£1000+ video editor - parts list complete - please review

Associate
OP
I currently have an external HDD, so not too worried about long term storage. Plus if I do get the extra 1TB nvme, stuff can sit there for some time before I need to move it off. In addition to all that, I'll probably move the 3 HDDs in my old system (2 SATA and 1 IDE) to the new rig if I can make space in the case - assuming that's not a bad idea? I really hope I can run my old rig as a VM on the new setup. I can't see a reason for it not to work, other than sod's law lol

I'm ok to pay the extra for the X570. 99% sure I don't need to, even if I do get the 3900x. But I just want to have those two m2 drives and not worry about the PCI slots being disabled - even though I have no idea what to do with them lol. I don't have any hardware, nor can I think of anything that I'll need that uses PCI. In case I get a 2700x now, the X570 should leave me in a good position to just swap it out for a 3900x or 3950x in future. Rather than worry about all the what ifs with the other motherboards, it sounds like I can just rest easy with the X570.

Going to flip a coin to choose psu and case. I've been brainwashed into believing that anything less than one of these three cases will give me a lot of headache down the line. P400, NR600 and H500. Slightly leaning towards the H500 though only because of looks. Not too bothered about PSU since all the suggestions seem good. I'll get the one that I can get the best deal on.

It would be so nice if someone here sold me their old 3900x? Pretty please? :D

Man of Honour
IDE? lol there's no connectors for these any more
how old are the other 2 drives?

But I just want to have those two m2 drives and not worry about the PCI slots being disabled - even though I have no idea what to do with them lol. I don't have any hardware, nor can I think of anything that I'll need that uses PCI. In case I get a 2700x now, the X570 should leave me in a good position to just swap it out for a 3900x or 3950x in future. Rather than worry about all the what ifs with the other motherboards, it sounds like I can just rest easy with the X570.
and as you've alluded to, 99% of computers only use one pcie component - the gpu, and the rest of the pcie slots sit there gathering dust.
there's not many reasons to get two ssds over one larger ssd.
sure you can bang on about "upgradeability", but as you've said, it sounds like you don't really know what you want to upgrade from/to - and the vast majority of people who talk about their upgrades, never really get around to it. Unless you know you're going to upgrade, and you have it already budgeted out and know what from/to... Don't plan around it and get the best value component. and in this case, it isn't an x570 board.
the msi board that myself and easyrider have suggested will handle a 3900x/3950x no issues

P400, NR600 and H500
at stock, they all have very restrictive ventilation

Associate
OP
The price difference justified me giving it a second thought. You're right - if I need to deal with the BIOS update and just DO THAT INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT AND COMPLEX TASK, there is literally nothing for me to gain with the X570. I'll go with the Pro Carbon just for the extra M2 cos that I will definitely use as opposed to the SATA or PCI which, as you pointed out, I won't.

I wouldn't mind one large SSD, except its stupidly priced compared to the 1tb (£90). Plus I thought it was good practice to keep my source footage on a separate drive from the OS/Programs and if its on another nvme, isn't that ideal? I'm beginning to realise that I've been struggling with non SSDs for way too long and am trying way too hard to make up for it by getting two nvme drives. I would have thought that enthusiasts would love something like that.

The other two SATA drives are very old ~ more than 12 years. And they're currently running in raid0, 250gb each, and haven't had any issues since I put them into my current PC 9 years ago, after the one before that died. Any reason to not use them in the new system?

Thanks for saving me some cash. What case would you recommend? Do I really need anything fancy or with additional fans? I'm not overclocking or gaming and will probably spend a few hours a week editing vids. Watching vids and youtube etc will be very frequent.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't mind one large SSD, except its stupidly priced compared to the 1tb (£90). Plus I thought it was good practice to keep my source footage on a separate drive from the OS/Programs and if its on another nvme, isn't that ideal? I'm beginning to realise that I've been struggling with non SSDs for way too long and am trying way too hard to make up for it by getting two nvme drives. I would have thought that enthusiasts would love something like that.
what i normally see from video editors is:
1st is the fastest ssd (normally nvme) for use as the main drive and scratch disk.
then 2nd ssd for the immediate encoding output (which can be a cheaper drive, again either nvme or sata 3 depending on prices - but now that nvme has reached parity with sata 3 drives - no reason to consider sata 3 unless lacking 2nd nvme slot)
drives 3 onwards are storage drives (usually raid/nas/server storage)
and then cloud storage

drive 2 can be eliminated if you have a large and fast enough nvme ssd

The other two SATA drives are very old ~ more than 12 years. And they're currently running in raid0, 250gb each, and haven't had any issues since I put them into my current PC 9 years ago, after the one before that died. Any reason to not use them in the new system?
because it's 9 years old and small - and i guess the theoretical chances of it dying is exponentially greater the older the drives are. might as well get 2x new 1tb drives to raid
but other than that, can't think of any reason not to reuse them

What case would you recommend?
zalman i3 is a cheap and cheerful case with decent looks/airflow. though build quality isn't as good as the phanteks/nzxt. but you do get 4 white led fans as stock, so don't need to buy any extras

