£1000+ video editor - parts list complete - please review

Soldato
He also chose a Ryzen 5 instead of the 2700x which I didn't understand, since everyone says that more cores = faster renders.
I definitely want to get as much bang for my buck as possible. Hence the indecision between 3700x and 3900x.

In my experience of Video Editing (Which was a fair amount a few years ago, not that much these days) the main Component is the CPU & you are right about more cores. So I'd buy the fastest CPU with the most cores I can afford. Keep an eye on the 2nd hand sites as the Ryzen 9 3950x is due out later this week & ' the early adopters' will be flogging off their 3900x's so you might get a bargain. Personally I can't see anything wrong with the 2700x as it was AMD's top AM4 CPU 6 months ago & the price of it now new just beggars belief.

AM4 still has one more Generation still to go if internet rumours are anything to go by, so if you need more power just wait another few months & pop in a newer CPU.

Soldato
Yep. look there. There's the OCUK Forums members market too, but you need to be on here for a little while & post frequently to get access.

My spec:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £974.98 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Much better PSU
Mvme SSD for the OS & the Video editing software, Sata SSD for the original files & for the end result (I would prefer an old HDD for that due to wear life for SSD's)
Better Case for Airflow (check Gamers Nexus on youtube for case reviews)
2060 for what was left of the budget & its Cuda cores, most video editing apps use that these days.

Associate
OP
I could be wrong, but I'm beginning to think that the 2700x is more than good enough for my needs. If the 3900x (theoretically) renders one of my videos in 5 minutes, the 2700x should be able to do it in 8, and I don't think I want to fork out an extra £350 just for that. Once I get to finally see real numbers, I'll know whether or not I made the right choice in going for or holding back on the more expensive cpu.

Considering how the prices are almost the same, why a sata ssd instead of another nvme? If I'm not worried about the wear life, any reason not to get a 2nd nvme?

Honestly getting very confused as to whether I need a good graphics card or not even if I don't use Resolve. I was suspecting that even £220 for the 1660 super is too much, but now I have no clue. I'll be sticking with that if I'm still unsure when I finally order everything.

Caporegime
I could be wrong, but I'm beginning to think that the 2700x is more than good enough for my needs. If the 3900x (theoretically) renders one of my videos in 5 minutes, the 2700x should be able to do it in 8, and I don't think I want to fork out an extra £350 just for that. Once I get to finally see real numbers, I'll know whether or not I made the right choice in going for or holding back on the more expensive cpu.

Considering how the prices are almost the same, why a sata ssd instead of another nvme? If I'm not worried about the wear life, any reason not to get a 2nd nvme?

Honestly getting very confused as to whether I need a good graphics card or not even if I don't use Resolve. I was suspecting that even £220 for the 1660 super is too much, but now I have no clue. I'll be sticking with that if I'm still unsure when I finally order everything.

Why buy 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive= £179.99....?

Save some money and buy cheaper drives and poor the money into the cpu....

£359 for 2 x NVME? why?

why not buy 2 x 1TB ssd for £160 and and point the £200 towards a 3900x ?

Caporegime
Associate
OP
Intel 660p 1TB nvme for £90. Guessing I can't post links.

I think the final question really is simply - is it worth the extra £350 for the 3900x because everything else will stay the same. I might ditch an nvme drive if I go that route. Thats still £260 extra.

Caporegime
Intel 660p 1TB nvme for £90. Guessing I can't post links.

I think the final question really is simply - is it worth the extra £350 for the 3900x because everything else will stay the same. I might ditch an nvme drive if I go that route. Thats still £260 extra.

You can always add more storage....The cpu is the base of any build....

Soldato
I couldn’t bring myself to spend £1000 on a 2700x system

Also why spec a 2060 when he doesn’t need RTX ?

your spec is poor advice

Like I said earlier, I've out of the Video editing loop for a while & turned to the internet for specs. There's conflicting advice on what to buy out there but that (I think) depends on what video editing software is being used. In fact last time I edited any video was for my sisters 50th birthday earlier this year when I found my dad's old video camera still worked (Battery was dead but it still worked on the mains)

I bought a firewire PCI card off the auction site and set about editing the footage He & I took of her Sons when they were babies. Editing 480p DV footage was no strain for the dual core Haswell PC I still had earlier this year, because it was running Linux I decided to try video editing on that. Big Mistake. Video editing Software on Linux isnt stable in my experience. :( Got there in the end though.

I do like your spec but I would be wary of putting a 3900x in a Tomahawk max (I bought that board with encoding in mind as I encode MKV's to .mp4 from time to time) Unless there's good airflow around the VRM's the 3900x would probably throttle under load.

& you're right about the GC. I could've specced a lower card & upped the CPU.

Associate
OP
I think I'll stick with the ASUS TUF. Should be a good fit for the 3900x (if I go for it) plus can't really see a reason to swap it out for an aorus elite.

While I'm still not sure, I am currently bidding on a used 3900x lol. Lets see what happens...

Caporegime

Its better but I would get a beefier PSU

The case is fine as I own it :)

Why is the 1660 £229.99 in your build when my 1660 is £199?

I would still pay the extra for the 3900x

As for the B450 Tomohawk....Is fine for a 3700x so if buying one why get x570?

There is a mis match there.....If you wanted to save some money get the MSI B450 Pro Carbon and flash the bios...That will house a 3900x just fine....Its been tested and the 3900x did not throttle.....

If going 3700x go B450 if going 3900x go X570 or go for a B450 mobo like the Pro carbon is money is tight...

Man of Honour
cheaper mobo (do you really need x570?)
32gb ram
1tb nvme ssd
2tb storage drive
cheaper case (slightly less sturdy than the phanteks but better air flow)
aftermarket cpu cooler for maintaining clocks during extended renders

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,082.03 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Man of Honour
Its better but I would get a beefier PSU
i can't help but think that advice isn't quite correct though? :)

for a 3700x + 1660s build, max power draw =
90w (CPU) + 140w (GPU) + 40w (components) = 270w

550w is more than sufficient
heck it's even in the fabled 40-60% efficiency zone that random people like to make up lol

Back
Top Bottom