1000 watt power supply and going to uni

Associate
Ok so I'm going to be living in halls soon (very exciting), but I noticed in its terms that my rooms total appliances can't exceed 1000 watts. The problem is, my computer uses a 1000 watt power supply. I'm wondering, will my computer draw on all 1000 watts if its idling/playing games. I have a q6600 and 4870x2, I know the card is power hungry but not to the point where its taking all 1000 watts?

Will I be safe with my current power supply or am I going to have to downgrade?

Soldato
i doubt it'll be using all 1000W.

althou it would depend on the efficeny of the PSU. As the less efficent the more power it will need to draw.

Soldato
You're safe. That PSU is overkill for your CPU and and 4870x2, the word efficiency has probably escaped you :p

450 - 500 Watts at best would be your power consumption at the wall, depending on the rest of your system and components.

What PSU is it?

Soldato
Depending on the PSU efficiency & spec of the PC it can draw from the mains more than 1000W. What's the full spec?

Maybe invest in a plug-in/socket type power consumption meter to be certain.

I have a APC UPS which through its software interface can show how much power is being used :cool:

Associate
OP
You're safe. That PSU is overkill for your CPU and and 4870x2, the word efficiency has probably escaped you :p

Yea I figured I'd upgrade in the future so I left the option open.

As for the full spec of my system, I can hardly remember it was so long ago I made it. It has 4gb of ram and 1 hard drive, 1 22" monitor, so I'm confident now it won't go over 1000 watts. It won't be on that much, I don't intend to be cooped up inside at uni :rolleyes:

Associate
Seems like a stupid rule unless they mean 1000W average usage, I mean what if someone wanted to use a hair dryer? :D

Cannot use hair dryers in your rooms in halls, most of them you have to go to kitchen or hall to use it otherwise the power gets knocked off in your room. Such a hassle that was.

RJC

RJC

Don
To give a idea, my i7 @ 4ghz with the 4870x2 pulled something like 500 - 530w from the mains at full load (prime & Win mark 06)

Soldato
1000w? That's a joke?

Aren't you allowed to have a mini fridge + tv in there?

Lol, I couldn't live in uni residency.

Anyway, if I were you, just to be safe, I'd sell your 1000w PSU and buy a smaller one, unless you really need 1000w.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Nail, head.

They put in terms, you try your damnedest to meet them. They do no checks etc, and reap the benefits. All for the sake of typing a few extra words they save a tonne of dosh. Winwin.

but not really, it's not complicated to stick each room on it's own breaker - and have it trip at ~2.5A.

Back
Top Bottom