS

Man of Honour
Hi guys some of you may remember i bought an 03 octavia vrs instead of an st220 which i wanted for over a year! well i've put a fair few miles on the vrs now so just thought id drop in and do a mini write up..

Whats been done so far..

Purchase car - £2400 with 117k miles
Mot - £40
Tax - £118

Remaped by More-BHP to 212 BHP - £225
Change oil + filter - £50
Spark plugs - £30
Pipercross panel filter - £35
Polen filter - £10
Front discs - £25 each
2x Front Arm bushes - £16
4x Continental Sport contact 2 tyres - £100

Averaging 29 mpg but that is booting it everytime i get the opportunity

Still need to refurb alloys which will cost about £120 just need to find time...

All in all, liking the car a lot, not fallen in love with it and probably wont, but the remap made a massive difference its now keeping up with new shape golf gti's and focus st225's easily..

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Part worn tyres? isnt that like buying a part eaten loaf of bread?

No.

I got 2 michelin energy tyres (15/60/195) with 7mm, no punctures for £40 inc fitting.
They cost £65 each new.

Part worn tyres can be bargains if you buy carefully, and they lower the cost of running a car considerably.

Permabanned
I got them from a used tyre guy on ebay, and drove to see them and they checked out OK, with no bulges, no puctures etc.
Im assuming they came off a nearly new accident damaged vehicle or something. 95% of the stuff for sale is too old so rubber has cracked, worn, punctured etc, so you need to buy carefully.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
No.

I got 2 michelin energy tyres (15/60/195) with 7mm, no punctures for £40 inc fitting.
They cost £65 each new.

Part worn tyres can be bargains if you buy carefully, and they lower the cost of running a car considerably.

i don't think it's really worth getting part worn tyres for the sake of a £30 saving.
you said you bought carefully, but how do you know where the tyres came from?

i can understand DannyW doing it, as he's cheap, but he bought tyres which are quite expensive new

Man of Honour
OP
haha im cheap lol :D

not really i just know how to save money and spend it sensibly. who cares where the tyre has come from, i saw the 4 tyres before he fitted them, they had'nt been repaired and no cracks or kerb protection damage.

anyway.. no point starting an arguement about part worns i know what im doing

Soldato
212? I thought these 1.8t's all chipped up to 250-260+ !?

250 - 260 on a Stage1 remap?
Highly unlikely.
I'm sure there are plenty of places claiming - but I doubt you could find anyone to deliver.

The MkII starts ar 200bhp and you're average Stage1 will only give you around 20-25% at best.

Man of Honour
I would understand part worns a lot more if I understood where they come from. I have no issue with cheap/used/whatever things if I can understand and agree with the rationale behind them becoming available for sale. I bought somebody elses cast off car for example because I was satisfied he was bored with it/wanted a new one and not because, for example, he had recently stolen it, comitted an armed robbery in it or done some sort of hidden damage.

Sometimes you get part worn tyres when you buy a set of used alloys. Not an issue - the tyres are part worn simply because they came with your wheels.

But what I don't get is where this source of 4-7mm tread tyres is. A lot of them come from the Continent where they change their tyres sooner than us for safety reasons. Err hang on, why would you want cast-offs the Germans considered too dangerous?

Some come from accident damaged cars. But you never saw the accident, you've no idea the forces the tyre was or was not subjected to. You've no idea if they've been weakened.

The rest? Where are they from? Who are these people dispensing with 4 perfectly good 7mm of tread Contisport Contacts and why?

Man of Honour
OP
yeh you have a point fox, but until they give me a problem i will keep using them, if one was ever to blow out on the motorway ect and it was proven to be because the tyre is from a hot country or previous accident then i would never buy part worn agen.

Associate
if you have a blow out on the motorway, you may well never buy tyres again. killed a 3 out of 4 people in a car i know. some years ago now. Cars are safer etc, and its a lots less likely since inner tubes gone. but still fox has a point.

Kudos on the vrs had mine for 1 and 1/4 and think its great and the boot is huge! (do wish the boot was 3" smaller and given it as rear leg room tho)

Last edited:
Caporegime
250 - 260 on a Stage1 remap?
Highly unlikely.
I'm sure there are plenty of places claiming - but I doubt you could find anyone to deliver.

The MkII starts ar 200bhp and you're average Stage1 will only give you around 20-25% at best.

On a 225bhp 1.8t I don't agree remember that's a peak power figure, besides you think 240 - 250 bhp is possible, that's in the ballpark you argued couldn't be done.

With a catback / forge / 225bhp 1.8t you should get around 250 - 260 afterall it's only a 25 - 35bhp gain, hardly a shed load.

On a ko3s engined 1.8t I've seen dyno plots from a stage 1 map giving 230bhp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom