100mm hole through wood....deep

Associate
What's at the bottom of the render? Are there a few courses of bricks above the ground before the render starts? I've used double 200mm x 75mm timbers bolted together as lintels on timber framing and you really don't want to drill through those. They could be picking up the load from the teh roof, you really need to be at least 200mm from the window/door reveal to the edge of the hole before you start drilling (professional wood butcher)

Caporegime
OP
What's at the bottom of the render? Are there a few courses of bricks above the ground before the render starts? I've used double 200mm x 75mm timbers bolted together as lintels on timber framing and you really don't want to drill through those. They could be picking up the load from the teh roof, you really need to be at least 200mm from the window/door reveal to the edge of the hole before you start drilling (professional wood butcher)

Yeah there's a few bricks at the bottom before the render

Can you explain the part where you say '200mm from the window/door reveal'?

Edit: think I get it now. I can measure when I'm home again, but going by what you say it might be 200mm from the top of the window reveal

Last edited:
Associate
The lintel above your window/door frame, whether it's metal or timber will be supported either side of the opening, usually by 150mm on both sides, so if your opening is 1m wide then the lintel length would be 1.3m long. 150mm bearing either side (left and right) , whether it sits on timber or brickwork. That's what I getting at, you'd need to miss that if you didn’t have room above it to fit duct. Probably best off doing an exploritory hole to see what's there above lintel, or drill it one side of lintel, phew! Pictures would help

Caporegime
OP
The lintel above your window/door frame, whether it's metal or timber will be supported either side of the opening, usually by 150mm on both sides, so if your opening is 1m wide then the lintel length would be 1.3m long. 150mm bearing either side (left and right) , whether it sits on timber or brickwork. That's what I getting at, you'd need to miss that if you didn’t have room above it to fit duct. Probably best off doing an exploritory hole to see what's there above lintel, or drill it one side of lintel, phew! Pictures would help

Sort of getting it

I'll try get pictures when I'm back home. But literally imagine a galley kitchen, at the end you have the single door, a single window, then a bit of space next to the window where the poop pipe runs from upstairs, that's how wide everything is

So I guess in short I can't go either side of the lintel, as the space doesnt exist, I can only go above it

Caporegime
OP
Need pictures to really help here. Even if its done in paint!

Yep @jonzun @ratface

pq5ZwRE.jpg

Sorry for potato pic, so, you have:

Left of the door is approx 4cm plaster
Door is 92cm
Window is 59/60 cm
Then you have about 15cm where the poo pipe is

The gap above the door/window is 33.5cm

The hole there already doesn't go all the way through, but there are definitely two bits of timber there, the lower half may possibly be lintel, ignition was 27cm in height would that make sense?

Last edited:
Soldato
You might find that if you bring the hole down to the top of the door that it drops below the level of the lintel. Then just box in from the ceiling down?

Caporegime
OP
You might find that if you bring the hole down to the top of the door that it drops below the level of the lintel. Then just box in from the ceiling down?

Why do you think that? Genuinely interested!

I could take a look, might be worth taking off a section of the plaster tbh anyway

From all the examples the lintels are at the level of the door/window?

Last edited:
Associate
Agree with above move hole down a bit, you can get an offset round to square adapter for duct which may help in making the boxing closer to ceiling

Soldato
That looks like your going through the sole plate / bearer of the first floor joists to me. Pop a pilot drill in 75mm down and 200mm to the left, I bet theres nothing there.

What ever you do don't put a core drill through the back face of the render, you'll knock a load off in the process.

Caporegime
OP
That looks like your going through the sole plate / bearer of the first floor joists to me. Pop a pilot drill in 75mm down and 200mm to the left, I bet theres nothing there.

What ever you do don't put a core drill through the back face of the render, you'll knock a load off in the process.

Nope, wood all the way along above the door and window I'm afraid.

And ate, we did the bathroom one before just fine, drilled the render from the outside so as not to do what you said.

Back
Top Bottom