£1000+ video editor - parts list complete - please review

Caporegime
i can't help but think that advice isn't quite correct though? :)

for a 3700x + 1660s build, max power draw =
90w (CPU) + 140w (GPU) + 40w (components) = 270w

550w is more than sufficient
heck it's even in the fabled 40-60% efficiency zone that random people like to make up lol

I always over spec the PSU....allowing for upgrades in the future....

Caporegime
cheaper mobo (do you really need x570?)
32gb ram
1tb nvme ssd
2tb storage drive
cheaper case (slightly less sturdy than the phanteks but better air flow)
aftermarket cpu cooler for maintaining clocks during extended renders

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,082.03 (includes shipping: £13.20)

I honestly dont think a mechanical HDD is needed....

Man of Honour
I always over spec the PSU....allowing for upgrades in the future....
overspeccing is a bit pointless if there is no intention of upgrading.
the vast majority of people who sign up here to get a one-off build advice probably never upgrade though...really
so a bit of a waste of money.

and even then, 550w can handle a 2080 super + 3700x easily
90w + 280w + 40w = 410w
which is only 75% load when the cpu and gpu running full loads

Caporegime
overspeccing is a bit pointless if there is no intention of upgrading.
the vast majority of people who sign up here to get a one-off build advice probably never upgrade though...really
so a bit of a waste of money.

and even then, 550w can handle a 2080 super + 3700x easily
90w + 280w + 40w = 410w
which is only 75% load when the cpu and gpu running full loads

I'd ditch the mechanical drive and put that 50 toward a beefier PSU....You never know....Having the option to upgrade to down the line makes sense...I'm not talking hundreds extra here....:p

Caporegime
presumably you store all your encoding outputs there, and not on the ssd?

I have three dives in my main RIG

1 x OS and apps
1 x for editing
1 x for output

I then copy from my main rig the finished project to a SSD landing zone in my Primary server then this is then auto copied to my 20TB Storage Pool.....The back up server (2nd server) spots any changes and mirrors the primary server.

The backup server is then backed up to the cloud.

Man of Honour
I then copy from my main rig the finished project to a SSD landing zone in my Primary server then this is then auto copied to my 20TB Storage Pool.....The back up server (2nd server) spots any changes and mirrors the primary server.
all video encoders worth their salt will have one ;)
(but then every encoder worth their salt would have redundant storage to begin with :p

my points exactly, you have mechanical storage of some sort for the encoding outputs - op hasn't stated whether he does (or doesn't) - hence why i've specced in a token 2tb hdd
(and neither has he stated whether he has redundancy tbf)

if not needed, it's automatically £50 saved

Caporegime
my points exactly, you have mechanical storage of some sort for the encoding outputs - op hasn't stated whether he does (or doesn't)
(and neither has he stated whether he has redundancy tbf)

I render out to an SSD in my main rig...Then copy this to storage pool....This could be an External HDD if the OP wanted....

My editing rig does not have any mechanical HDDs in it....My 1000 w psu fan does not spin....I like quiet :D

Caporegime
external or not, it's still mechanical storage, which is my point :)

pretty sure that the cpu/gpu cooler or case fans would be louder than a psu fan running at normal speeds ;)
especially with the restrictive air flow of the p400 lol

I use a 280mm AIO with four fans on it Pull push config pretty much running on silent mode....

If a fan is not spinning its not making noise....

Pretty pleased with the Phanteks case for the money....Houses a 280MM AIO with 4 fans front and back of the radiator very nicely. :)

Man of Honour
I use a 280mm AIO with four fans on it Pull push config pretty much running on silent mode....
If a fan is not spinning its not making noise....
Pretty pleased with the Phanteks case for the money....Houses a 280MM AIO with 4 fans front and back of the radiator very nicely. :)

true, you have yourself a very nice and expensive rig there...so it's a bit unfair to compare it to a £1k budget rig.
a stock p400 wouldn't perform as good as a p400 with aftermarket fans and cooling
if a p400 is wanted, probably get the p400A instead. there's a reason phanteks make them now :D

Went with X570 because I don't know right now if Video editing hardware and software will take advantage of the PCI-e 4 Bandwidth at some point in the Future.
not anytime soon, mate
and also you'll need the hardware to run it, not just the mobo.
you'll need a pcie4 nvme ssd - which is currently double the price - for not a lot of gain outside of benchmarks.
and pcie4 gpu which is a bit pointless as current gpus don't even saturate pcie3 x16 lanes (outside of a sli titan v)

Caporegime
@Grimley futureproofing is a myth. The most "futureproofed" build is the best value build you can get for your budget.

Agree but that doesn't stop the end user making smart choices in the first place...Like will this VRM on this mobo I'm about to buy handle a 3950x when the 4000 series hits etc...

If I spend X now then I can use Y in the future....

Can I plonk in a cheap 3900x when easyider buys a 3950 x and I snag a bargain in MM :p

Back
Top Bottom