£1000 bike ideas

Soldato
I had my old Giant AC1 stolen a few weeks back so now i'm in the market for a new bike. Got around a grand to spend and am looking for something like a spec stumpjumper comp. Going for weight and speed really. Any ideas?

Soldato
crashuk said:
dont see the point had 2 bikes stolen, now looking 4 a £100 bike.
tbh, unless your going to be doing any serious biking, £100 is ok, but Mulder 'ere had his AC1 for downhilling in the Morzine, which would kill a £100 bike ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
tbh, unless your going to be doing any serious biking, £100 is ok, but Mulder 'ere had his AC1 for downhilling in the Morzine, which would kill a £100 bike ;).

It certainly would ;)

Sorry I haven't tended to this thread, I've been offline for a few days. Anyway, I decided to up my budget to around £1500 and went to a local action bikes and evans to do a few test rides. This is what I think of the bikes I rode:

Speccy Stumpy HT 06 - Felt very strange to ride such a rigid beast after having ridden nothing else but a full bouncer for 2 years. I didn't like it.

Speccy Epic Comp 06 - Felt exactly the same as the stumpy. There was nothing different about it at all. I took it off a few kerbs and just couldn't engage the brain at all.

Kona Dawg Primo 2006 - Nicer, was a lot less stiff at the front (and the back :p ) and generally made for a nice ride. I'm not a fan of HFX9's anymore though.

Then I thought I'd take out an Enduro 06, just to get a feel for it. What a bike! It's light yet has a load of bounce so you can throw it around a fair bit. The sus felt very efficient, especially for a 6" rear travel bike. The Avid's felt great, even though it was a brand new bike and they wouldn't have bedded in yet. So, I bought it. :D Picking it up on Monday.

Here's a pic of one for those not in the know.

pbpic8333469sn.jpg

Soldato
Nice bike mate,seen a few of them today at glentress.Pedalling past us on the fire road :rolleyes:

Not my sort of thing but i bet it would take a fair beating before it would give in.

Back
Top Bottom