£1000+ video editor - parts list complete - please review

Soldato
/off topic

until the chinese in me thinks wtf
Well, if your head didn't spin off at 32Gb of memory (we're all doing it and keeping it out of specs) - i think the novelty factor of 12c/24t will shove any deep seated reasoning aside.

:D
well if everyone had an unlimited budget then they're free to do whatever they want lol
Yep, the relative ease in which your build was setup - *cough* :D - and the great temps and non events you've had since; i may replace the kid's Xbox one X in the lounge as it virtually has the same footprint as your case. Only concern is that your temps - they're great - but you run full tilt so I may have a small favour to ask in the future - i.e. a fan curve testing at idle/nominal load. I'll only pester you if I can be bothered as i use my laptops in the sitting room - but it would be a laugh playing Factorio on the big screen (my guilty pleasure). Tried steam link but too hit and miss, plus laptops do the job but would still be fun to play RTS, and the odd FPS on a stupidly sized screen.

*Agree re redundant PCIe slots - amazed there weren't more mATX offerings - hopefully be addressed with the B550s.

Caporegime
I think the 3950 is possibly a given - he doesn't hold onto parts for long - likes to play with new tech (guessing from frequent sig changes).

Are you really thinking of slotting in a 3900(?) - It's a mighty munchkin build now (did you stick with the 3 NVMe?) - the addition of the 3900 would certainly add the 'WTF factor' :D

You'll have to create a caveat sig for your spec advice:

"Do as i say, not as i do." :D
I will be buying a 3950x if I can get one :)

Man of Honour
if your head didn't spin off at 32Gb of memory (we're all doing it and keeping it out of specs)
well i've been speccing 32gb for the more recent non-budget builds, if that's what you mean :p
(and i've also done the same in this thread lol)

boo you :p

i.e. a fan curve testing at idle/nominal load
how do you want me to test?

Associate
OP
Ok enough!

Ordering... nope. ORDERED the following now:

Team Group Vulcan TUF Gaming Alliance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Blac £59.99*
Super Flower Leadex III 550W 80 PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply - Black £59.99*
Intel 660p 1TB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD £89.98
Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB Graphics Card £214.83
NZXT Black H510 Mid Tower Windowed PC Gaming Case £60.47
Order Total £495.76
Though only a £20 saving, I reckon the 3600 ram is wasted on me so went with 3200. All of that is staying boxed until I get the motherboard which I haven't decided on yet. Can't retract my bid on the 3900x without contacting the seller... I think I'll wait and see if I get it for £480.

It has begun...

Last edited:
Soldato
@Harmonaz - best of luck with the build (Friendly heads up - I would remove the competitor/retailer names from the above post - OcUK mods will edit your post and you'll have @orbitalwalsh for company)

@tamzzy - i'll give details later as i've derailed his thread enough - but something along the lines of minimal to nominal cpu/case fan speed until 80 degrees (and not using a GPU intensive game). And minimal fans at idle - as long as CPU below 50 degrees (silence is key for lounge).

@easyrider - best of luck with the 3950x lottery.

Associate
OP
Nah, I've been outbid. Its currently sitting at £490. Still very surprised though that its the only one given today is 3950x day - not that I can see it anywhere lol.

My car is about to get written off most likely. Buying another is not a cheap thing. A sign perhaps? That I should just spend all my money and get a 3900x...

Associate
OP
Is there anything else available in the UK when it comes to dental??? Hope you get that sorted out. I haven't seen a dentist in over 20 years. Planning a trip to the third (if not second) most corrupt country in the world soon so I might get a checkup done there for a few quid...

Already midday and I still can't see any sign of 'movement' in the AMD CPU market. All I've got from youtube so far is a couple of angry reviews of Intel and their new chip.

If prices really do stay the same, I might go with a 3700x. First I was thinking 2700x + second 1TB nvme, but that's the same cost as a 3700x, assuming I stick with the low end 660p. OR, I could just get the 2700x and wait for nvme and CPU prices to drop and upgrade later. The 3900x I was bidding on is still at 490 and I doubt I'll place any more bids on it. If I really want it, an extra £20 will get me a new one.

Associate
OP
That 3900x went for £500 in the end.

Almost got tricked by TWO sellers selling the 3900 or 3700 at just 30 or 40 quid less than new, with the description 'opened, unused' - but no mention of no fan! I found out because I sent them private messages.

Associate
OP
what does that mean? Surely they had more than 31 units to start off with, or does that queue refer to AFTER they ran out of stock? The website says ETA January 2020 - is that how long you need to wait?

Back
Top Bottom