Do I really need anything fancy or with additional fans? I'm not overclocking or gaming and will probably spend a few hours a week editing vids.
again as we've mentioned at the start of the thread, what video editing program you use will heavily influence what build is best.
adobe = cpu
davinci = gpu

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,193.01 (includes shipping: £13.20)

suggested areas to consider from the above build:
32gb ram - i don't know what size files you work with, so could potentially drop to 16gb ram to save £60
drives - again not sure what your exact requirements are, so i've listed the worst case scenario - 1 fast nvme ssd, 1 slower nvme ssd and 2x 1tb raid drives...can remove all or none to save some dosh

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For now I'm going to stick with one nvme 1TB. With the Pro Carbon, I can easily stick another one in whenever. Plus I don't actually need more storage thanks to my external HDD, which is damn slow but who cares...

16GB ram should be more than enough for my needs. I should be getting it from OcUK for £80 - 16GB 3600 MHz

You've just given me something to think about with regards to the case - Do I stick with stock NR600 for £70, or spend £90 on the case and cooler you've recommended? I'm guessing that means I won't be needing the stock cooler that comes with a Ryzen?

Interesting because there's a used 3900x going for £445 with no fan or box... Though I already placed a £480 bid on another 'bought but never used' 3900x which hasn't moved for a day... maybe that bid was too high lol. Its only £40 less than new. Got till tomorrow night for the auction to end. Might search around for an extra few days for a used 3900x if I don't win this one.

Got a basket on two sites comprising all parts needed, except CPU. £230.47 and £484.41. So with a 3900x at £520 total comes to 1233.88, or with a 2700x at £165, total is 879.88. I could save about a tenner if I order the Palit 1660 Super StormX from a third site. Potentially add another £20 for going with your case/cooler option. That, with the used, fanless 3900x would come to £1160 total.

Man of Honour
I should be getting it from OcUK for £80 - 16GB 3600 MHz
3200 is enough: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-blac-my-0a2-tg.html

You've just given me something to think about with regards to the case - Do I stick with stock NR600 for £70, or spend £90 on the case and cooler you've recommended? I'm guessing that means I won't be needing the stock cooler that comes with a Ryzen?
the cooler is in addition to the case. not instead of.
if you're going to do a few hours of rendering, you'd want the cpu to have as high clock speeds as possible.
the stock cooler is decent, but i wouldn't consider using it if i were going to hammer the cpu for hours on end.

Its only £40 less than new.
£480 is the normal price of the 3900x - it's currently being gouged by etailers due to supposed "lack of stock"

Associate
OP
Could I have some more advice on the case? Would you prefer that £43 case over the £70 NR600, both stock configuration?

Can't seem to find any English reviews for the Zalman i3, but I gotta admit it looks nice and the 4 fans has got to be a plus point...

Still doubt I'm going to be loading the CPU enough to justify a different cooler. Right now I just want to get the case right.

Man of Honour
both stock configuration?
at stock, no contest, i3 with 4 fans wins hands down
the build quality of the nr600 would likely be better than the i3 though (but you're literally paying double the price - as you only get 2 fans on the nr600)

Can't seem to find any English reviews for the Zalman i3, but I gotta admit it looks nice and the 4 fans has got to be a plus point...
we specced someone the i3 before...here are some real life shots of his build with the zalman i3:

Some moody night shots:
4HI3kWw.jpg

FauMiAy.jpg

wJ4Wqay.jpg

My cable management was ok, the only issue I've got is what to do the cables that lead to the GPU. As I used two separate cables there are a few redundant 'heads' bobbing about and because the cables are quite stiff and chunky I struggled to bend them anywhere!

Associate
OP
Ok thanks a lot. Gonna think about the case and maybe the motherboard for a bit, but really its about seeing if I get that (or can get a nicely priced) 3900x.

Soldato
I think the 3950 is possibly a given - he doesn't hold onto parts for long - likes to play with new tech (guessing from frequent sig changes).

Are you really thinking of slotting in a 3900(?) - It's a mighty munchkin build now (did you stick with the 3 NVMe?) - the addition of the 3900 would certainly add the 'WTF factor' :D

You'll have to create a caveat sig for your spec advice:

"Do as i say, not as i do." :D

Man of Honour
Are you really thinking of slotting in a 3900(?) - It's a mighty munchkin build now (did you stick with the 3 NVMe?) - the addition of the 3900 would certainly add the 'WTF factor' :D
if the price is right...then yesh 3900x ofc. but i won't be sad either if i don't...3700x is doing everything fine
(and tbh i can't think of one reason why i would need the 3900x...other than because i want it and can afford it lol...until the chinese in me thinks wtf)

but yes, currently still in its current state, a pocket rocket

and it's a dual nvme setup with 2x mp 510 960gb
but i'd have gone with a single 2tb nvme drive if the rocket was on sale when i was building
(was £185 for the 2tb drive a fortnight ago...but i couldn't justify changing my current drives lol)

"Do as i say, not as i do." :D
:D
well if everyone had an unlimited budget then they're free to do whatever they want lol

Back
Top Bottom