10 Year old PSU?

Associate
So I just saw on another thread someones old PSU killed their graphics card... got me thinking I am currently running a Coolermaster RealPower 850W Modular PSU, which is going to be exactly a decade old next month!!

I recently bought a 1080ti which seems to be running fine and have ordered a new mobo yesterday, my question is, should I be worried about my old PSU damaging any of my new upgrades?
Should I swap it out with a new one or are PSU reliable enough to leave it alone since it has not shown any issues yet.

If I did have to swap it out whats the equivalent to the one mentioned above in this day and age? Bear in mind my current one is 10 years old and still going strong!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the same PSU (eight years old) and have no qualms using it with a 1070, 24Gb ram, 7 HDD's, 1 DVD, 9 LED fans, pump and an overclocked Xeon 5650 12 thread CPU.

It has protection circuitry built in to avoid taking out other components if it blows.

Mine has been in use daily (barring holidays) on overclocked systems and has never missed a beat.

These PSU's are built like battle tanks IMO.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reassurance!
I think I will keep it till it dies. The first 5 years I used my PC daily, leaving it on 24/7 at times, OC'd and even SLI'd cards at some point. But then I got married... the PC use drastically went down as a result!
Recently got back to it, wish I had looked at upgrading last year though could have done a full overhaul for half the price and that would most likely have kept me going for another good few years.
Mobo is arriving soon, now need to keep an eye out for some RAM and Ryzen deals, maybe an M2 drive also.

Last edited:
Associate
I have one in my work rig although slightly lower wattage that is a few weeks away from 9 years service. It’s never let me down yet (touch wood) it’s been used daily except for holidays.

Man of Honour
I had the same PSU, also 10 years old. Was fine until I picked up a 1080Ti. Fine for a while, then card would occasionally go 100% fan and computer would restart (or often wouldn't). First one we thought it was the GPU, but when it also happened with the replacement I changed the PSU and all was fine. The PSU didn't damage the card though, the 1080Ti has build in protection mechanisms - it is, however, clearly sensitive to voltage drops in a way that my previous AMD card wasn't (that interestingly demanded much more power!).

Don
After 10 years, regardless of it being a quality unit or not, then surely you've got value for money from it.
Capacitors and other components within the PSU degrade over time, so may not be offering the same protection that it did when new.

For the sake of another £90-£100 you should be able to have another 10 years flawless service (£10/year isn't much to protect £££ worth of hardware):
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £203.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Back
Top Bottom