£1000 to spend on mountain bike

Associate
Hey all, just got my £1000 ride2work voucher through work, which must be spent at Evans. Sooooo, I'm wanting a mountain bike basically, what should I get?

My last mountain bike was for my 16th birthday (over 15 years ago!) so I'm pretty out of the loop on what's currently hot. I did buy a cyclocross bike (Voodoo Limba) a few years ago through the cycle2work scheme when it had to Halfords, and have some MTB SPD trainers already and gloves/helmet/shorts etc. so dont need those. I would like a baby seat/carrier though, so need some cash left over to buy one of those.

Any recommendations or advice on what I should be looking for/avoiding would be great!

Caporegime
That charge looks horrible.

Cardinham is my local spot, you don't need anything special to run on it either (it's not technical at all :( ). But that seems a LOT of money for what you're getting.

The On One is available and they accecpt c2w vouchers IIRC.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BDEO/on-one-45650b-shimano-deore-mountain-bike

They also have a 26"er, but I'd go 650B not really any difference but it's pretty much the new standard.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Any comments on the BMC TE03 from last year I linked to above as a potential bargain? Anyting better I could get? Really want to make sure I'm getting something decent for my money and not missing something better. Cheers.

Caporegime
Seems not a lot of front travel for £1000 really.

Never worth a £1000, imo, never mind £1500. Infact I've no idea how they even sold at £1500.

Caporegime
Oh ok, is 100mm not a lot of travel then? How much should I be looking for? Any recommendations from Evans site instead of what I've found?

My internet is dreadfully slow.

For Cardinham it's going to be fine really, but if you get interested in the sport you'll start wanting more.

Specs wise, Shimano anyway. It's Deore>Slx>XT/Zee

Slx stuff is good enough, as is Deore to be quite honest. Most of the stuff I seen at that price range look as good as each other and nothing with anything more than 100m worth of travel.

Associate
OP
Ordered the Scott Scale 960 yesterday. Had a look in store at that and the Spesh Rockhoper pro, and wasnt too keen on the SRAM shifters, so went for the Scott. Pick it up this week hopefully, cant wait! Going to be a little different to my 16yo Ridgeback! Used the promo code too to get an extra £75 off :D

Back
Top Bottom